Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the general fecking public

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    the second kid claimed that he could weld aluminum to a brick. enough said

2. Lounge   -   #12
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    While stressedly trying to hang up an art work in the national hospital which they had commissioned me for.
    It was right by the big open seating area by the entrance
    A woman came up to me and asked
    "is that art"
    I turned and said
    "yes, unless you don't think so"
    she turned away and said to the seating area
    "now we know where all our tax money goes to, hmmf"
    I continued my work

I have not to this day taken welfare. The money to make this piece came from the hospital foundation which is built up on the rent of the rich people who donated it to the city, in order to make the hospital less "hospital".
    But that type of cliche statement mentality is the worst of the worst.

in after thought a direct confrontation on my behalf would have brought ....
    Last edited by 100%; 09-09-2006 at 06:15 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    While stressedly trying to hang up an art work in the national hospital which they had commissioned me for.
    It was right by the big open seating area by the entrance
    A woman came up to me and asked
    "is that art"
    I turned and said
    "yes, unless you don't think so"
    she turned away and said to the seating area
    "now we know where all our tax money goes to, hmmf"
    I continued my work

I have not to this day taken welfare. The money to make this piece came from the hospital foundation which is built up on the rent of the rich people who donated it to the city, in order to make the hospital less "hospital".
    But that type of cliche statement mentality is the worst of the worst.

in after thought a direct confrontation on my behalf would have brought ....
    Given the general state of idiocy prevalent in the idea of tax money funding "art", I think that, on the occasion privately funded art draws such commentary, it behooves the artist to relieve the commentator of his/her ignorance.

Whether or not such art has mass appeal pales alongside it's legitimacy, and the funding for which is the result of greater due diligence on the part of those responsible for it's commission.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Given the general state of idiocy prevalent in the idea of tax money funding "art",
    Agreed as stated above

I think that,
    ok tell me - allthough i had to read your post a few times to remember who i was

on the occasion privately funded art draws such commentary, it behooves the artist to relieve the commentator of his/her ignorance.
    I agree and have had to this day recurrant experiences of it, however that one bothered me immensenly as i was pressed for time and the naivity of the question was pointless, but yes i thought of many smart ass answers afterwards. That moment, that place was a monument for more people to understand, oh the regret.

Whether or not such art has mass appeal pales alongside it's legitimacy, and the funding for which is the result of greater due diligence on the part of those responsible for it's commission.
    This is the part i absolutly do not at all understand, please rephraise.
    Last edited by 100%; 09-09-2006 at 08:15 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Privately funded art hanging in a public space I find more legitimate in any case, and will be generally more recognizable as genuine "art"; that is to say that it's qualities as art will be more readily discernable to those who view it...all this owing to the greater responsibility felt by the patrons who contract for such pieces.

They know art, and know good art is worth their patronage.

Publically-funded art is another bucket of slop altogether, and much more of a needle-in-a-haystack proposition.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    here at MSU a certain percentage of the cost to build each building has to go to fund public art. but hey, thats how we got the "wind arc" (we call it the noodle)

Plan for the worst, hope for the best

7. Lounge   -   #17
    ...we call it the noodle...

I don't wonder why.

You have my sympathy.

I must say, the "noodle"-support looks like a quality piece of work.

I do like stainless steel.
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-09-2006 at 08:58 PM.

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    actually, it's pretty well liked, particularly when you consider what the other stuff looks like- I'm not even going to try to describe it, its just to weird.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

9. Lounge   -   #19
    actually, it's pretty well liked, particularly when you consider what the other stuff looks like- I'm not even going to try to describe it, its just to weird.
    An (uncooked) noodle is the best of a marginal lot, then?

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #20
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    We need a "shit stuff in my town" thread.
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast