Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to download 700mb files fast

Poster BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    i don't get the point of this thread. 1st - there is no way you can compress a 700M file and make it 50M or so unless it's a file that was prepared for compression (a special file that is only used to demonstrate that this can be done, same block or char for n times or something like that)
    2nd - it's not very important what software you use or what protocol is used. if you have a 100M connection, the other party has a 100M connection and there is no problem between the 2 computers (like a slow router or something) then you will get the 100M speed. it is not important what protocol is used (except SMTP cause when you attach something to the mail the file size grows).
    usually if you download something form yahoo or download.com the speed you have is the bandwidth that's available to you in that moment. if you download from other sites/ftp's/ ... the speed you get might be lower because the bandwidth available on the other side is lower. on torrents you get very good speeds cause when there are lot's of seeds and not so many leech there is a lot of bw available.
    to give you an answer to your question, the best way to download something from the internet is to use any software you have available for that protocol (torrent client / ftp client / internet browser /...) and you will get the best possible speed.
    Last edited by astarow; 12-21-2006 at 09:48 PM.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by astarow View Post
    to give you an answer to your question, the best way to download something from the internet is to use any software you have available for that protocol (torrent client / ftp client / internet browser /...) and you will get the best possible speed.

Thanks Sherlock....

The OP obviously doesn't understand the file sharing networks as well as vets like yourself... If he knew all the options, and protocols, he wouldn't be posting.

People are suggesting usenet over torrents because then he wont have to worry about the servers bandwidth, only his. His downloads will be as fast as his connection, not as fast as his seeds.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgjunkie View Post

Thanks Sherlock....

The OP obviously doesn't understand the file sharing networks as well as vets like yourself... If he knew all the options, and protocols, he wouldn't be posting.

People are suggesting usenet over torrents because then he wont have to worry about the servers bandwidth, only his. His downloads will be as fast as his connection, not as fast as his seeds.
    i don't get it Watson ... if i want a file that's available only on torrents (and even more specific on one tracker) how can i use usenet to get it ? and vice versa.
    my advice was very simple: use a torrent client if the file you want is available on torrents ( not worrying about what client you use), use a ftp client if the file you want is availbale on ftp, use a DC client if you download form DC netrowrk....

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    darcklord's Avatar Moonlight's coming!!
    P2M is not so fast, first you have a problem to locate server then when you finally locate the server you have to wait to long to download the file. That is my experience with P2M .
    PS. I was waiting approximately about 12 hours
    ..... the clock is ticking tick, tac, tic, tac.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123