Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: First driving lesson next week!! Yayyy

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    You don't need glasses now. A monocle should suffice

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    retook the eye test, and passed.. did the other one at another optometrist.. thank god for that.. a real relief

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    About starting on hills, as J2 said, be careful because there will be roll back, pray to god the person behind you isn't close (tailgating).

And I think that most people should learn how to drive on standard/manual transmission cars, that way they know how to drive both and Auto and Manual.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    About starting on hills, as J2 said, be careful because there will be roll back, pray to god the person behind you isn't close (tailgating).
    If your driving skills require you "pray to god" then maybe you need to practice more. God is not going to help you, but you can help yourself by awareness of hazards and driving in a manner that will safely allow preventative action. This doesn't mean that you will always be protected from the actions of others but it greatly reduces risks. Most "accidents" are caused by human error.

J2 said you need to have your heal on the brake while your toe is on the accelerator for uphill starting.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Driving away on an uphill can be tricky, occasionally requiring a heel-toe brake-throttle technique, but we'll save that for later.
    I have to assume he was joking

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I
    J2 said you need to have your heal on the brake while your toe is on the accelerator for uphill starting.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Driving away on an uphill can be tricky, occasionally requiring a heel-toe brake-throttle technique, but we'll save that for later.
    I have to assume he was joking
    1. I did not say "heal". That would make no sense whatsoever.

2. You quote of my post is accurate, though, and-

3. No, I was not joking. It is a common enough technique amongst those who can execute it, which group I gather does not include yourself.

Excellent drivers separate themselves thus from others whose efforts are, shall we say, more pedestrian.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Yes I agree you did indeed say heel and I mistyped.
    It's a terminology thing....however......
    How does "heel toe" Which seems to be similar to what I call double de-clutching when downshifting but single clutching relate to pulling away uphill?
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Excellent drivers separate themselves thus from others whose efforts are, shall we say, more pedestrian.
    There's no such thing............ Only people who think they are. Often included in this group are people that have had many accidents (somehow always the other guys fault)

Some drivers are better than others.

I passed my IAM test back in the eighties. I don't think it makes me an excellent driver. It made me more aware of how lacking the basic test standard (back then) was. It also dispelled a lot of my thinking as to what made for a good driver.
    Very few think they are a bad driver. Many think everyone else is. ( this is different from assuming the guy in the other car is a bad driver and will make a mistake as part of defensive driving)
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-12-2006 at 02:43 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Yes I agree you did indeed say heel and I mistyped.

There's no such thing............ Only people who think they are.

That is an utterly wrong and stupid thing to say.

Often included in this group are people that have had many accidents (somehow always the other guys fault)

I have never been the driver in an accident in my life.

Hopefully that will never change.

Some drivers are better than others.

Oh, so they can be better...just not excellent, huh?

I passed my IAM test back in the eighties. I don't think it makes me an excellent driver. It made me more aware of how lacking the basic test standard (back then) was. It also dispelled a lot of my thinking as to what made for a good driver.
    Very few think they are a bad driver. Many think everyone else is. ( this is different from assuming the guy in the other car is a bad driver and will make a mistake as part of defensive driving)
    This is news?

As to the original point, which was your taking exception to my blurb about heel-toe technique, I note you still do not acknowledge it.

How do you account for this, your being an extremely well-trained, yet self-effacing, less-than-excellent-but-willing-to-say-the-other-guy-sucks kind of driver?

In closing, I will admit that, by the standards of some, I may not be an excellent driver.

I would bet, though, by most standards, I am a better (and certainly more resourceful) driver than you are.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18

That is an utterly wrong and stupid thing to say.
    yes this ^ reply is wrong..

Now there are good/better drivers always striving to improve, excellent...no

I have never been the driver in an accident in my life.

Hopefully that will never change.
    Can you honestly say that in all that time it's never been more luck than judgment?

Oh, so they can be better...just not excellent, huh?
    yes.

This is news?

As to the original point, which was your taking exception to my blurb about heel-toe technique, I note you still do not acknowledge it.

How do you account for this, your being an extremely well-trained, yet self-effacing, less-than-excellent-but-willing-to-say-the-other-guy-sucks kind of driver?
    In the later edit: which could have been better put in a new post, but
    It's a terminology thing....however......
    How does "heel toe" Which seems to be similar to what I call double de-clutching when downshifting but with single clutching relate to pulling away uphill?

In closing, I will admit that, by the standards of some, I may not be an excellent driver.
    nice of you to admit it

I would bet, though, by most standards, I am a better (and certainly more resourceful) driver than you are.
    and then you pull it back with a big head...the attitude I mentioned.
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-12-2006 at 03:08 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Oh, ffs.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Heel - toe is a method of keeping the revs up when changing gear, something racing drivers do all the time, it is not for hill starts, that's what the handbrake is for. Telling a young kid going for his test to use heel - toe for pulling away on hills is stupid and irresponsible.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast