Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Newbie Faq, But......

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    thats the whole point of a virtual drive though, its virtual so it isnt realy there, therefore when you mount a .cue/.bin on it its isnt using any space at all on your hdd, basically its exactly the same as burning it and installing from a cd, when you put the cd in your cd player your not using any space on your hdd until you install, well its exactly the same with a virtual drive, you should give it a try, ive done it your way many moons ago and i must admit this way is a hell of a lot easier esp when you can burn it straight away if you have alcohol installed, which is imo the best burner/organiser/virtual drive application out there, better than nero/clonecd and daemon tools.

2. Games   -   #12
    Woah do i actually have to read all that?

3. Games   -   #13
    When i first was learning about BINs and ISOs. i learned through my own research how to extract files with ISO Buster and WinISO. and thats the way i did it for months untill i heard of Virtual CD Roms. .. in fact if there is a setup.exe file after you extract the contents to a folder you can just click on it to install

Then i started using Daemon Tools and Alcohols. its just a waste of time to extract all the files first, then burn them.

Thats like puting a Real CD in your Rom, extracting the files from it, then burning all the files you just extracted(re imaging it) just to install it.

You already have the Image with the ISO or BIN. just mount it and install it.

And its not a good idea to burn images without testing them for corruption first, unless you have CD-Rs coming out of your @ss and you can afford it.

I install everything on a emulator first. if no errors and i like the game/program , then i burn it.

P.S. many games have cracks put on the BINs and they dont get transfered over in the install, and you need ISO Buster to extract the Crack folder after you do a install

4. Games   -   #14
    Okay, thanks all, I'm starting to understand.

One thing, though, is the terminology: What does it mean to "mount the bin/iso"? How is that accomplished?

5. Games   -   #15
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Kevhead2@29 May 2003 - 16:12
    And its not a good idea to burn images without testing them for corruption first, unless you have CD-Rs coming out of your @ss...
    As a matter of fact I do. I haven't paid for a blank CD-R in four years. I always get the free 50 packs from Best Buy, Circuit City, or Officemax whenever they have them (which is pretty often).

And I still don't see any benefit in using a virtual drive. But to each his own, I suppose.

6. Games   -   #16
    Originally posted by GullyFoyle@29 May 2003 - 21:15
    Okay, thanks all, I'm starting to understand.

One thing, though, is the terminology: What does it mean to "mount the bin/iso"? How is that accomplished?
    Mounting a Image means you are loading the BIN or ISO or CloneCD image or a host of other images to your Virtual CD-ROM.

If you have not downloaded a Virtual CD ROM then you wont know what im talking about.

Download Daemon Tools (their site is down now) , you can get Daemon Tools from kazaa im sure. or Download Alcohol 120%...CloneCD also has a emulator

After you get one of those you will have a NEW CD-ROM in the my computer window..its a software CD-ROM.

Then you right click on your new CD-ROM and choose the option to mount Image, then you find the ISO or BIN and load it, it installs just like you put a CD in your PC

7. Games   -   #17
    SuperMarioMario83's Avatar Member
    Hmm...interesting...

*runs off to download it*

8. Games   -   #18
    Try to get version 3.29 or higher of Daemon Tools...then check all the emulation options.

3.29 can emulate safedisk, securom, laserlok and RMPS

So you can play your game right from the Virtual ROM if they have one of those 4 protections...no need for the no CD crack

9. Games   -   #19
    Cool, thanks.

I now have Daemon Tools (3.23 and 3.29), alcohol.120.1.4.3.410.exe, and WinISO 5.3.

Which do you recommend I use?

10. Games   -   #20
    I use Daemon Tools. i have Alcohols but never use it. but im sure its just as good
    I just install, get the crack if needed and play the game.
    Sometimes the crack is placed on one of the CDs and you need WinISO to browse the BIN and extract it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast