View Poll Results: should hate crimes include sexuality ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes there is a need

4 44.44%
  • no there is no need, but keep the present categories

3 33.33%
  • there should be no hate crime laws at all

2 22.22%
  • the laws should go further to include more categories

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hate crimes

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUVT View Post
    So what your saying is... if I call a woman a Bitch before back handing her, it is no longer asault it is a hate crime?
    No.

on a side note I would like to ask whoever said "no there is no need, but keep the present categories" why they think that the present categories merit special treatment but not those targeted specifically for their sexuality?
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-08-2007 at 08:10 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Perhaps I should have been more comprehensive in my answer:

Eliminate all hate-crimes legislation having to do with religion, race, sexuality or any of the other sundry and currently favored victimologies.

Wipe that shit off the books, and do it now.

Instead, make the particular brand of stupid-think that leads to such legislation a crime punishable by death.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Perhaps I should have been more comprehensive in my answer:

Eliminate all hate-crimes legislation having to do with religion, race, sexuality or any of the other sundry and currently favored victimologies.

Wipe that shit off the books, and do it now.
    You made that obvious and although I disagree at least you don't have exceptions.

Instead, make the particular brand of stupid-think that leads to such legislation a crime punishable by death.
    And then by making derogatory remarks instead of debating, your views on the topic are marginalized.

My question is to those that think certain categories such as religion merit the extra seriousness standard of the crime but not for other groups.

There has been a lot of misleading statements made about this bill and by far most objections I have seen have been about the bill doing things it does not do.
    Last edited by j2k4; 05-08-2007 at 10:07 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    You made that obvious and although I disagree at least you don't have exceptions.

Any need for the exceptions you seek is met by the variety of penalties extant, i.e., those having to do with murder, which you have already pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    And then by making derogatory remarks instead of debating, your views on the topic are marginalized.

My question is to those that think certain categories such as religion merit the extra seriousness standard of the crime but not for other groups.

There has been a lot of misleading statements made about this bill and by far most objections I have seen have been about the bill doing things it does not do.
    What the bill "does not do" (mostly) is make sense, and, unless you yourself are a Senator charged with the making of laws, you should not feel derogated by my remarks.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUVT View Post
    So what your saying is... if I call a woman a Bitch before back handing her, it is no longer asault it is a hate crime? This is just one more ridiculous thing that will waste tons of money and clog the entire juducial system with so called hate crimes, everytime someone gets there ass beat or gets looked at funny.

Somebody else sounds just like me in here!!
    Your brain is wonderful SHUVT!!
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 05-09-2007 at 06:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12