Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A review of our democrat congress, so far...

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

I was raised to use cutlery
    And j2, being Republican, believes all the pies belong to him- which leaves vid defenseless.
    although if the pie owning classes are allowed to accrue big enough pies the pieless will experience trickle down - nasty if the gravy is still hot.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

And j2, being Republican, believes all the pies belong to him- which leaves vid defenseless.
    for some reason I can't get the song "Ernie" out of my head now.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    for some reason I can't get the song "Ernie" out of my head now.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

No, not really true; vidcc just happens to be a pluperfectly horrible baker (I have it on good authority) even though he has lots of crust.

Trouble with him and his pies is the pies have no structural integrity and he throws them like a girl.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    I've been disappointed with the Democratic Congress so far. They rolled in with a lot of high hopes. But now that the July 4 break is over and Congress is returning to Washington, it will be interesting to see how much farther the Pelosi/Democrats push Bush on Iraq armed with fresh polls that show a majority of Americas willing to back impeachment of Cheney and a near majority wanting impeachment against Bush. The growing conventional wisdom is that Iraq is a quagmire, I expect the Democrats to show more ballz than they have to date.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    239 separate pieces of legislation had been passed in the House, then have been stalled or blocked by senate republicans objecting to just about every major piece of legislation

It’s quite a record the Senate minority has assembled.

EIGHT times Republican obstruction tactics slowed critical legislation

* Fulfilling the 9/11 Commission Recommendations (Passed 97-0, Roll Call Vote #53)
    * Improving security at our courts (Passed 93-3, Roll Call Vote #133)
    * Water Resources Development Act (Passed 89-7, Roll Call Vote #162)
    * A joint resolution to revise U.S. policy in Iraq (Passed 89-9, Roll Call Vote, #74)
    * Comprehensive Immigration Reform (Passed 69-23, Roll Call Vote #173)
    * Comprehensive Immigration Reform (Passed 64-35, Roll Call Vote #228)
    * CLEAN Energy Act (Passed 91-0, Roll Call Vote #208)
    * Funding for the Intelligence Community (Passed 94-3, Roll Call Vote #129)

FOUR times Republicans blocked legislation from being debated

* Senate Republicans blocked raising the minimum wage. (Rejected 54-43, Roll Call Vote #23)
    * Senate Republicans blocked ethics reforms (Rejected 51-46, Roll Call Vote #16)
    * Senate Republicans blocked comprehensive immigration reform (Rejected 45-50, Roll Call Vote #206)
    * Senate Republicans blocked funding for renewable energy (Rejected 57-36, Roll Call Vote #223)

FOUR times Republicans stopped bills from reaching a vote

* Senate Republicans blocked funding for the intelligence community. (Rejected 41-40, Roll Call Vote #130)
    * Senate Republicans blocked raising the minimum wage. (54-43, Roll Call Vote #23)
    * Senate Republicans blocked ethics reforms (Rejected 51-46, Roll Call Vote #16)
    * Senate Republicans blocked funding for renewable energy (Rejected 57-36, Roll Call Vote #223)

TWICE Republicans blocked bills from going to conference

* Senate Republicans blocked appointing conferees on the 9/11 Commission Recommendations (6/26/07)
    * Senate Republicans blocked appointing conferees on ethics reform (6/26/07)
    Legislation that would implement the 9/11 Commission recommendations has been passed in both houses and republican Mitch McConnell has now blocked it at the conference stage.
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-10-2007 at 03:40 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    It seems very strange that you allow one or two members to effectively block the whole legislative process.

Let me teach you a word that's become popular around the world.

D-E M-O-C-R-A-C-Y.

Get Dolly to sing a song about it, it may even catch on.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    It seems very strange that you allow one or two members to effectively block the whole legislative process.

D-E M-O-C-R-A-C-Y.

Get Dolly to sing a song about it, it may even catch on.
    Simple majority isn't enough, imo.

I would like to know the reason behind the Repubs blocking certain legislation though.

Blocking ethnics rules sounds rather fucked up.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

D-E M-O-C-R-A-C-Y.
    Like it or not it is Democracy. The Senate was devised this way so that the majority opinion could not overwhelm the minority opinion. The Senate is designed to be more deliberative.

In this example, The Senate may not be working they way you want it to but be glad when the Democrats were in the Senate Minority the Republican Congress wasn't able to push through more of Bush's agenda.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Today the republicans filibustered legislation that would have mandated better treatment of our military men and women, by placing strict conditions on how soon troops can be returned to combat after coming home from lengthy deployments.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast