Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Too Many Avi's Not Enough Mpg's

BANNED
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@4 July 2003 - 01:58
    Jetje color of a mpg/vcd has nothing to do with a comparison between avi, that is totally based on the source material.

And to the fact that avi is better... why is that the top release groups release mpgs/vcds instead of avi/divx encodes... gee i wonder... because overall the quality is better... with divx/xvid, sure it looks fine, but you also compress, and loose frames, encoding in that format...

mpgs are easier for transfer to to vcd, and thus easier to be played on dvd players. Bigger, yes, for the most part, but its also the full movie, with out compression, or data loss..
    Schmiggy_JK23,surprisin comin from someone like u with experience and knowledge of internet/movies.These groups concerns has nothing to do with quality there no1 prioity is bootleg in' and the average person who buy a bootleg think he can only play mpegs at home and even there slowly dyin out with dvd burners,i saw some guy the other day sellin bootleg cams not in mpg but converted on to dvd i know if i had the choice of every new release between a scr/rip and a cent/svcd i would choose avi and burn to dvd until the mpeg4 becomes standard on dvd players

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    mpeg 1 is better than mpeg 4 (AVI)?? you've got to be kidding.

and for people who think you have to watch AVI on your computer monitor, and that it's really worth wasting hours and hours converting to low resolution VCDs with washed out colors... buy a tv-out vga card for fifty bucks (u.s. dollars), problem solved.

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@3 July 2003 - 16:58
    Bigger, yes, for the most part, but its also the full movie, with out compression, or data loss..
    uh... mpeg 1 is a form of compression. and it's an outdated, inefficient form of compression.

and if anyone has any confusion about VCDs and SVCDs, SVCDs are mpeg 2 (like DVDs)-- not mpeg 1. so SVCD is no proof that mpeg 1 is better than anything.

4. Movies & TV   -   #34
    Poster
    why dont people zip/rar the avis to make them even smaller ?

5. Movies & TV   -   #35
    zipping does not compress all files. AVI and mp3 are already compressed, so a lot of times zipping has very little effect on the file size.

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Yes, I was refering to mpeg2, hence the fact of mentioning the latest ctp releases, all being svcd/mpeg2, not avi/divx.

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    I said it once before, when it comes to movies in mpg format, it's all about MPEG-2.

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    Originally posted by yNd aznbnet@5 July 2003 - 11:22
    I said it once before, when it comes to movies in mpg format, it's all about MPEG-2.
    well, at least i can't argue with that.

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    @Schmiggy_JK23 mpeg2 files are also compressed

mpeg3 is meant to be almost no compression and is tagged as the standard for hdtv but no one is using it yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234