Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How About A Newbie Section?

Forum Star

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Paul@5 July 2003 - 17:51
    Amen to that.....

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    Poor Newbies I don't know why they bother to ask questions. Its not a contagious disease to be a beginner and help is appreciated I'm sure! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    What is with the Die Newbie poster? Were you born with innate knowledge? I have a lot of respect for this forum and for everyone who takes the time to help others but the anti-newbie thing can be really off-putting. Yep I am one and I hesitate to ask a question because I don't want to get flamed. I look at the FAQ section and do searches but I don't always find answers to my questions. I posted a question today and hope someone can help without making me feel like an idiot cause I can't figure it out myself.
    I understand the frustration mods must feel with reading, to them, the same stupid questions over and over but that's life, unless you put a lot of restrictions onto this site. People are always going to ask 'dumb' questions and post in the 'wrong' area, they're human. I think the newbie forum is a good idea.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by sundara@6 July 2003 - 22:20
    What is with the Die Newbie poster? Were you born with innate knowledge? I have a lot of respect for this forum and for everyone who takes the time to help others but the anti-newbie thing can be really off-putting. Yep I am one and I hesitate to ask a question because I don't want to get flamed. I look at the FAQ section and do searches but I don't always find answers to my questions. I posted a question today and hope someone can help without making me feel like an idiot cause I can't figure it out myself.
    I understand the frustration mods must feel with reading, to them, the same stupid questions over and over but that's life, unless you put a lot of restrictions onto this site. People are always going to ask 'dumb' questions and post in the 'wrong' area, they're human. I think the newbie forum is a good idea.
    Recommended steps to getting a question answered
    1) Check the FAQ at the K-Lite site (others like moderator jetje should have the link in their sigs)
    2) If it's not K-Lite specific, make sure that you've checked Google as well
    3) Re-read the FAQ in full, to make sure that your question isn't answered.
    4) Use the Search facility in the forum to see if it's been asked before
    5) When you've exhausted the past four steps - and only when - feel free to ask the questions.

If you've done all that, then feel free to ask away - You'll find that once a member - newbie or not - has seriously tried to find the answer himself with no avail, then he'll be treated fairly and warmly; mainly because then, he'd have found something which has never been asked before and is something new for others to help with. Any who carry on with the abuse after this point usually hasn't tried to find it himself but is using a response designed for all problems. Two words - Ignore them

The anti-newbie atmosphere here isn't without reason - There are a few people who strive to answer genuine questions & help new people solve genuine problems. But when you see that people asking the same questions (when searching through the archives lets them find the answer in the first place), asking questions which have already been answered in the K-Lite FAQ, certain newbies talking with the semi-"l33t"/immature writing (e.g All caps, mobile-text writing - This isn't a text messaging forum you know ), saying the same damn articles about the RIAA et al when it's been done within the last 2 hours, and generally saying the same stuff as often as at least once every 6 hours (yes, it goes that far) - How TF can you expect long-term members to keep their cool?

10% of all new people (not "newbies") ask genuine questions and we answer them as best as we can - They become respected members in the forum.
    90% ask the same crap without bothering to find it themselves (i.e. wanting the answer served to them on a plate) - They become part of the newbie pile.

It's true that the forum has an anti-newbie feel to it, but that's only because of the overpowering percentages above. Don't feel that genuine first-time questions won't be answered maturely, because if they're all withdrawn by those 10% which keep us answerers sane, this place becomes a newbie firing range.

Then again, that isn't a bad idea...

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by sundara@6 July 2003 - 22:20
    Were you born with innate knowledge?
    You're saying that to the guy who effectively develops K-Lite for you to use in the first place.

Sorry - Just have to bring that up

Where's that 'owned' image with the tank?

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    iamtheoneandonlyone's Avatar Andromeda Ascendant
    Isn't that why we have a General Category section for newbies?

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    Illuminati: thanks for the patient reply to my post, guess that poster triggered something (so to speak). I do spend time trying to search out an answer, I'd rather find it myself than ask but, too, I don't want to spend a week googling.
    Got 2 very helpful responses to my question today.
    Whoever did develop K-lite is a god, no doubt about that.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    man@war's Avatar Member
    every body was newbie one day!
    i'm always trying to be helpfull.
    make a newbie section on the top so that newbies see it first

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    and we can all spam it with "Read the faq"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast