Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can i get an ISP service of another country?

AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustoP View Post
    You can't upload with satellite connection so don't even bother checking prices and coverage.
    Is that a technical issue (if so, tell us about it because I have no experience with sat uplink) or are you just discouraging it because the offers are so bad compared to other methods?
    It's technical, you can't transmit anything to satellite from your dish. That's how it works. You send requests using another connection (DSL, GPRS etc) to a proxy server and then response is sent from the satellite.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14

Is that a technical issue (if so, tell us about it because I have no experience with sat uplink) or are you just discouraging it because the offers are so bad compared to other methods?
    It's technical, you can't transmit anything to satellite from your dish. That's how it works. You send requests using another connection (DSL, GPRS etc) to a proxy server and then response is sent from the satellite.
    That's right, you can't transmit with that satellite dish, you can only download with it, so you still need a telephone line for the upload, so satellite internet is not an option for you, unfortunately

Maybe a 3G connection through a mobile provider, but it will be too expensive and it requires 3G coverage in your area

So the best option is a seedbox..

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    That's actually wrong. Internet access with a direct satellite uplink does exist for consumers (as I've linked to previously), my question was concerning the ability to use p2p programs via sat Internet. But that aside, the available speeds are considerably slower than most terrestrial broadband Internet so it's not an issue of a faster alternative but as a last choice.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    That's actually wrong. Internet access with a direct satellite uplink does exist for consumers (as I've linked to previously), my question was concerning the ability to use p2p programs via sat Internet. But that aside, the available speeds are considerably slower than most terrestrial broadband Internet so it's not an issue of a faster alternative but as a last choice.
    It wasn't possible with a satellite connection I was talking about (troubles with port forwarding) but I guess it's possible with the connection you gave a link to which has upload capabilities as well.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    I would think you could still use p2p but your looking at extremely slow speeds and as far as connectability I'm not sure if or not you'd be connectable you'd have to call the company and ask.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by doda32 View Post

That's right, you can't transmit with that satellite dish, you can only download with it, so you still need a telephone line for the upload, so satellite internet is not an option for you, unfortunately

Maybe a 3G connection through a mobile provider, but it will be too expensive and it requires 3G coverage in your area

So the best option is a seedbox..
    but a seedbox is just for the purpose of downloading/uploading stuff, but if i want ,lets say, to play online in halo3 on my xbox360 (which i dont have btw) and be able to play without lags, i need a good upload speed but a seedbox is irrelevent in this case...
    what can i do then?

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I thought game play really needed decent latency rather than high throughput like your suggesting. 600kbits a second seems plenty for playing xbox online as far as i know.

face it your best bet is to take the 50 euros your were talking about and investing it in the most expensive package you can buy from the isp's around your way. sometimes the business packages are worth it.

a seedbox can be used as a transparent proxy if you really want to but since your still limited by your home connections upload then it is useless for gaming.

edit
    The minimum upload speed for Xbox Live is 64kbs
    seems you would be more than fine with that upload speed.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    I thought game play really needed decent latency rather than high throughput like your suggesting. 600kbits a second seems plenty for playing xbox online as far as i know.

face it your best bet is to take the 50 euros your were talking about and investing it in the most expensive package you can buy from the isp's around your way. sometimes the business packages are worth it.

a seedbox can be used as a transparent proxy if you really want to but since your still limited by your home connections upload then it is useless for gaming.

edit
    The minimum upload speed for Xbox Live is 64kbs
    seems you would be more than fine with that upload speed.
    but since i live in israel and playing with ppl from the US and Europe, then from what little i know, i need to compensate on the horrible latencies with a much better upload speed than 600kbit/s (correct me if im wrong). right now i have a 256kbit/s upload speed and the xbox live experience is realy horrible and frustrating most of the time, because of lags (in halo2 for example, the ping bar thingy next to my name is usually red, yellow or low green, but it NEVER reaches a full green bar). is there a way to improve connection latency rather than upload speed?

and btw I never mentioned any 50 euros... (or did I? )

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234