Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What do the Scene Want?

smellycat's Avatar Egalitarian BT Rep: +3
    Perhaps the unspoken fear amongst "sc3n3rz" is that "teh scene" will be usurped by the torrent scene.

In the 80's 90's skilled coders naturally drifted to the scene.

What about today's generation?
    Torrent sites are so popular;
    How many skilled coders belong to a torrent site and
    feel a loyalty to the torrent site?

There are already plenty of torrent sites with their own cappers.
    Simple stuff I know.

But perhaps tomorrows reloaded will be instead tomorrows FTN
    All my invites I give freely.

File sharing and invite sharing
    File trading and invite trading

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    First of all, it is important to note that BT is only one way of filesharing. For example, scene releases have been published on usenet and probably always will be published there. The point is that scene releases have always been and always will be leaked, and the scene can't do anything about it (not trying to rub it in, just stating what I believe to be a fact). The question is why the scene targets only BT sites? Why aren't they targeting emule or newsgroups servers for example? In order to be able to extend a hand to the scene (as stoi suggested), we must first try to understand the source of the problem, i.e. what makes BT such a thorn in the scene's arses more than other filesharing methods.

On a related issue, I've recently read an interesting post that suggested that in fact the multitude of BT sites causes authorities to overstretch their resources, therefore shifting away their focus from the topsites themselves. You may argue with this pov, but the fact is that topsites are still running in a relatively safe manner (while BT sites seem to be targeted more and more lately), and I'm not sure whether that's only related to the extra layers of security that topsites have.

Having said that, you have to give some respect to the guys at the scene, doing all the hard work for the benefit of us all (whether they like it or not.. )
    Last edited by pro267; 01-07-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    Maybe if they didn't tag every release with their group name all over it and give "greetz" and respects to other groups in the scene in their NFOs...

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by smellycat View Post
    Perhaps the unspoken fear amongst "sc3n3rz" is that "teh scene" will be usurped by the torrent scene.

In the 80's 90's skilled coders naturally drifted to the scene.

What about today's generation?
    Torrent sites are so popular;
    How many skilled coders belong to a torrent site and
    feel a loyalty to the torrent site?

There are already plenty of torrent sites with their own cappers.
    Simple stuff I know.

But perhaps tomorrows reloaded will be instead tomorrows FTN
    seriously, the "scene" needs to learn that they are nothing special, except the application crack teams, I respect them.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    dudave's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by NA_Magus View Post
    Maybe if they didn't tag every release with their group name all over it and give "greetz" and respects to other groups in the scene in their NFOs...
    hehe damned true

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    double post read below
    Last edited by matta12; 01-08-2008 at 01:15 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    Let me come from diff point of view: imagine theres game groups, util group, curry groups. Curry as name implies means to spread releases from all groups around. Either dump to dump, or in the beginning of 90s spread on bbses. So any person who gots access to the dump can get it and spread it around if they want, the key is in order to stay in the scene the courier has to spread to specific targets. thats all, and others must do what they agreed to do.

its not about hating scene for what they give to torrenters or diff way. For real scene thing be grateful what you get, and spread around. To cut this hating things between scene and torrent, i know few of my buddies supported demonoid with uploads from the scene sites, because they loved that torrent site.

So enjoy and stop hating, give loving and help others, and in matter of fact SEED! help other members as i mentioned in my previous post, i dont use torrents much, but when i do i seed back, and upload what will not be in the scene released.

And dont get mad if theres "hit and runners", there always will be but let me ask you guys there are not so wealthy ppls from india here for example, so when they need something, why not help. but in other words you must be aware that he will not be able to seed because of poor connection, nor he/she will be able to get seedbox, so what to do with those ppls? Ignore them? If p2p is about sharing i read this as helping others why not help to those too? Remember that there are scene ppls supporting torrent with upload(demonoid) so what you can do is to give back help others who need help. With good ppls we all will survive after all!

good ppls dont need rep points to prove to others, they just know within that they are good.

P.S. love, seed, help!

Good luck!

Cheers guys!
    Last edited by matta12; 01-08-2008 at 01:16 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    ceasar's Avatar Slava R0b0taM! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
    few people (bad sceners )who had access to the scene could actually sell their releases !
    Bet you that how the BT started
    TCS Byatch in training

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by matta12 View Post
    Let me come from diff point of view: imagine theres game groups, util group, curry groups. Curry as name implies means to spread releases from all groups around. Either dump to dump, or in the beginning of 90s spread on bbses. So any person who gots access to the dump can get it and spread it around if they want, the key is in order to stay in the scene the courier has to spread to specific targets. thats all, and others must do what they agreed to do.

its not about hating scene for what they give to torrenters or diff way. For real scene thing be grateful what you get, and spread around. To cut this hating things between scene and torrent, i know few of my buddies supported demonoid with uploads from the scene sites, because they loved that torrent site.

So enjoy and stop hating, give loving and help others, and in matter of fact SEED! help other members as i mentioned in my previous post, i dont use torrents much, but when i do i seed back, and upload what will not be in the scene released.

And dont get mad if theres "hit and runners", there always will be but let me ask you guys there are not so wealthy ppls from india here for example, so when they need something, why not help. but in other words you must be aware that he will not be able to seed because of poor connection, nor he/she will be able to get seedbox, so what to do with those ppls? Ignore them? If p2p is about sharing i read this as helping others why not help to those too? Remember that there are scene ppls supporting torrent with upload(demonoid) so what you can do is to give back help others who need help. With good ppls we all will survive after all!

good ppls dont need rep points to prove to others, they just know within that they are good.

P.S. love, seed, help!

Good luck!

Cheers guys!
    big quote i qoted i know but some sites, like blakcats have got rid of the, super upload speed ges more benefits than dial up users.

Seed points is a god send to those with slow connections, and even those with fast connections that are the last to download a torrent. esp in closed communities.

It doesnt matter what speed connection you have, there will always be someone who id the last to ever download it, even if you stay seeding for years, no one else might ever jump on it (and if its that old no one probably will, as they will be in the same boat as you)

but with our system and other derivitives on other sites, if you download a torrent thats 6 months old, within 3 days + a little longer depending on size of torrent, you can get a ratio of 1 on that torrent.

With systems like ours, you dont even have to upload, obviously though if everyone thought that, the site would be pretty crap but luckily not many if any think that way.

also with the system we have in place, no one on the site should realy have even 1 hit and run, obviously people have, but they shsouldnt, but even if they go over a certain level of hit and runs, they never get banned. just demoted to Kitty Litter so they cant download anymore until they get out of it but clearing some hit and runs.

anyway totally off topic, but some site do take into consideration the drawback of torrents.

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    Thats nice, hopefully other admins will follow your nice example, and enhance it aswell.

Also i hope that you and other admins will give a chance to other members that wants access to your tracker, when you will do proper pre actions you wont need to worry about take down.

Good luck!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast