View Poll Results: Would you donate for no Benefits?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the tracker survival is what matters

69 63.30%
  • No, I like the Benefits to much

14 12.84%
  • I will never donate to any tracker.

26 23.85%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you Donate to a Tracker if you got no "perks"?

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i wont go into to much detail regarding the SP system as its very long winded (even though its not that hard to understand).

But lets say you jump on a 360 game thats 7 months old, so not much chance of other leechers any time soon. and its 7 gig.

you dl 7 gig, but you cant upload to anyone.

you then keep seeding for 72 hours (does not have to be all in one go)

after the 72 hours SP kicks in (it minuses what you have ul, but lets say you uploaded 0)

you then get 1 sp point per hour if your connectable, 0.250 if your unconnectable.

100 meg is 1 Seed Point.

so 100 meg into 7 gig is 70, so in 70 more hours you get a 1 ratio on that torrent.

so thats in 6 days of seeding, you get a 1:1 ratio unless a leech jumps on it (which is where it gets more complicated so i wont go into that now lol)

Also no one gets disabled for hit and runs, and we do work on an individual torrent basis, not a global ratio basis. If you reach a certain number of Hit and Runs, you get demoted to Kitty Litter and you are not allowed to download anything until you clear the hit and runs. But with SP no one should realy have any hit and runs anyway.

so gigs for ££ wouldnt realy work on our tracker anymore, as you still have to seed everything back to 1:1 anyway, so no making a huge buffer, and then raping the site clean of everything you want. Only reason i can see for people donating to get gigs for ££ would be to get promoted to a higher class. but then we havnt had gigs for ££ on for about a year now.

anyway thats a lowdown of the SP system and why we do not have gigs for ££ on the site. but VIP did get a bonus on the SP system.

basically

36 hours seeding time before SP kicks in (compared to 72)
    3 SP an hour instead of 1 SP per hour
    Does not matter if you are connectable or not, you still got the above.
    10 seeding slots to get SP (others have 5 slots, seed more torrents than that and you dont get SP on any)

and thats what we have stopped.

PS: sorry its 4am here and i tend to ramble on and write essays when im tired lol

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    Personally experiencing the Sp system, i did not think there were any real advantages to being vip for that. The idea of ads is good, as long as their not those current ads which require you to sign up etc, because while initially you might get a bit of cash from people trying to support the site(by going through hassle of registration) after a while they will start forgetting to fill, and a lot of revenue is lost.

Someone invite me to fsc please

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Well, it should never be granted that you are giving away benefits for money.... trackers that give gigs for money are wrong. They are selling what their members are providing.

So you are doing the right thing... if anything, I would more likely consider donating to a site that do not offer perks than one who does.

User of the .torrent files

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well the ads is another thing.

I can see how huge public sites can make a fortune off them, as they must be getting a couple of million hits a day at least.

but when we are getting about 50,000 impressions it just doesnt add up.

Some ads are impressions and clicks, others are sales and leads, problem is im getting more impressions and clicks on the sales and leads ones so will have to sort that out.

But lets just say they wont even pay for 1 server never mind the 3 we have got.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    @stoi : got it about the SP. i used to be at a tracker that had a similar scheme, but it worked with overall ratio,i.e., once u had enough seedpoints you could "buy" upload credits. something like 100 SP = 1gb (wasn't this value, but i don't remember now). and if u seeded 72 hrs it wouldn't be considered a HnR.
    they did it cuz they considered that it would minimize the risk of having people cheating and i think it worked like a charm. Lots of seeders on every torrent, torrents living longer, no one being afraid of getting onto the torrent too late and not being able to fulfill 1:1. I see a lot of positive things in such a policy.

so, no gigs for €€, meaning nearly no one was donating on ratio purposes.
    it makes me suppose that people donated just to keep the site alive, cuz no one would get booted for HnR'ing or low ratios.

My only concern is the human nature. No one likes to spend money knowing it won't get them nothing concrete in return. after all, most users consider that the tracker being online is something they haven't to worry about, it's not their problem. there are so few that worry about it, and honestly this poll's results won't reflect the majority of users that use a tracker, cuz most users here are hardcore torrenters and see things in a broader perspective.

i think it will take u a couple of months to take conclusions on your action. and should you have to return to the old model, there will always be lots of people complaining.

i wish you the best luck, what you are doing is a model for non-profit-only oriented trackers, that we see rising each day.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36

Heart

"Yes, the tracker survival is what matters"
    It's the only "benefit" that's really important.

I personally don't see a star or anything like that as a perk, it provides no real advantage. It's more just a mark of recognition. I don't see it as something necessary either, but some folk like that sort of thing and it doesn't do any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumas View Post
    yes i would also donate no matter what happend with this bonus,but also u should have some system if someone want to buy GB.I dont see nothing bad abouth that,also not all members have great speed so maybe they can donate to buy GB to keep they acc alive
    With that SP system in place they don't have to, it completely evens the playing field.

Great poll btw.
    Imagine a torrent site as a human body.
    Staff provide the brain, members the soul, uploaders the muscle, all working together within the body itself.
    And yes, the body has to find a way to survive, and if the soul is strong enough to provide for itself, it will survive and prosper.
    On the other hand, if you have to start pimping your body then you're in a bad way, your soul is weak and you're liable to catch something...

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    bigdaddykane's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    if i love the place enough perks dont mean much plus anyways what do they really give you when you donate not much a couple of gigs upload and you can read some info or get into certain areas that if you do the right thing when you become a power user you can get in anyways so perks dont matter if you love the tracker. donate.thats just my opinion.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    BANNED BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Never pay for File Sharing!
    thats my rulesand FST rules

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    If I donate, I am not doing it for status, stars, upload credit, etc. Benefits are cool, but that should not be the poin of the donation inmo.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    FACE_TO_FACE's Avatar -- F*ck LEVELS -- BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Its a personal choice... but i would give my money only for 1 or 2 trackers.
    Last edited by FACE_TO_FACE; 01-16-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast