Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any good arguments against trading?

puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by puckface View Post

Please give stats to that effect. I think it is the total opposite.
    How could it be the total opposite? By opposite, do you mean trading is less likely to bring a bad user than inviting someone you know and trust? I don't have any stats to argue that, just the axiom of common sense; both people involved in a trade probably know that trading is against the rules of that tracker. So who's to say that they aren't planning on breaking more rules, or haven't broken rules before?

All ideals, moral persuasions, and opinions aside, trading is against the rules on most trackers. I don't trade. However, if I invite a trader, and he goes on to trade his account or invite and gets caught, what happens to me? I could get my invites or even account disabled. If anything, we are at the whim of the tracker staff; the administrators don't want their invites/account memberships turning into a commodity for whatever reason, therefore most people won't risk that by trading or inviting traders.
    Good points. Personally I subscribe to the belief (maybe I'm gullible) that people who trade do it to get into trackers they want to be in. All the work they put into getting "good" trackers would be all for naught if they broke the rules of said tracker. Trading is a lot of work and takes plenty of time to reach your goals. When you get your goals, you most likely aren't gonna fuck around and lose them.

Like I say, may I am gullible. This is just a different angle on something from a person who has yes (gasp!), traded before.
    Go Leafs Go.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyX View Post
    The argument about privacy/security against organisations like the MP** and RI** put forward by the anti-traders is total and absolute nonsense.
    Are you afraid that the MPAA & RIAA are going to ban you if you write out there full names and post there URL's in public?

Just wondering?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    The only valid reason against trading is that it is against tracker sites rules (if/when they have such rule). Why a site have such rule is not the question that is to argue here.

To argue that it is a form of security risk is not being smart. If a 14 year kid can make his/her way to high level site, then it need not take an FBI agent to be very smart to do the same.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman51 View Post
    yea i know rite puckface...u expect me to read this...can i has sparknotes on this?
    I can haz leanrz english?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    n00b
    the person you are trading with has no real vested interest in maintaining YOUR good name at a particular tracker. He doesn't know you, and most likely will never trade with you again anyway. A person whom you know, is IMO, more likely to keep his nose clean in order to make sure the buddy who went out on a limb to invite him doesn't get into any sort of trouble.

Additionally, since it seems (for forum posts I've read here over the last 1-2 years) that most people who are trading invites also have no qualms about trading accounts. that means:
    -you trade invites with someone
    -he uses the account for a while
    -he gets bored with said account
    -he decides that account is worth more to him as a bargaining chip to trade for something he wants more

now, this person who is using an account YOU invited, is someone totally unknown to you. Are you comfortable with that, knowing that if that account is caught cheating, it could mean you get banned as well?

another thing to point out; remember that ass klajdi that was selling oinks invites on ebay about 2 years ago? It turned out he was getting the invites in trades on forums like this, and then selling them on ebay. If you stick to the torrent sites' invite rules, and only invite people you know, don't you think it's reasonable to believe that a person you know is less likely to get you into trouble?

finally, do you consider yourself a trustworthy person? you agreed to those sites terms and conditions when you signed up. It may sound lame, but I value my reputation, and if I agree to something, I make every reasonable attempt to stand by what I agreed to.

If someone is willing to break one rule on a torrent site (no trading of invites or accounts) then in my opinion they are willing to break any rule on that site, including ratio cheating. there are about 3 or 4 major rules that are nearly identical on all torrent sites, and if you break one of those major rules (trading) then obviously the rules mean nothing to you

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    Trading creates deception and leads to paranoia which just harms the community in the long run.
    How often do you hear of scams and those who are unwilling to share invites?

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Squizzle's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"")
    It must be great for you traders browsing sites on accounts that aren't yours... a nickname that isn't yours, GBs that aren't yours, forum posts and torrent comments that you didn't make.

I bet it makes you really feel like part of the community...

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    It's all about doing your time in the BT community and earning the right to be at certain trackers. Trading is simply a way for those who don't have the patience and don't really deserve to be there.

If I can put is simply as possibly for some of those traders who still don't get the message....the staff don't want assholes on their trackers and neither do the members.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Trading is more likely to bring in bad users such as cheaters, or account/invite sellers (since monetary exchanges are a form of trading) than inviting a person you know and trust. I've known people who have unknowingly invited traders to trackers they were members on, and later felt the aftermath....
    A 2005 Harvard study concluded that trading tracker invite/account is the leading cause of erectile dysfunction. Furthermore, when surveyed leading tracker developers agreed that if your not on a 1337 tracker your peni actually shrinks. When pressed for a quote a top FileSharingTalk mod who chose to remain anonymous reveled, "9 out of 10 traders can only get hard when using the middle man section." Unfortunately, the only outcome for such a user is calloused hands and sticky keyboards.
    Proud Member of:

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    maverick_andy's Avatar broken heart... BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8type View Post

A 2005 Harvard study concluded that trading tracker invite/account is the leading cause of erectile dysfunction. Furthermore, when surveyed leading tracker developers agreed that if your not on a 1337 tracker your peni actually shrinks. When pressed for a quote a top FileSharingTalk mod who chose to remain anonymous reveled, "9 out of 10 traders can only get hard when using the middle man section." Unfortunately, the only outcome for such a user is calloused hands and sticky keyboards.
    when harvard got into such things
    I've learned that it takes years to build up trust,
    and it only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy it.

I am proud to be a part of this communities.FSC|FST

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast