Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people like Newzbin so much?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I pay because it's the best.
    simple enough....

Just like I pay more for giganews because it's the best.
    A few years ago, I would have said OK.

Now there are great binaries search engines like newzleech that eliminate the need for a service like Newzbin. There certainly is no longer any justification in paying for them if your reasoning is that "it's the best". They don't have a single file that I can't get without their service. I can get files faster without it as a matter of fact.

Why do you say it's the best?

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed over there and there are no new features to get in a huff about. If it's still simply just an indexing site, that is.

yo

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    Never used Usenet ... I'm paying enough already to my ISP, and I'm not gonna subscribe to a payserver to get things I can get for free elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
    And? The question was why do people like Newzbin so much. Not, why don't you use Usenet.
    Next time try to use your brain when reading something. I know that you are right in your statement. But because I don't really know anything about usenet (hence: 'never used usenet') I was under the false impression usenet and Newzbin were alike (the same).

I turns out they aren't and I now know the difference between the 2. I'm even trying out usenet as we speak.
    It looks promising indeed
    Can you feel the LOVE

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbyche View Post
    I have found stuff there that I didn't even know ever existed on some really strange named groups ... they have stuff there that you cant find anywhere else...
    like what?
    Documentaries ... can't find them on other sites except for NZBMatrix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I have found stuff there that I didn't even know ever existed on some really strange named groups ... they have stuff there that you cant find anywhere else...
    That's just silly. If it's on Usenet, search engines will have it.
    The problem with that is that some posters change the name of the files like a.k.j.y.b.b. ecc... unless you know the name of the movie or file you can't always find it buy dewing a search...!
    Sometimes they post in a group that I have never herd of before...

of course I am talking about hard to find stuff here...
    Last edited by cubbyche; 08-16-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Documentaries ... can't find them on other sites except for NZBMatrix.com
    Now you're just pulling my leg. I certainly hope you don't believe that.

The problem with that is that some posters change the name of the files like a.k.j.y.b.b. ecc... unless you know the name of the movie or file you can't always find it buy dewing a search...!
    Sometimes they post in a group that I have never herd of before...

of course I am talking about hard to find stuff here...
    Those are abbreviations. The name will be in the file names and can be found will search engines.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I pay because it's the best.
    simple enough....

Just like I pay more for giganews because it's the best.
    A few years ago, I would have said OK.

Now there are great binaries search engines like newzleech that eliminate the need for a service like Newzbin. There certainly is no longer any justification in paying for them if your reasoning is that "it's the best". They don't have a single file that I can't get without their service. I can get files faster without it as a matter of fact.

Why do you say it's the best?

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed over there and there are no new features to get in a huff about. If it's still simply just an indexing site, that is.

I like the format. I like having everything I need in one spot, with older NZBs that are hard to find indexed else where. I love the watchdog option that emails me when something I am looking for becomes available.

If you really wanted to argue it, indexing sites are limited because even the best miss files that you could find searching usenet by hand.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

I like the format. I like having everything I need in one spot, with older NZBs that are hard to find indexed else where. I love the watchdog option that emails me when something I am looking for becomes available.
    So it offers more than just indexing then?

That's the sort of information I was after. Anything else?

yo

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    if something is on usenet, will it definitely be indexed on newzbin?

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter

So it offers more than just indexing then?

That's the sort of information I was after. Anything else?
    Indexing is the main function of the site, it's the selling point of any such site.

There are a few extras like the watchdog thing - but that's secondary. It's simply very well organized, with main categories and subcategories - a very well developed site search that works extremely well do to all the effort put in to the site by the staff tagging each of the entries in several categories to make the search work the way it does. There is just a meticulousness to the organization of all the NZBs that I haven't found elsewhere.

Plus what I've seen of the free sites, including the index on this site, they do not retain NZBs long enough to take advantage of Giganew's outstandingly long 240 day retention. Which I am paying for....

Is it necessary to pay for Newzbin to get the most out of Usenet - No.
    It's always possible to search the various groups manually. It's more time consuming, but every indexing site misses some post. In fact, I find the Raw and Condensed views of Usenet available through Newzbin very useful. Sometimes the editor's don't index some of the stuff I am looking for, and I have to take matters into my own hands.

They main thing is, Newzbin is very, very, good at what it does - and it's cheap. It's pocket change. Last Christmas (during the annual half price sell) I paid $20 for an entire year's service.

If you're using Usenet you've already gotten past the entire, "filesharing should be free" thing because of how great Usenet is. Paying a little more change to get the best indexing site for NZBs there is, that's nothing. At some point cheapness is just laughable, and this is that point.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post

Next time try to use your brain when reading something. I know that you are right in your statement.
    You seem very intelligent.

I turns out they aren't and I now know the difference between the 2. I'm even trying out usenet as we speak.
    It looks promising indeed
    Well that's good. I'm glad you're liking it. There once was a very kick ass free server that I was using. It would max out my connection and had excellent retention(for a free server). But recently the speeds have went down to around 40kb/s. And to me that's no longer worth using. And now I don't know of any other really good free servers, so your best option is to use a paid server. But they're very cheap.

If you have any questions, or need any help, then don't hesitate to ask questions. Or even pm me. Things can sometimes get a little confusing when it comes to par2's. But once you get past that, Usenet is a breeze. And is much easier than bittorrent, in my opinion.

Plus what I've seen of the free sites, including the index on this site, they do not retain NZBs long enough to take advantage of Giganew's outstandingly long 240 day retention. Which I am paying for....
    Actually, some of the free sites are now increasing their indexing to match Giganews upcoming 240 day retention. But I do like the idea of that watchdog feature you mentioned.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 08-17-2008 at 05:25 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    Poster
    yeah - the watchdog facility can be pretty useful

if you're a Virgin Media customer in the UK, they have free server access - they state up to 7 days, but some people have reported up to 50 - and the speeds are pretty decent (no pr0n though)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast