Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: "I'm in it for the community"

The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    If you have no interest in websites, why even bother having an internet connection.
    You have an internet connection only for websites? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    Just a website? Yeah, right!
    Simple as that. It's incredible, don't you think?
    Last edited by The Wanderer; 10-10-2008 at 07:39 AM.
    Live long and prosper.

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    torrent sites may just be websites, but they are my favourite websites.

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    The same argument could be applied to any pastime we participate it...

Just a cigarette. Yeah Right!

Just a Pint. Yeah Right!

Just a Car. Yeah Right!

Browsing the web (surfing), or pulling files, or sending emails (as long as it is not business related), are no different from any other pastime.

I love to drive my car, just for the drive (no a to z journey), and I love to ride my bike just for the freedom it gives me. I also love to browse the web, just for the knowledge I gain, even if that knowledge is trivial.

I doubt any of us are here in a professional capacity, even as staffers. We all do it because it is a part of our lives that is our own. When we go to the bar for a drink, it is not done on the orders of a higher up, but because we want to do it. Because we want to chill out.

For people who say, 'get a life', I would suggest you look at your own lives first. Everyone here has a life, and the freedom to choose how you spend that life is a fundamental right of all, and no petty dictator should tell someone else to 'get a life'.

So what if I run a website. I can tell you that there are members who spend more time at my website than I do, and I also know that they value the service I have provided, and for me it is the value that the member holds for my site over any other attribute my site could offer.

At the end of the day, it is the doers who offer a choice, and the takers who make that choice. Just because a car manufacturer can produce a new model does not automatically guarantee success of that model, the same as a new website will not guarantee it's popularity. Only those who consume the content will guarantee it's success.

In a fair world, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and we are also entitled to express our opinions to others, even if they have differing opinions. Just because the opinions of SoulReaper and myself differ, doesn't mean I hold no less a respect for the guy. In fact, I hold him in a higher regard simply because he has argued his own corner admirably, even though our opinions are at odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Sharing is caring. Sharing is what it's all about. Sharing is something one does without consideration and without expectation of gaining something for in return. It's connected to love and is selfless. However it is though a fact, that if one shares, often one does receive something for in return but that shouldn't be the aim. Communities grow around those that share! This Board is proof of that.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    no one needs to say "i'm in for the community" "i want it for the community" "i heard it has a great community" that's just bullshit...those statements should be proved, i would never ever ever ever invite someone to oneof the communities i'm a member of just cause they say that...however i would if they actually mean it,and that's very easy to find out.
    How are you guys doing today?

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    I think people just say that because they do not have decent speed to say "i'm in for the files"........

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456