Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unrarred torrents

Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I used to hate Rar'd files until I started FTping back to my home computer from my seedbox. Split file+ multiple threads = maximum speed for my connection. Now, I prefer rar'd files over the standalone files and will only download them after I've rar'd them myself.
    See ya in another life, brother.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    vic's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AniStoned View Post
    Files can get corrupted easily if they are too big, RAR is definetely a safer way.
    no they can't. the whole rars are better on bittorrent because of corrupted file is nonsense. i don't know who started this false information, but you still see it posted in every rar or unrar thread.

data integrity and recovery is built in the bt protocol, you don't need an extra layer.

it uses an sha-1 hash code for each received piece of data. you'll always get exactly the same what was initially uploaded to the tracker.

if you end up with corrupted files, you either have faulty hardware or the file was corrupt before even uploaded.

also almost all scene rars are archived, but not compressed. you don't save hd space.
    haven't seen an error on Bit-HDTV and they only allow unrarred files.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    I used to hate Rar'd files until I started FTping back to my home computer from my seedbox. Split file+ multiple threads = maximum speed for my connection. Now, I prefer rar'd files over the standalone files and will only download them after I've rar'd them myself.
    most people would even be able to max out thier home connection with a single file. it depends where your server is, where you live and how fast your connection is. that would be a question for seedbox users.

but imagine you would transfer huge amounts of data between gbit servers all over the world. that's why the files are rared.

still, this has nothing to do with bittorrent.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 01-15-2009 at 10:44 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Most of the content I download is unrared. It depends where you get it from.

To be fair, I hardy ever download any scene releases.
    Now go away.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by vic View Post
    but torrent trackers are not the scene.

they are not using ftp servers.

and they need people to seed longer then what they are today.
    Isn't the content from 0day trackers from P2L?

I always thought P2L was a high speed FTP server.

But it's always better to download them in small files, technology is advancing and processors now can unpack big files in seconds so it's fine for me.

If you really want trackers to all have unpacked files then you'll need to wait for a renown tracker to do the first move.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    no they can't. the whole rars are better on bittorrent because of corrupted file is nonsense. i don't know who started this false information, but you still see it posted in every rar or unrar thread.

data integrity and recovery is built in the bt protocol, you don't need an extra layer.

it uses an sha-1 hash code for each received piece of data. you'll always get exactly the same what was initially uploaded to the tracker.

if you end up with corrupted files, you either have faulty hardware or the file was corrupt before even uploaded.

also almost all scene rars are archived, but not compressed. you don't save hd space.
    Well, if I'm not wrong all the RARs by the scene has recovery for each of the file on the pack.

I don't see what's there to compress for files other than ISO which is a raw format.
    Movies in XviD wouldn't be compressed much with RAR since it's already compressed so you're definitely correct.

If you're desperate for unRAR'ed formats you can go to Warez-BB and get a Megashares premium then?
    Saves you time and the VIP 'aeckz' uploads all the scene releases in a few minutes time onto Megashares as a single file.
    Last edited by AniStoned; 01-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    vic's Avatar Poster
    @AniStoned

P2L = Pay to Leech. ( unless it's a new acronym i'm not aware of )

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    A prime example:

TL = P2L (in a way)

EDIT: And the scene tracker DO use FTPs although to an extent. Group affil FTPs are common, but there are other methods for leeching such as DC++, IRC, even HTTP (huh? :p).
    Last edited by KushBlow; 01-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    @AniStoned

Nono, I know the meaning.

I'm talking about how they transfer files.

I always thought trackers used FTP ways to transfer files to their own server automatically and generate a torrent to put on the torrent page.

I'm not a newb so I definitely know what that means.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    vic's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AniStoned View Post
    @AniStoned

Nono, I know the meaning.

I'm talking about how they transfer files.

I always thought trackers used FTP ways to transfer files to their own server automatically and generate a torrent to put on the torrent page.

I'm not a newb so I definitely know what that means.
    usually the uploaders do it and not the tracker, but yea they are using ftp to get the releases from the topsites.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Really? I'm sure 0day trackers all have automated scripts, too much stuffs to do it manually.

And also if they accidentally break small RAR file they can always manually download it and override it.

If they are downloading a big file and it breaks, then it's game over for the pretime race.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast