Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EC will force users to pick a Windows browser, says Microsoft

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    i dont get it, if there wont be any Browser installed in the 1st place how the hell one can go to Opera/Mozila or whatever page to download one? CD's? that's heck of making things easy.
    i sure hate when branded pc's and laptops comes with shitload of application but taking away basic things from it so one can make extra effort for it is just so f@ukedUp.
    good point!

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    i dont get it, if there wont be any Browser installed in the 1st place how the hell one can go to Opera/Mozila or whatever page to download one? CD's? that's heck of making things easy.
    i sure hate when branded pc's and laptops comes with shitload of application but taking away basic things from it so one can make extra effort for it is just so f@ukedUp.
    It doesn't say no network, it says no browser.

There are plenty of other ways to download files that don't involve using a browser. All that's necessary is a single address which will provide a list of available browsers and the URL of the installer for each. Once that's available a simple script can download the browser list, present that list and ask the user to make a choice, then download and install from the corresponding URL.

However, I suspect that a large part of Opera's complaint stems from the repeated use by Microsoft of features which do not comply with web protocols. The result of this is that sites generated to work well with IE often do not look good or work well with other browsers. If IE were made protocol compliant then these sites would not look good in IE either, forcing the web developers to produce protocol compliant web pages which would then look and perform the same in all browsers.

Giving people a choice of browsers would make the general population more aware that there are alternatives. That in itself is likely to make people aware of the sites that don't work in other browsers and is more likely to tempt web developers to get their software to work properly.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    There are plenty of other ways to download files that don't involve using a browser. All that's necessary is a single address which will provide a list of available browsers and the URL of the installer for each. Once that's available a simple script can download the browser list, present that list and ask the user to make a choice, then download and install from the corresponding URL.
    Do you think MS after taking their privilege will bring other choice's for its Windows user on silver platter? i hardly think that.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsadsadsa View Post
    How come apple selling its operating system exclusively with its hardware is ok while Microsoft got into so much antitrust troubles because it includes just a single application ???
    Becos Apple's user never complain about it. Plus Apple make better OS than Windows. How to compare an apple and an orange?

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by ulun64 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsadsadsa View Post
    How come apple selling its operating system exclusively with its hardware is ok while Microsoft got into so much antitrust troubles because it includes just a single application ???
    Becos Apple's user never complain about it. Plus Apple make better OS than Windows. How to compare an apple and an orange?
    where did you read that ?

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    It doesn't say no network, it says no browser.

However, I suspect that a large part of Opera's complaint stems from the repeated use by Microsoft of features which do not comply with web protocols. The result of this is that sites generated to work well with IE often do not look good or work well with other browsers. If IE were made protocol compliant then these sites would not look good in IE either, forcing the web developers to produce protocol compliant web pages which would then look and perform the same in all browsers.

Giving people a choice of browsers would make the general population more aware that there are alternatives. That in itself is likely to make people aware of the sites that don't work in other browsers and is more likely to tempt web developers to get their software to work properly.
    I was thinking the same thing, you don't need a browser in Kubuntu or Ubuntu to download Firefox
    [center]

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    seems stupid all around, who cares if they include the browser, anyone that knows anything about the internet will immediately download something else anyways. the people that do not know the difference would still choose IE, simply because its all they have heard of

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12