Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Slow Boot Times

Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@4 November 2003 - 20:54
    Yeah ok.

Yes, msconfig will allow the poster to browse what applications are starting at boot up. Thing is though, it doesn't sound like that is his/problem. During a boot sequence, Windows and all drivers are loaded to memory first, then comes any applications, such as firewalls, av's, etc...

I might be wrong but i'm guessing he's talking about Windows boot time.

ps. what happened to your post; that's very confusing.

yes ur right its not msconfig. ill try bootvis.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@4 November 2003 - 20:23
    @muchspl2. I agree with 3223 on this one; you could do with chilling out a bit. I've read a few posts of yours, and you often exhibit an attitude problem. If you don't have the patience to help newbies, it's probably wise that you stay out of this sort of thread - although that won't help you with your spam co..., i mean post count.

Also, there's no reason why other posters should pm you to voice any grievances, i think you're confusing yourself with a mod.

@3223. Somebody gave you a link to a site where you can get bootvis; download it. It's a great little tool for analyzing your system boot and finding what is causing any delay.

Extract the file to your temp folder (key %temp% into your browser to find the extracted file) then click on the Bootvis icon. Click on Trace > Next Boot and Driver delays, then reboot. Once your system reboots you'll need to allow bootvis to finish, then it will present you with all processes that occur during boot up, in a clear and easy to understand graph. Let us know the results.
    Which of the results would you need??

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3223+4 November 2003 - 23:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 @ 4 November 2003 - 23:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LTJBukem@4 November 2003 - 20:23
    @muchspl2. I agree with 3223 on this one; you could do with chilling out a bit. I&#39;ve read a few posts of yours, and you often exhibit an attitude problem. If you don&#39;t have the patience to help newbies, it&#39;s probably wise that you stay out of this sort of thread - although that won&#39;t help you with your spam co..., i mean post count.

Also, there&#39;s no reason why other posters should pm you to voice any grievances, i think you&#39;re confusing yourself with a mod.

@3223. Somebody gave you a link to a site where you can get bootvis; download it. It&#39;s a great little tool for analyzing your system boot and finding what is causing any delay.

Extract the file to your temp folder (key %temp% into your browser to find the extracted file) then click on the Bootvis icon. Click on Trace > Next Boot and Driver delays, then reboot. Once your system reboots you&#39;ll need to allow bootvis to finish, then it will present you with all processes that occur during boot up, in a clear and easy to understand graph. Let us know the results.
    Which of the results would you need?? [/b][/quote]
    well which results do you need?&#33;?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3223+8 November 2003 - 16:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 @ 8 November 2003 - 16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by 3223@4 November 2003 - 23:31
    <!--QuoteBegin-LTJBukem
    @4 November 2003 - 20:23
    @muchspl2. I agree with 3223 on this one; you could do with chilling out a bit. I&#39;ve read a few posts of yours, and you often exhibit an attitude problem. If you don&#39;t have the patience to help newbies, it&#39;s probably wise that you stay out of this sort of thread - although that won&#39;t help you with your spam co..., i mean post count.

Also, there&#39;s no reason why other posters should pm you to voice any grievances, i think you&#39;re confusing yourself with a mod.

@3223. Somebody gave you a link to a site where you can get bootvis; download it. It&#39;s a great little tool for analyzing your system boot and finding what is causing any delay.

Extract the file to your temp folder (key %temp% into your browser to find the extracted file) then click on the Bootvis icon. Click on Trace > Next Boot and Driver delays, then reboot. Once your system reboots you&#39;ll need to allow bootvis to finish, then it will present you with all processes that occur during boot up, in a clear and easy to understand graph. Let us know the results.

well which results do you need?&#33;? [/b][/quote]
    im getting mad no1 is helping me&#33;&#33;

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Do what people have posted. MSconfig and disable any unneeded startup programs. Then use bootvis.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by 3223@3 November 2003 - 15:59

how do i make a screenshot?
    Don&#39;t ask Darth.

He&#39;ll tell you to "format C:".

I use a small free program called Captura.
    Then upload your pic to your webhost (just like you did with your avatar).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by clocker+9 November 2003 - 07:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 9 November 2003 - 07:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3223@3 November 2003 - 15:59

how do i make a screenshot?
    Don&#39;t ask Darth.

He&#39;ll tell you to "format C:". [/b][/quote]
    that&#39;s a good idea though, if the bootup is really slow the simplest (slighty masochistic) way of speeding it up is to format and start fresh

i find the best way of taking a screenshot is press print sceen (prnt scrn, whatever), open paint then paste
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3223+9 November 2003 - 06:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 &#064; 9 November 2003 - 06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by 3223@8 November 2003 - 16:32
    Originally posted by 3223@4 November 2003 - 23:31
    <!--QuoteBegin-LTJBukem
    @4 November 2003 - 20:23

well which results do you need?&#33;?
    im getting mad no1 is helping me&#33;&#33;[/b][/quote]
    There&#39;s no reason to get mad. Have you downloaded bootvis?

First question anyone should&#39;ve asked you (shame on you lot of useless looooooooooooooooooosers ) is:
    Does it take a long time to get to the welcome screen, spending a lot of time on the black &#39;loading&#39; screen, or is it after the welcome screen with the longest wait getting to the desktop from there?
    If it&#39;s taking a long time on the black screen then a defrag and bootvis will help pin down the problem but if the problem is getting from the welcome screen to the desktop, going straight to msconfig&#39;s startup options will afford an immediate improvement. With 256MB RAM, I would say that getting more of that would help the whole process a lot.

Sometimes external peripherals can slow down boot times by either not neing turned on or taking time to reply to XP as it detects what&#39;s connected.

Regarding the bootvis results, just run the program and follow instructions, then when it&#39;s finished you can look at the results and anything taking a long time to complete will be pretty obvious - just come back here and tell us what that is.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@4 November 2003 - 20:33
    ...no need for a program, msconfig has ever thing that boots on startup
    Did you realise that WinXP checks all IDE positions for new hardware and that telling it to not check where you don&#39;t have hardware will speed up booting?
    That&#39;s not something you can control from msconfig. Neither is anything else that XP is doing while you&#39;re looking at the black bootscreen.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    muchspl2
    ^^ yes
    but his question was very basic, so I tried to keep the answers basic

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast