65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 58.46%
  • No.

19 29.23%
  • Don't care...

8 12.31%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What trackers offer - Do you think it's still useful?

bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    voted no.
    reason: for past 1-2 years, lots of new trackers getting started day by day, and it is practically impossible to list them all with correct & updated data. And for the existing sites, collecting correct data is sometimes not possible. So... after thinking a whwile voted no.

P.S. it is useful for some new users in bt to find the real name(url) of some so called l33t site.
    Teh n00b.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    voted no.
    reason: for past 1-2 years, lots of new trackers getting started day by day, and it is practically impossible to list them all with correct & updated data. And for the existing sites, collecting correct data is sometimes not possible. So... after thinking a whwile voted no.

P.S. it is useful for some new users in bt to find the real name(url) of some so called l33t site.
    Seems like the template of the project has no arguments, but anyone is really only taking issue with the updated accuracy of it. For the same type of argument, you can make complaints about imdb and wikipedia (oh it's alright, but not that useful because it has to be updated all the time).

Anyways, when you're a noob or even slightly seasoned, the WTO can be a great tool for identifying what trackers are available, what they offer, whether they're open for signup, etc. The only thing I question on there is the ranking, I mean how are some of those user experience figures quantified?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The "rarity" column is for mentally challenged members, but aside from that I see its use. Remove that and it might actually be legitimate. Tracker reviews have usefulness, tracker "levels" do not, and merely facilitate morons trading accounts and invites for shit sites that they don't even want to use.

Drinkin, YEAH.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Since your keeping the option either way... I figured I would chime in.

I think if your keeping it you could add a comments section for each site as well.
    So even if you dont keep the stats up to date... users could check comments as well to gather their own info about the sites in question.
    (Much like users can comment on requests on most trackers)

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I voted no, mainly because of its misuse by collectors, traders, and level-seekers. I also question the amount of effort it requires to keep it up-to-date versus the amount of valuable (as in, not those mentioned) use it gets. Beyond that, I am still one who believes trackers who don't want their names, or other details made public should be respected by the community (including FST).

Too much downside for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Keeping it up-to-date and especially being objective about the 'ratings' are the two major problems I see with it. Who will rate the trackers, what are the criteria? And I'm not even talking about the pointless 'rarity' rating, which only concerns traders anyway.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I voted yes, because it's the lesser of two evils.

I still don't get why it's so important to not censor it a little bit. I'm sure 100's of sites love being in it, but some don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I voted no, mainly because of its misuse by collectors, traders, and level-seekers.
    One could say that, in theory, that'd be addressed by removing the "rarity" column. But I don't think that's going to have any effect - if traders don't get their tracker levels here, they'll do it elsewhere. Therefore, wiping the whole table, and affecting the non-abusers as well, would be overkill in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    I still don't get why it's so important to not censor it a little bit. I'm sure 100's of sites love being in it, but some don't.
    Had something to do with freedom of speech and tracker rules holding no effect here. I'm not saying it's cool to break their rules, but FST should remain neutral in that regard. If someone wants to post information or a review of some site with secrecy bullshit policies, let them do it. The staff can find and ban them on their place, if they desire.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Fishy2's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I’ve used it on occasion to find irc details mainly, but lots of the info is out of date and it does seem to classify according to how hard the tracker is to obtain, not a good thing I think. I also think that despite the argument for free speech and all that, that any trackers privacy ( if privacy is sought) should be courteously respected by FST and other forums, so I would vote no overall and either scrap it or re work it altogether.
    Last edited by Fishy2; 03-18-2011 at 12:21 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    it has been very very useful for me
    i would like to see it updated often

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast