Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major Price Slash for Newsbin Pro

thanks zot that fill server thing you mentioned in usenet explorer would actually come in handy to me i'll check it out.
    i havent used newsbin in years, never even tried usenet explorer before.

been on newsleecher for years, it's worth mentioning that their supersearch is instant if i upload a file to usenet and search for it on supersearch ten seconds later it will find it. i've seen indexing sites take anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. the searching is also much better when it comes to seeing what is actually there, and far easier to search if you know what you're looking for.

i have noticed spiral disappearing and leaving things unfinished for long periods of time as you said. but newsleecher as a whole has never locked me out even when their site was down worst thats ever happened was supersearch goes down the program will still work. and it has been over a year since even that happened.

also as you mentioned in your second post zot newsleecher supports that now too, though i haven't tried it myself yet their beta's can be a little scary
    +: --[ Larger Feature Addition - RAR-in-RAR File Detection ] ----- NewsLeecher can now detect RAR-in-RAR archive sets, and pause such sets in the transfer queue if wanted. RAR-in-RAR archives are, as the name implies, RAR archives containing other, often passworded, RAR archives. Most RAR-in-RAR archives are either fake or spam. NewsLeecher can be setup to pause ANY detected RAR-in-RAR archives, or only the RAR-in-RAR archives that are password protected. The feature can be accessed from: Settings -> Download -> Leech Tweaks
    also hyptia newsleechers $20 a year is for a year of upgrades not just a year of use, if you purchased it one year ago from now, you would be able to keep and use upto version 5 beta 5 or version 4 final indefinitely, paying $20 again would only be necessary if you wanted a new version. granted still not a good deal i believe upgrades should be free for life but there's a difference, same for usenet explorer i believe.
    Last edited by jefffisher; 05-13-2011 at 06:04 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Newsbin:

Pro: low price client w/ lifetime upgrades, always cutting-edge, good tech support.

Con: DRM present, won't install or uninstall if internet connection is down.
    Just to clarify. There is no phone home in Newsbin. When you install with the regular installer, it looks at your system and downloads the right version and lets you select a language. 32/64 bits and whatever language you pick. There's no validation when you run the trial. You do have to let it talk to the server to verify the key when you register. Typically, we have the full version on our site somewhere but, to save on bandwidth costs, we prefer the "download version".

If you install Newsbin, then zip up the install folder, you NEVER have to install it again. You can just unzip the folder and tell Newsbin where your configuration file is. Newsbin doesn't really depend on anything on the PC so, it can be copied around. For example, you could install Newsbin to a common folder on your NAS and any machine on the network could use it (or a flash drive). Each machine would have to register one time though.

Once you register, it never talks to the Newsbin server again. The only contact it has with the Newsbin website is the Message of the Day window and you can disable that in the options. Newsbin has not and never will have "phone home". It's easy enough to test. Install, register and lock it down to only talking to your news server with your firewall. It'll continue to work no problem. If you re-install and re-register, you'll have to let it talk to the Newsbin website to validate the key but, then you can lock it down again. if you uninstall and let the installer talk to our server, it'll decrement your use count back to 3 or whatever.

There's no lifetime install limit but, the license says 3 simultaneous machines. We figure, main machine, laptop and work machine. We don't care if you run them at the same time either. Some Newsbin users have been using the same key for 10 years now.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    newsgroupie
    Thanks for the info B18C5. That's good to know.

People complain about the excessive DRM in paid versions of AltBinz. It not only 'phones home' each time, but it's tied in to each person's forum account - whether they like it or not. Big Brother to the extreme, it would seem. Enough to scare me away.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Thanks for the info B18C5. That's good to know.

People complain about the excessive DRM in paid versions of AltBinz. It not only 'phones home' each time, but it's tied in to each person's forum account - whether they like it or not. Big Brother to the extreme, it would seem. Enough to scare me away.
    I had no idea Alt.binz had a paid version. I may like it more than Sabnzbd+ but I could never imagine paying for it.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Yeah, that's news to me too.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    newsgroupie
    Well, Altbinz does not "technically" offer a paid version, but if you give them a (mandatory-minimum) $15 donation, you get the DRM-encrusted latest version - as a gift for your kind generosity, I suppose.

So why not just call a spade a spade and sell it outright? Maybe tax advantages, Paypal policies ... or mabe the fact that the client is freeloading off public (ad-supported) search engines.

And since it's a "donation" don't even think about asking for your money back if it doesn't work.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    I don't think v.5 uses fill servers properly.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    It uses them properly...for V5 which is, any error turns the fill server on for that file. Version 6 though is more selective and turns fill servers on and off "per chunk".

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    newsgroupie
    Sorry, I forgot all about that. It's an issue that deserves mentioning.

In my opinion, a fill-server should only be activated to pick up the articles that are missing from the primary server, and nothing else. A strictly defined server priority applied to every article. I believe that Newsbin v4 and v6 work this way but v5 does not - with version 5 sharing bandwidth 50/50 between primary and secondary servers (for all files that have at least one missing article).

I suspect that Newsbin's (v.5) fill-server implementation may have been perhaps the most un-appreciated new "feature" ever introduced. I think it's fair to say that block account users don't want to tap into them unless absolutely needed, since they're paying a higher per-gigabyte rate on blocks, as well as not wanting to run out of bandwidth all the time due to wasting it unnecessarily. It's good to see that v6 has "proper" fill-server support, so that issue can be retired.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    newsgroupie
    UPDATE:

There are reports that Newsbin Pro v6.0 is going to be released any day now, and when this happens, the price will be going up to $20.

So for anyone wanting to "go legit" and who is still sitting on the fence, this may be the last chance to get your (lifetime) registration for $15 before the price increase.

www.newsbin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast