Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Price Slash for Newsbin Pro

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I've been using the betas for a month or two and I like what I see. I haven't had any problems with them either.

Used so many small (good ones too) clients that I nearly forgot about Newsbin. I think I'm going to stick with it until I finally (when I'm 80) install linux on my 2 "servers".

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Btw version 6 seems more complicated than 5 . I prefer the user interface of version 5

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by B18C5 View Post
    Newsbin:

Pro: low price client w/ lifetime upgrades, always cutting-edge, good tech support.

Con: DRM present, won't install or uninstall if internet connection is down.
    Just to clarify. There is no phone home in Newsbin. When you install with the regular installer, it looks at your system and downloads the right version and lets you select a language. 32/64 bits and whatever language you pick. There's no validation when you run the trial. You do have to let it talk to the server to verify the key when you register. Typically, we have the full version on our site somewhere but, to save on bandwidth costs, we prefer the "download version".

If you install Newsbin, then zip up the install folder, you NEVER have to install it again. You can just unzip the folder and tell Newsbin where your configuration file is. Newsbin doesn't really depend on anything on the PC so, it can be copied around. For example, you could install Newsbin to a common folder on your NAS and any machine on the network could use it (or a flash drive). Each machine would have to register one time though.

Once you register, it never talks to the Newsbin server again. The only contact it has with the Newsbin website is the Message of the Day window and you can disable that in the options. Newsbin has not and never will have "phone home". It's easy enough to test. Install, register and lock it down to only talking to your news server with your firewall. It'll continue to work no problem. If you re-install and re-register, you'll have to let it talk to the Newsbin website to validate the key but, then you can lock it down again. if you uninstall and let the installer talk to our server, it'll decrement your use count back to 3 or whatever.

There's no lifetime install limit but, the license says 3 simultaneous machines. We figure, main machine, laptop and work machine. We don't care if you run them at the same time either. Some Newsbin users have been using the same key for 10 years now.
    I'm not sure how you would consider that as not phoning home. It may only do so once but it's still "phoning home" and is the sole reason I have not yet purchased a license after all these years.

I don't mind paying $15-20 if NBP is as good as people say but I shudder at the thought of depending on an external server that may perhaps one day fall off the radar if the developer goes bankrupt. I know it's not likely but I'm the kind of person who doesn't give the scenario a chance to arise.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Newsbin is ok, I've had it for years. They really need to add more features to it because SABNZBd is kicking its ass in that department. If you have been using SABNZBd and like it, I would say just stick with it. Newsbin just isn't worth the money it may have garnered when I first bought it several years back.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    edit

old ass thread
    Last edited by myself12345; 10-11-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123