Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer shuts down automatically while watching video files

johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    it might be from a missing video driver or it's somethingh wrong with your chipset.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Which is unfortunate. But now that we have eliminated the most likely software problems I have some bad news for you. The problem you are now describing (after eliminating the O/S and codecs as the source) is hardware related. While I said it is very unlikely it still happens, and you are one of the lucky winners. This problem is specifically caused by thermal overload and is due to one of the thermal sensors detecting too much heat and shutting the system down as a protective measure. The first thing you need to do is physically inspect the motherboard for dust and in particular the CPU Heatsink/Fan since the most likely sensor is the C.O.P. or CPU overheat preventer. Also though check for dust build up on the motherboard specifically around the RAM modules and inspect inside the PSU with your eyes to see if there is too much dust in there as well.
    The best way to remove extraneous dust from components is to buy an air duster can from your local electronics store and spray it at 15cm from the surface you want to remove the dust from in short bursts.
    Without in anyway trying to be harsh though, these components are quite old, you may be looking at an end of life component failure.
    Disappointing news. I've already sprayed the inside pretty well with "Dust-off"...I'd like to know what exactly is causing this, cause as you can see from the temp screenshot I posted, everything looks alright.
    For this reason alone diagnosing a problem like this long distance can be frustrating. I agree all of the temps look exactly as expected. We now have to look at the list of possible suspects based upon the age of the system. The two most likely candidates are first either the power supply is overheating (hard to tell since this is a sealed unit but dust build up can affect the PSU), or option b back to the HSF on the CPU again. The fan itself can become intermittent in operation which will also cause a shutdown on some motherboards (ie if they see the CPU fan speed as zero they will shutdown to prevent damage). At this point I am starting to speculate on a list of possible hardware causes that would cause a thermal shutdown like you are experiencing. If you have or can borrow a spare PSU and try that in the PC to see if that is the problem that will eliminate the most likely suspect. If not that the next thing to try is another Heatsink Fan with some replacement thermal paste.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    If it isn't overheating, thus not a thermal safety shutdown, my next guess is it's power related. I learned my laptop battery doesn't supply sufficient power vs. AC when it comes to utilizing my graphics during gaming. The result is instant-off, and working the graphics processor is the only time I have such an issue. I'm wondering if you might be having a similar issue, a power supply not being able to deliver enough amps/watts or whatever. You could try replacing the power supply if you're already thinking about upgrading hardware.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Me too
    My computer when I play game Counter strike source my computer shuts down automatically
    And when I watching video is very lag
    Last edited by kinn; 06-18-2012 at 01:10 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by kinn View Post
    Me too
    My computer when I play game Counter strike source my computer shuts down automatically
    And when I watching video is very lag
    You'll see me again in your trade thread if when you screw up.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Have you ever tried looking in the event viewer to see if it lists any issues there? It's unlikely, since a power off shutdown leaves little time for the app to respond, but its worth a look. Also running temps may look good but a quick spike would be very hard to see and would cause the system to shut down immediately. Do you have another video card to try? Even a slower one might give you some indication that the 8800 maybe faulty.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 06-22-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Maybe the videocard is kaput

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    It's now been randomly shutting down when just browsing the internet, or just doing whatever....not only when watching video, like it was at first. Pretty sure the video card okay, I can't figure out what's overheating though

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I went through the same issue. Ended up being the psu.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Guys, how do I increase the fan speed on my videocard? This is what the temps are currently sitting at, under zero load...yet the comp still shuts off at random regardless if I'm watching videos or not. I'm beginning to think that the "GPU Diode" temp is a bit high?

Untitled.jpg

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast