Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Computer shuts down automatically while watching video files

Glen@DB's Avatar deamonbytes owner
    Replacing the thermal paste would be a starting point PSU could also be at fault but overheating is the main cause of abrupt shutdowns.
    Get a better CPU fan and ensure good air flow inside the case.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X
    Guys, how do I increase the fan speed on my videocard?
    I recently downloaded an app called Speedfan. It's freeware.
    It detects all the fans in your system so that you can control their speeds through the app.

It sorted a problem I had but on reading this thread, I don't think cooling will fix your problem. Your temps look absolutely fine.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Although AIDA64 is a good system utility for looking at your overall specs and performance it isn't telling me much about the specific chipsets for the CPU or GPU (different chips have different thermal tolerances) that being said 49 degrees is well within safe parameters. Two additional freeware tools you can download to give specific info about your CPU (and also mainboard and memory) are CpuZ and GpuZ just do a google search on both. As Manker said speedfan is an excellent freeware utility for looking at the temps on all the affected components to do with your system and can indepently control their fans.
    I am another one that is strongly suspecting your PSU as the culprit in your on going problems though, especially as you are now being affected by this problem while under minimal load.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X View Post
    Guys, how do I increase the fan speed on my videocard?
    1. Which video card are you using?
    2. MSI After Burner or EVGA Precision tuner are some of the good apps to control 'unlocked' graphics cards. THis is the reason I wanted to know the model of the graphics card you are using.
    Teh n00b.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Well from my experience it is a hardware problem in combination with a bad device driver. If this happens only when watching videos but not when playing some demanding games though it bring it closer to a driver/software problem.
    What would I try:
    - check that memory is working on the right voltage(some biso fail reading the right voltage and memory runs undervolted which could bring to this kind of BSOD). It is deffinetely a BSOD in combination with some settings in windows to not show BSOD and bios to remain power off I would say.
    - try to update the latest drivers for chipset and video. Maybe you should search for you video card maybe there are some bugs and some versions have issues.
    - I would say 99% that it is not a psu or codecs issue.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Ive got the latest codecs, drivers etc. I do have my system overclocked though, It's been OC'd since 2007...and I've never had any issues with overheating/shutdowns etc. I guess there's a good possibility that the OC has something to do with this...even though the temps are within the acceptable range.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X View Post
    Ive got the latest codecs, drivers etc. I do have my system overclocked though, It's been OC'd since 2007...and I've never had any issues with overheating/shutdowns etc. I guess there's a good possibility that the OC has something to do with this...even though the temps are within the acceptable range.
    Why on earth would you not trying running it without the overclock settings for awhile? Anyways, that's sort of standard operating procedure when dealing with system hangs and power offs and such.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by naek View Post
    Well from my experience it is a hardware problem in combination with a bad device driver. If this happens only when watching videos but not when playing some demanding games though it bring it closer to a driver/software problem.
    What would I try:
    - check that memory is working on the right voltage(some biso fail reading the right voltage and memory runs undervolted which could bring to this kind of BSOD). It is deffinetely a BSOD in combination with some settings in windows to not show BSOD and bios to remain power off I would say.
    - try to update the latest drivers for chipset and video. Maybe you should search for you video card maybe there are some bugs and some versions have issues.
    - I would say 99% that it is not a psu or codecs issue.
    What color are the trees on your planet? 'It is deffinetely a BSOD in combination with some settings in windows to not show BSOD and bios to remain power off I would say.' Really? That is an idiotic answer. The system doesn't go unstable it shuts down. a BSOD is an attempt to dump a memory error into a temp file for review, not a power down.
    If you read through the whole thread instead of leaping in with half cocked theory you would realise that the operating system is a fresh install. If there was a memory error it would have shown up during the decompression of the Windows files, the Windows install would have failed.
    This is a hardware fault on 3-4 year old hardware, it suddenly powers down completely. The obvious culprits are thermal overload on the CPU or GPU, the northbridge (unlikely) or the PSU.

To the OP your CPU is a DualCore Socket 939 . The thermal threshhold is 65degrees C
    Your Video Card is an NVidia 8800 series. These run very hot threshhold is around 75 degrees C

The fan speeds and temps from your system utility are all well within the normal ranges one would expect.

Install speedfan as well to see this will give additional information for each individual chip/fan.

I think the strongest suspect is your PSU, which of course will not show up on any of these tests.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    ^^ Well, in that case exact model number of the PSU will be of great help.
    Teh n00b.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    ^^ Well, in that case exact model number of the PSU will be of great help.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139001

Comp specs are in the first post.
    Last edited by S!X; 06-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast