Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Two new fairy-tale dramas: Once Upon a Time and Grimm

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I do not have a cellphone.
    Never have.
    That's right. You sent message via raven. Kept them in your rucksack with parchment and feathered quill.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

If you equate watching what is essentially TV during a boring moment at the office with all that trash truck juice that you posted then you are but an idiot.
    I do and strangely I'm not.

Also strangely I honestly believe that smartphones are one of the worst mass market inventions to ever have been dumped on humanity.

Once upon a time people used to talk ,rely on their wits and imaginations and generally "do" things.
    Now they "connect","have an app for that" and live their lives mostly vicariously.

I know you will disagree but if you didn't I know the marketing agencies that mostly determine how you think would be very sad.
    Everyone doesn't work it that way, bubba.

If teh missus wants me to bring home some groceries, she can text me the list. If I'm going for groceries, I can put the list on me phone. It's more efficient, ya see and better than me either trying to remember the entire list or using clocker's parchment and feathered quill since, I already have the smartphone on me.

Then there's the aforementioned traffic map which helps me avoid sitting in Office Space traffic. If I have the means in a multi-use tool to avoid such things, it's idiotic not to do so.

There's the music player, weather app, appointment calendar, etc.

Sure if one thrives on inefficiency, no smartphones are a blast. My problem is with anyone that can't do without such luxuries.
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-12-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    You have a flashlight app to make sure you are never in the dark.A GPS so that God forbid you never inadvertently stumble upon anything.You phone to make sure that no chance or unpredictability invades your shopping.When there is "nothing to do" you simply input some data to rectify the situation.You are never late or wet or hot or confused.

Congratulations you are a machine.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    You have a flashlight app to make sure you are never in the dark.A GPS so that God forbid you never inadvertently stumble upon anything.You phone to make sure that no chance or unpredictability invades your shopping.When there is "nothing to do" you simply input some data to rectify the situation.You are never late or wet or hot or confused.

Illuminati. Welcome to The Collective.

:makenoteneedflashlightapp:

Illuminati. Welcome to The Collective.

:makenoteneedflashlightapp:
    In all seriousness, it's working smarter not harder. Use the tools available to you to your advantage.

Pretty simple.
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-12-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Movies & TV   -   #34
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sure if one thrives on inefficiency, no smartphones are a blast. My problem is with anyone that can't do without such luxuries.
    How did people ever manage say, fifty years ago?
    Things must have been so terribly inefficient.

Anyway, now that you and yours are firing on all cylinders 24/7/365, inefficiency must be nearly obsolete.
    If everyone can access the same traffic data, then traffic jams- the textbook example of "inefficient"- should be getting smaller and less frequent...which they totally are, right?
    With all the data at your fingertips, last minute calls seem like a pretty inefficient way to shop, what with discounts, sales, coupons and the like.
    I have a paper pad and pencil kept handy to the kitchen table, on it I write things to get as they pop to mind, how is this more onerous or less efficient than storing the info on a smartphone?
    And doesn't all this efficiency coupled with economy of scale mean that your phone and service should be approaching zero cost, in fact nearing the point when they pay you for the data mining and advertising you agree to?

In essence, you make yourself available to work or anyone else all the time using a device that collects and broadcasts your location and you pay increasing amounts of money for the privilege.
    In exchange, it will remember your grocery list and get you to Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    My problem is with anyone that can't do without such luxuries.
    I can't tell what this means.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Movies & TV   -   #35
    How did people ever manage say, fifty years ago?
    Things must have been so terribly inefficient.

Anyway, now that you and yours are firing on all cylinders 24/7/365, inefficiency must be nearly obsolete.
    If everyone can access the same traffic data, then traffic jams- the textbook example of "inefficient"- should be getting smaller and less frequent...which they totally are, right?
    With all the data at your fingertips, last minute calls seem like a pretty inefficient way to shop, what with discounts, sales, coupons and the like.
    I have a paper pad and pencil kept handy to the kitchen table, on it I write things to get as they pop to mind, how is this more onerous or less efficient than storing the info on a smartphone?
    And doesn't all this efficiency coupled with economy of scale mean that your phone and service should be approaching zero cost, in fact nearing the point when they pay you for the data mining and advertising you agree to?

In essence, you make yourself available to work or anyone else all the time using a device that collects and broadcasts your location and you pay increasing amounts of money for the privilege.
    In exchange, it will remember your grocery list and get you to Facebook.
    I can't tell what this means.
    Managing and managing more efficiently are different things, clockwork. 50 years ago, people managed the best way they could.

Sure, I could listen to the traffic report on the radio....when it gets around to telling me and if it gives any info on my route. However, my traffic map on my phone is more efficient. I pull it up and see in an instant. Hell, it makes standalone GPSs obsolete.

The same for 411. Obsolete. Pull it up on my PC or phone and get address and phone number instantly. I put thick ass phone books in the recycle bin immediately or use the paper for mah fire pit.

This is a pretty simple concept. Plus, we ain't in "50 years ago" so that point is irrelevant anyway.

As far as the last, I'll help. "I have a problem with...."
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-12-2012 at 04:40 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    Well, you very efficiently managed to evade my questions, I'll give you that.

All this "more efficient" time management you're involved with...spending less time in traffic, less time at work, less time doing daily chores, are we?
    You must be overwhelmed with spare time.

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    He doesn't have any spare time, can you even contemplate the quantity of television programming he has on his phone?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    All the time I'd allotted to "contemplation" has been used for this month.
    Places to go, people to see, you know the drill.

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata

All this "more efficient" time management you're involved with...spending less time in traffic, less time at work, less time doing daily chores, are we?
    I always make a face when people say that they're lives are too busy nowadays that they barely have time to do anything.And by busy they mean taking the kids to soccer practice and sending emails .

Oddly 100 years ago people weren't reporting being "too busy" when the they had to trek down to a stream to use a scrub board on their laundry or squirrel away potatoes in a cold room and chop wood to see them through the winter.

What was once seen as "luxury " is now seen as "necessity" and I'm sure many people now feel the "necessity " of their mobile phones.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Movies & TV   -   #40

You must good at making issues that aren't there to suit your argument. Who said anything about less time at work or less time doing daily chores?

Efficiency allows me to get more done in a day. That's why it's efficient.

Oh and lets go back to the weird questions. First off, you'd be amazed at the number of people that don't use the traffic maps yet have smartphones. Having a tool and using it are two different things. This is also CaptainObvious. People are also dumb. I still see people speed up.....to a red light. I have a stretch of road I travel where the lights are timed for 20mph. People continue to speed up to each light. I coast along at 20mph through all the lights.

Wanting something at the last minute has shinola to do with the inefficiency of smartphones. You use smartphones for for what YOU want not the other way around. Funny enough, I used my phones very recently to save money. I had a person to do the labor on my car but I needed the parts right then. Advance Auto Parts had online coupons $20 off $50. I got the call to bring my car in soon and had no time to go home.
    I placed multiple orders of $50, used the $20 online coupon each time, and did in-store pick-up. I got $200 worth of stuff for $120, they had my stuff waiting, I paid, and rolled on to the shop.

Paper and pen handy? Use it and take it with you. If I'm at my PC already or out and about, I'll put that info in the phone and since I always have my phone versus a pad and pen, we are cooking with gas.

Your last question is near nonsensical. Everything has a cost. Who said anything about 100% (or even 95%) efficiency. Learn what MORE efficient means.

Your inability to grasp this simple concept makes either incredibly dumb or just thick. Great book knowledge but without a shred of common sense.

I always make a face when people say that they're lives are too busy nowadays that they barely have time to do anything.And by busy they mean taking the kids to soccer practice and sending emails .

Oddly 100 years ago people weren't reporting being "too busy" when the they had to trek down to a stream to use a scrub board on their laundry or squirrel away potatoes in a cold room and chop wood to see them through the winter.

What was once seen as "luxury " is now seen as "necessity" and I'm sure many people now feel the "necessity " of their mobile phones.
    Uh huh.

I don't think you know what you are arguing anymore. People say they don't have time "to do anything"? People say they don't have time to maybe do other things due to what they are already doing.

I mean on a daily basis you've got:

Getting kids ready for school
    Work
    Checking homework
    Dinner
    Family time
    then....sleep.

Now if I am not stuck in traffic like for instance, the other day had I not looked at my phone, I'd have went on the thru side of the bridge (has no local exits) which stayed backed up for hours due to an accident.
    This smartphone concept is very simple.

What I have noticed is that people don't remember telephone numbers anymore. It's in the phone, they press send, so it's hunkydory. I dislike reliance on smartphones/tablets where your own brain turns into mush absent the phone.

The phone is a tool. Nothing more.
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-12-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast