2. Lounge   -   #22
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by TheDave@10 December 2003 - 00:39
    Afaik?
    As far as I know.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@10 December 2003 - 02:38
    This, even if it was possible, would place a massive strain on the server because the 'forum most active in' statistic would have to be computed for each user every time a post is viewed and the member group assigned accordingly. That's just not realistic with current server technology.

The fact is that such a thing is gimmicky and serves no purpose at all. If you want to identify yourself with a forum or phiposophy, use your custom member title.
    I adhere to no particular phiposophy, but thanks for the suggestion.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    give it 18 months

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+10 December 2003 - 02:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 10 December 2003 - 02:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@10 December 2003 - 02:38
    This, even if it was possible, would place a massive strain on the server because the &#39;forum most active in&#39; statistic would have to be computed for each user every time a post is viewed and the member group assigned accordingly. That&#39;s just not realistic with current server technology.

The fact is that such a thing is gimmicky and serves no purpose at all. If you want to identify yourself with a forum or phiposophy, use your custom member title.
    I adhere to no particular phiposophy, but thanks for the suggestion.[/b][/quote]
    JPol, the odious subjunctive mood rears it&#39;s ugly apple head again.

Lamsey should have said: "even if it were possible...."
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Originally posted by Lamsey@9 December 2003 - 20:38
    This, even if it was possible, would place a massive strain on the server because the &#39;forum most active in&#39; statistic would have to be computed for each user every time a post is viewed and the member group assigned accordingly. That&#39;s just not realistic with current server technology.

Yup. Clear out one thing for me...

"Most Active Forum" query is only made once and it is stored in a String Variable. Custom Member Group instead of taking preassigned names ("text value") can just have input as that String name instead of doing a query again. No extra query is made to get it only a reference is changed. Would this really affect the server load?

The invision board itself doesnt have an option for you to do it. A little php tweaking is required which is not that bad.

It was just an idea even I dont want it like that either.
    But just wondering...

Edit: Now that i think about it more, it will cause a server load when the max posts change from one member group to the other. And why would you compute each time?why not store it somewhere and reference it?

gotta go will check back later.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes+10 December 2003 - 02:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes &#064; 10 December 2003 - 02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@10 December 2003 - 02:41
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey
    @10 December 2003 - 02:38

I adhere to no particular phiposophy, but thanks for the suggestion.
    JPol, the odious subjunctive mood rears it&#39;s ugly apple head again.

Lamsey should have said: "even if it were possible...."[/b][/quote]
    I was tempted to post something similar, but chose not to.

One never wishes to appear churlish, when chaps are giving things their best effort and attempting to portray a serious persona.

I think that the fact you decided to post anyway says more about you than it does about hormod.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Yeah, good point.

It says I know how to post something properly

hugs

ghettogurl
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. Lounge   -   #29
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by hobbes@10 December 2003 - 03:04
    Yeah, good point.

hugs

ghettogurl
    Is there something you&#39;re not telling us hobbes?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@10 December 2003 - 03:04
    Yeah, good point.

hugs

ghettogurl
    We await said something with baited breath.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast