Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Do Trust More?

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    and that is their everlasting shame, that they are even jealous of their own writers, even to the point of almost suing themselves because the writers refused to play along with their retarded games. that story was so funny to me, that fox came to the unpleasant realization that their jewish writers had created such a likeable show, that trying to subjugate them or end the show would have put fox in an awkward position. so they had no choice but to allow it, it was a lose-lose situation for the fox executives, and a source of fine humour for me. i say, bravo, fox, bravo. you did a good ting.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    BBC news online is where i usually go for news. Watching news on tv, i'm not bothered, i like euronews & channel 4 news, but ITV or BBC news24 seem just as good. I didn't like CNN when i had it, ad breaks every 5 seconds and some of the presenters needed shooting.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I don't know if FOX tried to sue the writing team of The Simpsons. What I was referring to was a fairly ridiculous lawsuit filed against Al Franken for writing a book entitled Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right claiming that the phrase "fair and balanced" was a trademark slogan.

You can see the clip of Daily Show talking about the lawsuit here. It's a little slow to load, but it's worth it.

FOX lost their lawsuit. Big surprise.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Executive Intelligence Review - that's the ticket.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 December 2003 - 12:35
    I don't know if FOX tried to sue the writing team of The Simpsons. What I was referring to was a fairly ridiculous lawsuit filed against Al Franken for writing a book entitled Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right claiming that the phrase "fair and balanced" was a trademark slogan.

You can see the clip of Daily Show talking about the lawsuit here. It's a little slow to load, but it's worth it.

FOX lost their lawsuit. Big surprise.

what i was referring to, magicnakor, was a story on yahoo entitled "fox almost sues itself over simpsons parody" or something very similar. i'm sorry, but i didn't save the link, it was not the al franken thing you are talking about.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    i've been watching american television news a bit more than usual, this week, after the capture of saddam hussein. the coverage of the war, and of saddam's capture, gives me the impression that the common "liberal news media" claims are simply not true.

fox news is conservative from front to back, but the rest of the networks are just a mixture of neutral and conservative. take cnn for example-- is this a "liberal" network? i watch their morning show and see essentially no opinionated commentary from their anchors until conservative jack cafferty comes on to read viewer e-mails and throw a few anti-democrat comments around. shouldn't he and cnn be too embarrassed to show his face on tv after he ran that bicyclist over in nyc and drove away (through two red lights, while being pursued by a traffic cop), anyway? and lou dobbs... i just saw that guy espousing trickle down theory the other day, 'cause he didn't see what the AFL-CIO prez's problem with the current state of the economy was. sure, the manufacturing sector has been laying people off en masse all year 'round, the state & national gov'ts are deep in debt... but the upper class is getting big fat tax cuts, creating low-wage service & food-prep jobs, don't worry, man, it'll trickle down. i mean, if cnn is what passes for liberal news bias...

and i'm honestly just disappointed with all of that "embedded journalist" stuff during the war, the fact that every news program just repeats gov't & military press releases verbatim, and they don't challenge any gov't interview subjects with difficult questions. every interview i see with a u.s. government or military official on the news nowadays focuses entirely on logistic & strategic issues ("how are you gonna accomplish this? when do you expect to have that done? interesting... please tell me more!")-- as if the program is geared entirely toward war buffs and soldiers' wives. news programs are acting as transparent podiums for the u.s. government to distribute its views (and official accounts of war events), and it seems to me very much like implied support of the president's policies by the news media.

whatever channel i'm watching, i'm usually just waiting for the next puff segment that interviews a golden globe nominee or a local yokel who's really gone overboard this year with his christmas lights.

so... yeah... i prolly should put a bit of effort into watching foreign news, just for an outside perspective, since mainstream american news is all pretty much identical. that, and i do enjoy comedy central's daily show, which (while far from qualifying as an actual "news" program) does a good job of holding everyone's feet to the fire no matter what their politics are.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Its magic baby!
    seem as though news is now a part of a military campaign i don't think there are gonna be many balanced reports. Iraq and teh U.S. both used there coverage to influence peoples view and to get them on there side. In teh U.K. also bbc news was sensored in order to get people behind the country and govenrnment.

I believe that if you read a news report with teh understanding that it is bias then you get a much more balanced view.

Wiz.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    definately NOT CNN. Anyone remember their statue toppling scam? What the hell! does the US govt. own CNN? And where do they find those brainless news reporters?
    Since my only options of international news channels are BBC and CNN, I opt for BBC. They tend to spew less bullshit.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1@20 December 2003 - 17:03
    In the U.K. bbc news was censored in order to get people behind the country and government.
    really, in what way?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by ilw+22 December 2003 - 13:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ilw @ 22 December 2003 - 13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wizard_Mon1@20 December 2003 - 17:03
    In the U.K.&nbsp; bbc news was censored in order to get people behind the country and government.
    really, in what way? [/b][/quote]
    note news anchors changed around the war/liberation/invasion. Tim Sabastian has disappeared.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast