Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: About To Install Linux

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you know i love to ssh into my machines remotely, their is nothng more i love than a bit of command line tinkering.

still was gonna use it on and old machine have it stripped down with no gui and use it for a fileserver.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@27 January 2004 - 02:56
    you know i love to ssh into my machines remotely, their is nothng more i love than a bit of command line tinkering.

still was gonna use it on and old machine have it stripped down with no gui and use it for a fileserver.
    Then have at it.

X servers tend to be of no use if your using a linux box as any type of server. It will just take up valuable resources.

Btw..................who needs a gui anyway?

*edit* Once again. Any bsd as Im sure you already know 4play is not linux. Its based on unix from the berkeley software distro.

Still uses X though, if you let it. Just didnt want to get any linux n00bs confused.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    hey_suburbia's Avatar Poster
    Are there special versions of linux made for the laptop?

333mhtz
    p2
    192 RAM

besides NetBSD?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by hey_suburbia@27 January 2004 - 14:59
    Are there special versions of linux made for the laptop?

333mhtz
    p2
    192 RAM

besides NetBSD?
    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    Thanks for the link, extremely helpful. I actually went to that site before, but I thought it was just some kind of advertisement because of the way they have all of the computer models layed out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    Originally posted by shn+24 January 2004 - 00:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 24 January 2004 - 00:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ultimatejester@23 January 2004 - 17:53
    I wanna download Mandrake on but its on 3 cds. Also will i be able to run it from the cd.
    In the time it will atke you to download all thoose iso&#39;s you can have mandrake installed in less time than that if you do an ftp network install from a mandrake mirror.

All you have to do is download a small 1 to 2 meg boot image and use rawrite for windows to write it to a floppy. Rawrite For Windows

You have to use a server that has the o.s. files and not just the iso. When you get to mandrake download page just look for this:

Mandrake Linux 9.2 for i586 and higher

Here is an example of a mirror server with the o.s. files.......good bandwidth too.

ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/mandrake/9.2/i...ges/network.img

Once you write it to a floppy you just boot from the floppy and follow the installation instructions. You should have at least 2 to 3 mirror ftp addresses written down for the install because it will ask you for the exact ftp link and the directory. And if one does not work or you put in the wrong address you wont have to boot into windows just to find the address of another.........have more than one. [/b][/quote]

Thnx for that.

I have a laptop and i use a PCMCIA Adapter. Everytime i choose the option to download it through Ftp. It says" Plz note that PCMCIA Adapters are now supported, plz check pcmcia.img and one other .img file" and after that a page appears with different drivers i guess and then i chose pcmcia.generic. It asks me to send a command to kernel??

What do i do next?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    Never mind. I found it. I am suppose to download the image and wite it on the disk right.

Is there any big difference in MandrakeMove and other 3 disk version.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ultimatejester@28 January 2004 - 13:30
    Never mind. I found it.&nbsp; I am suppose to download the image and wite it on the disk right.

Is there any big difference in MandrakeMove and other 3 disk version.
    Yep just get that image and write it to the floppy. Hopefully you want have to pass any additional options to the kernel............I doubt it.

There is a slight difference. Plus you get a few less features with the downloaded version of mandrake move. But all thoose features can be added back, most people dont need them anyway.

The 3 disk version is a full fledged mandrake linux distro. There is really never a way to lack on features pertaining to a particular distro because you can add all that stuff later if you need it.

The mandrake move is great for laptops

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    BANNED
    Bleh.....stupid Mandrake Move .iso.... there goes 4 coasters

Downloading RH9 now

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    I decided to go with :
    680845312 MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD1.i586.iso
    681529344 MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.iso
    681504768 MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD3.i586.iso

Started to install on my
    366mhz
    192RAM
    p2
    Laptop

Got the following:
    Loading alt0......
    Loading alt0/all.rdz....................................................
    Ready.
    Uncompressing linux...........

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; invalid compressed format (err=1)

--system halted
    Any idea&#39;s what to do next?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast