Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Protowall Is Here!

Poster
    Originally posted by ultimatejester@6 February 2004 - 22:59
    Sorry about this noob question.

So i installed the driver and i got the .p2p file from http://www.peerguardian.net/pgipdb/guarding.p2p. Is this right.

Btw, protowall already sent 2456 packets in 1 min. Is that ok. Why do i need block list manager

Thnx
    To update "bad" IP's.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Where is the connections.log file.

Edit: I have already exported the blacklist to K-Lite and Emule but i cant seem to find the connection.log file which protowall uses.

Edit2:Nevermind. I found it.

Thnx.

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    Peerguardian uses < 1% of my CPU capacity on an Athlon Thunderbird 1400 / 512MB RAM. Doesn&#39;t seem as inefficient as some ppl would have us believe.

Granted, Protowall may be more powerful in some ways and technically oriented, but most filesharers just want to get on with the business at hand and not have to spend hours configuring obscure settings. As has been said, Protowall is not for "n00bs". (I&#39;m not ignorant of how my system works, but you have to consider the mass market - most ppl don&#39;t have the knowledge or time to configure advanced IP and router settings, etc. And before anyone runs down uneducated users, just remember that MP3 you&#39;d been after for ages could well have been downloaded from one of them, so encourage them, don&#39;t mock them&#33; ) Peerguardian is intuitive, easy to use and does its job well. It&#39;s caught several attempts by ARIA (the Australian RIAA) as well as BSAA and a couple of law firms who tried to access my machine while running KLR, so it&#39;s working for me at least. I&#39;ll keep using it for now.

It is good to see alternatives appearing, though - the more of these blockers there are, the harder it will be for the copyright dictators to combat them all&#33; And I like the way Protowall supports Peerguardian blocklists - we all need this kind of interchangeability if we are to be united in fighting the tyrants&#33;

Incidentally, I wonder how long it will be before the RIAA tries to ban this kind of blocking software? Its primary (and publicised) use is to evade detection by law enforcement, though it does have a legitimate use in blocking spam/spyware IPs. But that argument hasn&#39;t stopped the copyright Gestapo from trying to ban P2P software. Keep your ears to the ground on this one...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234