Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xp Home Ed. - Hangs On Shutdown

BANNED
    after runnning upto date av and adaware if this problem still instist then do an os repair with your xp cd, it takes about 20 minutes and all your files will be ok

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by ninjaken@2 February 2004 - 20:13
    Can you recommend a monitoring application to assist?
    AnalogX NetStat Live (at www.analogx.com ) is what I use to monitor total bandwidth useage on both downloads and uploads.

TCPview from www.sysinternals.com is what I use to monitor individual connections (but not their speeds ) so I can see if my computer is connected to anything whenever I think it's just sitting idle. I also use it to hunt for RIAA/MPAA/BSA scanning bots.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Thanks for the info Switeck, I shall visit those sites this evening.

Thanks Musleman, my understanding of XP repair is, that having booted from cd and selected repair, the repair function will automatically run. I tried it a few times prior to re-installing XP but it just dumped me into the C prompt!
    I believe this may have occurred becuase my XP system restore utility was damaged when I aborted the installation of a Kazzaa download accelerator(Ad supported, I believe) that, ironically, was obtained via a link from the KL Homepage!
    I think it is worth giving repair function another try, but not having seen it run successfully I would appreciate a 'walk through'or a confimation that my understanding is correct.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    BANNED
    Originally posted by ninjaken@3 February 2004 - 17:25
    Thanks for the info Switeck, I shall visit those sites this evening.

Thanks Musleman, my understanding of XP repair is, that having booted from cd and selected repair, the repair function will automatically run. I tried it a few times prior to re-installing XP but it just dumped me into the C prompt!
    I believe this may have occurred becuase my XP system restore utility was damaged when I aborted the installation of a Kazzaa download accelerator(Ad supported, I believe) that, ironically, was obtained via a link from the KL Homepage!
    I think it is worth giving repair function another try, but not having seen it run successfully I would appreciate a 'walk through'or a confimation that my understanding is correct.
    well the first prompt you get for repair you don't choose instead you choose install then it will take you to a second screen this time it will show you the prartition to repair on the bottom of the screen,now you high light the partition you want to repair then you choose "r" for repair

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Thanks Musleman,
    I shall try it this evening, run KL overnight and see what happens.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Hi All,
    XP's repair function hung while 'Installing Devices' . About 60% through this process I got a popup stating 'unregmp2.exe - ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND' with the message 'The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL'. I cannot get past this point! If I reboot, XP Repair simply resumes from it's boot point and stops at the popup. I have run XP Repair a second time with the same result.
    I am currently communicating with Microsoft to try and resolve this issue!

Comments welcome

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    After a protracted exchange with Microsoft, they were unable to come up an answer, their solution is to perform a clean install!

Having done this a number of times previously without correcting the problem, I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft have produced a faulty copy of XP (there may be more in use out there&#33.

I have since performed a clean install from a different copy of XP and have loaded the same 3rd party software as my previous setup. Guess what?....... THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!

ninjaken

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by ninjaken@8 March 2004 - 15:40
    Having done this a number of times previously without correcting the problem, I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft have produced a faulty copy of XP (there may be more in use out there&#33.
    Could be a very slightly scratched cd. A single bitflip (1->0 or 0->1) scratch on a 'key' file can make Windows unuseable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12