Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I Got A Question About Smoking And...

Listen DWK, tell him to visit a Veteran Administration hospital (or whatever is the equivalent in the UK- a hospital for retired soldiers)and talk to those guys about "quality" of life.

Cancer does effect some, but it really is not what causes the greatest suffering.

The real key here is that you can go on for 20-30 years being functional because the body is so forgiving, but when the symptoms appear, the damage is irreversible and the downward spiral is rapidly progressive.

As an analogy, you can walk on flat ground for a while until you reach the cliff, you don't even know it is coming. When you get there, the dropoff is very steep, and you go from "fine" to "debilitated", (can't walk to the toilet without getting short of breath(emphysema), can't go to the mailbox without your legs aching(vascular disease) and that pain in your chest may just be a signal of a massive heart attack (vascular disease, again) very quickly.

As I said before, in the young, even with all that pulmonary reserve, your exercise tolerance goes to hell.

Best of luck to your friend.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    There is a word i'm looking for... Hmmm.

Denile ?

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Somewhere in Egypt right?

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@7 March 2004 - 07:42
    Somewhere in Egypt right?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #25
    BANNED
    Now that was one type of answer I was hoping for.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by DWk@7 March 2004 - 01:00
    Yeps, of course I read it

I asked however, some averages. Perhaps some names of a sickness, illness or disease would help me. Oh btw, I already know about cancer, so strike that out
    lung cancer begins developing 2 years after the first cig, on average

also, is ur friend a girl? girls become shit ugly after about a year on cigs

bronchitis, that disease where your lung bottlenecks(forgot the name), that disease where ur lungs can barely absorb any air (emphezyma? i dunno. it starts with an E)

and i hope he/she knows that theres rat poison in cigs...

7. Lounge   -   #27
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@7 March 2004 - 01:30
    There is a word i'm looking for... Hmmm.

Denile ?
    this is where spelling correction comes handy VB:

its DENIAL, not denile

8. Lounge   -   #28
    If you accept that there are noxious substances in cigarette smoke, then you start harming yourself the first time you smoke. It really is that simple.

As hobbes points out, your body can correct for a lot of the bad things you do to it, particularly when young. However the cumulative effect of your abuse will eventually get to you. Then when the particularly nasty things start there is no going back. Even people who do not develop emphysema or the like will shorten their lifespan and the quality of what life they have.

No matter what anyone tells you, anyone can give up smoking. I smoked for 20 years and gave up. I have not had a cigarette for about 6 years now, I have no intention of doing so.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Poster
    i had a really bad xmas last year due to my mum smoking. She was put in hospital with a bad case of pnumonia. She got out 1 month after christmas. bad times...

10. Lounge   -   #30

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast