Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas (petrol) Prices

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I was living in England when i first started driving and a gallon was under a pound...i remember that because soon after it hit the pound and the shock was amazing...that was 2 1/2 decades ago mind you

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Poster
    i love my 125
    A good game is still good if its late, a bad game is bad forever, Shigeru Miyamoto

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by vidcc+2 April 2004 - 03:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 2 April 2004 - 03:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@1 April 2004 - 17:14
    If you think cheap petrol is recompense for living in a land of Philistines then good luck to you mate.
    if you READ (and don&#39;t try to tell me that what i wrote wasn&#39;t what i wrote) you will note that it said it bought home about the complaints i see on the news about our high prices (when it&#39;s a lot worse elsewhere)

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club [/b][/quote]
    What on earth are you talking about, I don&#39;t even begin to understand your point. Oh and I always READ, before I reply to anything. Much as that may be something of an unpleasant experience on some occasions.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Poster
    Unfourtinaly its true :

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+2 April 2004 - 18:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 2 April 2004 - 18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 03:04
    <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol
    @1 April 2004 - 17:14
    If you think cheap petrol is recompense for living in a land of Philistines then good luck to you mate.

if you READ (and don&#39;t try to tell me that what i wrote wasn&#39;t what i wrote) you will note that it said it bought home about the complaints i see on the news about our high prices (when it&#39;s a lot worse elsewhere)

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club
    What on earth are you talking about, I don&#39;t even begin to understand your point. Oh and I always READ, before I reply to anything. Much as that may be something of an unpleasant experience on some occasions. [/b][/quote]
    is this trolling?

his point was americans should stfu camplaing when peolpe in britain have to pay 5 times as much for petol
    A good game is still good if its late, a bad game is bad forever, Shigeru Miyamoto

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    In actual fact the high tax on petrol in the UK is Excise Duty and the "Purchase Tax" he refers to is V.A.T. There has not been Purchase Tax in the UK since pre 1973 (as I understand it).

There are many reasons why the distinction between duties and taxes are significant. Primary amongst these is that Taxes are purely revenue raising. Excise duty however, also has a social or environmental aspect to it. The Government can therefore have higher Excise duties on Petrol, Tobacco, Alcohol etc, so as not merely to raise revenue, but also to discourage excessive use. I think it is apparent that fewer cars on the road, burning less petrol, is a good thing.

I have no particular problem with this. The money to run the health service, schools etc must come from somewhere. If it comes from a source over which I have a degree of control, so much the better. I can choose a smaller engine, or public transport, or car sharing in order to minimize my tax burden.

Those in countries which pay less in taxes or duties should also look at cost of things like health care, education etc. One hears horror stories of ill people, with no insurance and unable to pay for the health care they need. I know things are far from perfect in the UK, but we have always had a good service. I hate to think what the bills would have been for both of my parents, had we not had the National Health Service.

Enjoy your 5L Gas Guzzler and your Gas at &#036;1 a tankful, I prefer our way, Philistines.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Those in countries which pay less in taxes or duties should also look at cost of things like health care, education etc. One hears horror stories of ill people, with no insurance and unable to pay for the health care they need. I know things are far from perfect in the UK, but we have always had a good service. I hate to think what the bills would have been for both of my parents, had we not had the National Health Service.
    amen to that

butt i also sticck to the point i pointed out that americans can stfu about expensive petrol

8. Lounge   -   #18
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 19:27
    In actual fact the high tax on petrol in the UK is Excise Duty and the "Purchase Tax" he refers to is V.A.T. There has not been Purchase Tax in the UK since pre 1973 (as I understand it).

There are many reasons why the distinction between duties and taxes are significant. Primary amongst these is that Taxes are purely revenue raising. Excise duty however, also has a social or environmental aspect to it. The Government can therefore have higher Excise duties on Petrol, Tobacco, Alcohol etc, so as not merely to raise revenue, but also to discourage excessive use. I think it is apparent that fewer cars on the road, burning less petrol, is a good thing.

I have no particular problem with this. The money to run the health service, schools etc must come from somewhere. If it comes from a source over which I have a degree of control, so much the better. I can choose a smaller engine, or public transport, or car sharing in order to minimize my tax burden.

Enjoy your 5L Gas Guzzler and your Gas at &#036;1 a tankful, I prefer our way, Philistines.
    Yes I know what it was like JP. When I was at school it was a regular occurrence that youngsters died from a burst appendix. This was caused I am sad to say by parents waiting till the last minute to phone, on the assumption that it was only a stomach upset, the doctor because they had to pay for it. The lack of proper facilities also had a bearing on these dreadful deaths.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@2 April 2004 - 11:27

Jpol this is why i said before that you appear to view yourself as an authority on the "WORD" of the law.
    WTF is the difference between purchase tax and value added tax? we use our purchase tax to pay towards schools and healthcare for those without insurance in our respective states...however you wish to word it, you are being taxed on the purchase.... IT&#39;S THE SAME THING. I understand what VAT is...i lived in England...my parents live there now.
    As to it being "duty" and not tax because it is an enviromental thing...Hmm....what does your chancelor do with the money?...it goes to the treasury.

Now read what boo says....

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    for jpol again...i know off topic but hey this is the lounge

american healthcare

this was a recent topic of mine relating to healthcare...you seemed intent on criticising our system (me) but you will see that i citicise it just as much. this is just one topic as i can&#39;t be bothered to troll all my post for other examples.
    don&#39;t try to get a "better than you" attitude because you will see that AMERICANS see the failings of THEIR systems.
    Again i will say that what boo said is correct...the post is about telling MY country to stfu about petrol....but being in the lounge it is a light hearted post so i pointed out why it was more expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast