Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our Neighbors To The North

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    If they were drafted into service it would have been different. They enlisted into the military.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@3 May 2004 - 08:16
    The real heroes are in Iraq fighting and dieing everyday for their country.
    dieing for whos' country? Ours? i thought you said we don't go to war to profit.

when someone enlists it is with a sense of patriotism to "protect ones country"...not to go around invading other countries for oil.
    I kind of agree with your point hank but i understand personal morals. One doesn't lose ones moral upbringing because one enlists.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Sometimes, it takes more guts not to fight..

Although dangerous and nasty in Iraq, the chances are they wold have come through their "tour" unscathed, and im sure they knew this.

Instead they have abandoned a country that they loved enough that they would have fought to defend, and can now never go back.

They have lost everything they had, to make their point.

Of course, this may not have been the case, and they enlisted only to get a decent education..... maybe someone should try asking them why, instead of just condemning them without a trial?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    dieing for whos' country? Ours? i thought you said we don't go to war to profit.
    I have never said that.

when someone enlists it is with a sense of patriotism to "protect ones country"...not to go around invading other countries for oil.
    You did.

@RF: The Canadian government won't return them to the US so we can't question them.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@3 May 2004 - 17:21

@RF: The Canadian government won't return them to the US so we can't question them.
    Nothing at all stopping anyone questioning them.

They cant be arrested and made to answer, they can still answer questions if they want to.

If its for political reasons, then im sure they'd be more than happy to answer the questions... of course Fox News may not be willing to broadcast what they say, but im sure that some US stations would.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@3 May 2004 - 09:21
    I have never said that.

quote hank

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    vidcc did you read my post? Where in it did I saw we invaded Iraq for the oil fields?

I was talking about when Saddam invaded Kuwait for that exact reasons.

Quoting Myself:
    We may have invaded countries but they were never to prosper from their riches it was to liberate them from someone who had.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@3 May 2004 - 09:53
    vidcc did you read my post? Where in it did I saw we invaded Iraq for the oil fields?

I was talking about when Saddam invaded Kuwait for that exact reasons.

Quoting Myself:
    We may have invaded countries but they were never to prosper from their riches it was to liberate them from someone who had.
    yes i did read it... and you said
    We may have invaded countries but they were never to prosper from their riches
    we are not talking now about the gulf war, we are talking about iraq.

in the original thread i have quoted this from i asked you just who is prospering from our "liberation" of iraq.... it's not the iraqis as nearly all the contracts have gone to american companies ( who has the oil contract? ) American business is doing very well in iraq thank you very much.
    The whole point was that we do only "liberate" countries we can prosper from.

edit : now i appreciate your viewpoint that you don't believe oil had anything to do with why we went in, i accept your view, but you are in a worldwide minority in that belief.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

You really should read up on how Hawaii went from an Independant Kingdom into a Republic and then into a Territory..... prior to Statehood.

Hawaii is unique in one respect.

It's King Kamehameha III asked to be part of the British Empire as a protectorate in the 1840's, something we turned down, to protect it from the US which had attempted to annex it (1st time)

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@3 May 2004 - 19:10

You really should read up on how Hawaii went from an Independant Kingdom into a Territory..... prior to Statehood.

Hawaii is unique in one respect.

It's King asked to be part of the British Empire as a protectorate, something we turned down, to protect it from the US.
    I suspect some Native Americans may quibble over the point also. There are very few Nations that have not turned to the sword in order to further financial interests.

The ME is one of the most economically important areas in the world. Political problems in that region affect every major economy in the world.

Events in Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Burma, N. Korea, China and currently Sudan demonstrate the indifference with which we hold economically irrelevant regions. This is not to say that Saddam's removal is a bad thing, but I feel it is more of a happy side effect of geo-poltical strategy than any desire to do something for the Iraqi people - or am I just cynical?

Edit: I am referring to events in China before it suddenly leapt umpteen places to become second largest economy in the world.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast