Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why 1-1=0?

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    If you have one pen and it is taken away then you will have to do mental arithmetic.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by Withcheese+7 July 2004 - 18:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 7 July 2004 - 18:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by danb@7 July 2004 - 18:09
    Originally posted by elitek@7 July 2004 - 18:27
    <!--QuoteBegin-MicroScreen2
    @7 July 2004 - 17:00
    1+1= equals window frame

i mean micro+screen = 2 words? or micro+screen = 1word+ 1word?

micro + screen = micro+ screen?
    or micro+screen = microscreen?

which one is correct?

your name "microscreen2" suggests micro+screen does not equal microscreen but equals microscreen in two words

WTF are you on about?

if you don&#39;t have something you can&#39;t take one away from it. If you have one pen and take one pen away you have 0 pens. If you had an absence of two pens () then the answer would be zero

If you have one pen and add one pen you have.......................... 2 pens
    And if you add an &#39;i&#39; to pens you get penis. [/b][/quote]
    ban band ban

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by danb+7 July 2004 - 18:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb @ 7 July 2004 - 18:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    1+1= equals window frame

which one is correct?

your name "microscreen2" suggests micro+screen does not equal microscreen but equals microscreen in two words
    WTF are you on about?

if you don&#39;t have something you can&#39;t take one away from it. If you have one pen and take one pen away you have 0 pens. If you had an absence of two pens () then the answer would be zero

If you have one pen and add one pen you have.......................... 2 pens [/b][/quote]
    not necessarily. so how about if you don&#39;t have a pen and you want to take one away
    0-1=-1

one pen+ one pen = two pens

but red+ green?
    ban band ban

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by elitek@7 July 2004 - 14:56
    not necessarily. so how about if you don&#39;t have a pen and you want to take one away
    Can&#39;t take away what you don&#39;t have now can you?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Who pinched my pen? I&#39;m having to use this old thing now.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by elitek+7 July 2004 - 23:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elitek @ 7 July 2004 - 23:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by danb@7 July 2004 - 18:09
    1+1= equals window frame

which one is correct?

WTF are you on about?

If you have one pen and add one pen you have.......................... 2 pens
    0-1=-1

one pen+ one pen = two pens

but red+ green? [/b][/quote]
    how are you going to take a pen away if there are no pens??

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol
    If you start with one pen and take away one pen (the pen you had in the first place obviously) then you are left with no apples.
    Very true. If you have one pen and take away one pen you not only have no pens (Pens? Why plural? There was only one in the first place) but you have no other things. Or you may have other things on which case the equasion would be x - 1, but assuming you are trying to deal only with like objects, you would have no pens.

Try this at home on your desk or another flat surface if you don&#39;t believe me.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by Alex H@8 July 2004 - 02:10

Very true. If you have one pen and take away one pen you not only have no pens (Pens? Why plural? There was only one in the first place) but you have no other things. Or you may have other things on which case the equasion would be x - 1, but assuming you are trying to deal only with like objects, you would have no pens.

Try this at home on your desk or another flat surface if you don&#39;t believe me.
    a pen is only relative to your sight(supposed you and the pen are still), but at the original time and space, the pen already left its position. at any time any space, the pen is always absent from the last time and space point. depend the defintion of "plus", 1+1 relatively to you =2, but =0 relatively to the last time and space point.

I am still trying to understand the negative numbers. 0 means nothing, and it doesn&#39;t represent anything, its true though
    ban band ban

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    I am guessing only you and the pen move back to the last time and space point, the current time and space become negative with -1 pen. since time cannot be traced back , negative numbers are impractical when they are applying to the presence and absence of objects. they are practical only in calculation for abstract conceptions. for example, you owe me 5 bucks, or I owe you -5 bucks. negative numbers represents "owe" but not the paper money.
    ban band ban

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by elitek@8 July 2004 - 03:34
    I am guessing only you and the pen move back to the last time and space point, the current time and space become negative with -1 pen. since time cannot be traced back , negative numbers are impractical when they are applying to the presence and absence of objects. they are practical only in calculation for abstract conceptions. for example, you owe me 5 bucks, or I owe you -5 bucks. negative numbers represents "owe" but not the paper money.
    Are you from Outer Space?

Your opening line should surely have been "take me to your leader"...

Then you can get him to deal with the pens issue, I have no time for it. I am busy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast