Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: User Ranks - Update

Poster
    Originally posted by JmiF@22 March 2003 - 07:33
    I for one like it.

Everyone keeps saying posts and stars don't matter. Then get upset about it, when VB changes it.

Judge the quality of a post by reading it, not by the number of things people have said. They could all be rubbish. On the other hand some people donīt post often, but when they do itīs really good. So read the post and the advice within it and decide for yourself.
    I'm not going after a member here JmiF, but do you think you might feel this way because you are a posting machine (not necessarrily post whore) and you are 6 days away from those 5 stars by my calculation?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #52
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Okay everyone, I've read your replies and a lot of you have valid points. So here's an idea. What are your thoughts? What are your suggestions? Think hard here, and give us your ideas. Maybe we can come up with some good ideas that everyone will be pleased with.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #53
    Mivaro's Avatar _________
    Originally posted by gumbydancin@22 March 2003 - 20:55
    I'm not going after a member here JmiF,  but do you think you might feel this way because you are a posting machine (not necessarrily post whore) and you are 6 days away from those 5 stars by my calculation?
    well, i've to post at least a year from now (my calculation ) before i get 1000 posts and i agree with JmiF you'll have to read posts to judge someone instead of looking at stars.....
    'English impaired'

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #54
    Poster
    Originally posted by gumbydancin+22 March 2003 - 20:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gumbydancin @ 22 March 2003 - 20:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@22 March 2003 - 07:33
    I for one like it.

Everyone keeps saying posts and stars don&#39;t matter. Then get upset about it, when VB changes it.

Judge the quality of a post by reading it, not by the number of things people have said. They could all be rubbish. On the other hand some people donīt post often, but when they do itīs really good. So read the post and the advice within it and decide for yourself.
    I&#39;m not going after a member here JmiF, but do you think you might feel this way because you are a posting machine (not necessarrily post whore) and you are 6 days away from those 5 stars by my calculation? [/b][/quote]
    Look at my member status. It has never risen above senior member. It could have risen a long while ago. I decided to ask that it be kept that way, VB was kind enough to allow me to stay as sr member.

I honestly think I have contributed to this board by the number and quality of sigs I have posted. The help I have given to some people. And a few laughs / smiles I have raised. I have also noised a few people up, as have some with me. A bit like real life in fact. I don&#39;t like everyone and not everyone likes me. Life would be boring otherwise.

I don&#39;t feel as though I have anything to apologise for. I am not a posting machine, I just happen to enjoy it here. It is the first forum I ever joined and it is the only one I am currently a member of (soulseek apart).

I feel I am entitled to have and express my opinion and I fully support your right to do the same.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #55
    Poster
    First off, I think you should bring the five stars back. The 1/3/5 thing is kinda ridiculous. Secondly, I&#39;ll say it again - I think they had it right when they stopped counting posts in the worlds and such a little while ago. I think it helped with spamming a bit (should more the longer it is in place) and showed the proper post recognition for people who contribute to the board by answering questions and such. I mean when you look at it honestly, mosts discussions in the worlds could just as easily be lounge topics, although I do feel a few too many posts were being relocated under this system. My posts count growth severley slowed during this phase, but I felt it was completely justified. I would also support raising the star levels a bit: lots of people have suggested a 0-99, 100-249, 250-499, 500-999, 1000-xx split. I would be more likely to support something like this. I think we could take away the flashy names and it may make people less likely to spam to attain them, but I doubt it. I&#39;ve metioned before that the whole post whore idea started glorifying a very bad habit and the attention it receives is out of control. Besides that, while we focus those comments on Fc and the like, many new members are much worse and receive no warning or reprimand. I think if you go through the members that average more than 10 posts per day and browse through the quality of their posts you will find some interesting trends. I lost my train of though. I&#39;ll think a bit and post again.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #56
    Originally posted by NikkiD+22 March 2003 - 12:03--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NikkiD @ 22 March 2003 - 12:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Okay everyone, I&#39;ve read your replies and a lot of you have valid points. So here&#39;s an idea. What are your thoughts? What are your suggestions? Think hard here, and give us your ideas. Maybe we can come up with some good ideas that everyone will be pleased with. [/b]

My suggestion again&#33; or at least Curley&#39;s suggestion&#33; It&#39;s where you get to customize the "Sr. Member" into your own lil&#39; thing after, say.... at 1000 posts or so. (of course, nothing offensive ) <!--QuoteBegin--Shinigami
    @22 March 2003 - 09:07
    btw, If we could customize a little bit...

instead of "senior member", I would like something "wandering poster" or "GeN-X-kId"
    [/quote]

P.S. Is it just me or is it that The_Great_Dude and I are the only ones that aren&#39;t really serious about this lol

Oh well, at least we aren&#39;t mad

Ps.s.s.s.ss. what do you guys think? more suggestions&#33;&#33;

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #57
    Poster
    Why did u do this i liked the idea have more ranks instead of a mere 3 ranks now.

WHY&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #58
    Poster
    Originally posted by JmiF+22 March 2003 - 15:07--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 22 March 2003 - 15:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -gumbydancin@22 March 2003 - 20:55
    <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF
    @22 March 2003 - 07:33
    I for one like it.

Everyone keeps saying posts and stars don&#39;t matter. Then get upset about it, when VB changes it.

I&#39;m not going after a member here JmiF, but do you think you might feel this way because you are a posting machine (not necessarrily post whore) and you are 6 days away from those 5 stars by my calculation?
    Look at my member status. It has never risen above senior member. It could have risen a long while ago. I decided to ask that it be kept that way, VB was kind enough to allow me to stay as sr member.

I honestly think I have contributed to this board by the number and quality of sigs I have posted. The help I have given to some people. And a few laughs / smiles I have raised. I have also noised a few people up, as have some with me. A bit like real life in fact. I don&#39;t like everyone and not everyone likes me. Life would be boring otherwise.

I don&#39;t feel as though I have anything to apologise for. I am not a posting machine, I just happen to enjoy it here. It is the first forum I ever joined and it is the only one I am currently a member of (soulseek apart).

I feel I am entitled to have and express my opinion and I fully support your right to do the same. [/b][/quote]
    I fully support you expressing your opinion, and I thank you for bringing to my attention your willingness to stay a sr. member. I truly hadn&#39;t noticed before. I feel that you contribute to the board and that is why I said, honestly, that I wasn&#39;t attacking you. I just posed a question. I guess I was trying to shed light on a strong trend among replies to this new idea that members who had low post counts don&#39;t seem to care, as with those who are around a thousand anyway, and that the ones like myself in the middle are most likely to feel disgruntled.

This trend of course has a couple flaws due to replies by those individuals who always kiss the mods asses and refuse to state their true opinions for fear of a bad image I guess.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #59
    ewww i revolt here too

WHERE THE STARS AT&#33;
    now there should be a poll to decide this

the members of the forum should have a WORD in this matter&#33;

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #60
    Poster
    Originally posted by Shinigami+22 March 2003 - 15:23--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shinigami @ 22 March 2003 - 15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -NikkiD@22 March 2003 - 12:03
    Okay everyone, I&#39;ve read your replies and a lot of you have valid points. So here&#39;s an idea. What are your thoughts? What are your suggestions? Think hard here, and give us your ideas. Maybe we can come up with some good ideas that everyone will be pleased with.
    My suggestion again&#33; or at least Curley&#39;s suggestion&#33; It&#39;s where you get to customize the "Sr. Member" into your own lil&#39; thing after, say.... at 1000 posts or so. (of course, nothing offensive ) <!--QuoteBegin--Shinigami
    @22 March 2003 - 09:07
    btw, If we could customize a little bit...

instead of "senior member", I would like something "wandering poster" or "GeN-X-kId"
    P.S. Is it just me or is it that The_Great_Dude and I are the only ones that aren&#39;t really serious about this lol

Oh well, at least we aren&#39;t mad

Ps.s.s.s.ss. what do you guys think? more suggestions&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m very serious about this, and I don&#39;t support you and Curley&#39;s idea because it adds more work for the mods however small of an amount, because they will have to approve every one. It&#39;s good in theory though. I&#39;m just trying to show that the current situation will not reduce spamming and shows a lack of respect for some very dedicated members.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast