Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disaster Aid Offer From The International Co

Originally posted by j2k4@14 August 2004 - 13:11
    I think {SHELL%SHOCKED} was being a bit facetious
    oh yeah... feigning ignorance with no apparent indication of humorous intent, in order to trick people into wasting precious minutes of their lives on pointless arguments. that's commonly referred to in forum jargon as "trolling." :jester:

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@14 August 2004 - 18:51
    that's commonly referred to in forum jargon as "trolling." :jester:
    That's debatable.

Actually, the conclusion is foretold in the thread's title; there is definitely room for such commentary (although it does clash with the expressions of sympathy).

Suffice it to say we all wish the best for those in the path of the storm.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by j2k4@14 August 2004 - 18:42
    true, true. although these things happen year in & year out and my gut reaction sometimes is "gee, why don't they just move someplace where the weather isn't like that? if you don't want your house to get flooded, don't live by the river. if you don't want it to tumble down a hill in a mudslide, don't live on top of a hill." if only the solution were so simple.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+15 August 2004 - 01:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC &#064; 15 August 2004 - 01:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@14 August 2004 - 18:42
    true, true. although these things happen year in & year out and my gut reaction sometimes is "gee, why don&#39;t they just move someplace where the weather isn&#39;t like that? if you don&#39;t want your house to get flooded, don&#39;t live by the river. if you don&#39;t want it to tumble down a hill in a mudslide, don&#39;t live on top of a hill." if only the solution were so simple.[/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m reminded of Sam Kinison&#39;s routine about the starving people of desert countries: "Why don&#39;t you go where the FOOD is?"

I think there&#39;s a rather large group of people in northeast Africa and many people all over the middle-east who wish they could be somewhere else for a while.

Of course, the psychology of "Why don&#39;t you leave?" has been the subject of at least a few books; would that we could address it here, eh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by j2k4+14 August 2004 - 16:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 14 August 2004 - 16:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@14 August 2004 - 15:42
    My sympathies with anyone affected... and I hope RPerry gets back online soon, so i know hes OK

I think Shell%Shocked doesnt understand the nature of International Aid...
    Anybody hears from RPerry please post to that effect?

Rat-

I think {SHELL%SHOCKED} was being a bit facetious (much as I myself was); figured maybe others would understand? [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m here and very much ok
    Only cosmetic damage done to my home, and based on what I have seen in the surrounding community, I am very lucky. Was without power and phone for 48hrs. Some still without power still. For those who don&#39;t know, I lived in my own house out here for about 5 yrs, and lost it when I lost my job last year. I am very glad to have moved, That section of Poinciana was in worse shape than the area here. I think most of it was because those homes were built pre-Andrew. The newer homes took this hurricane much better. I have heard the media is making this sound very bad. I know mobile homes took most of the damage, and as of today, there are only 20 reported deaths, and still scores missing.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I appreciate costs and the fact that many houses are old but one does wonder why such areas don&#39;t have a stricter building code in the first place
    I think the state and the isurance companies could get together and build affordable homes that are more able to withstand such events...surely in the long run it would be beneficial to not only the people that live in the homes but also the insurance companies.

I&#39;m glad that you are ok RP

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    RPerry-

Glad to hear everything&#39;s okay with you and your abode.

Most people don&#39;t realize what it is to do without even electricity and other basics, like a phone.

About 10 years ago, I was just getting out of the shower, heading for work, when I hear this rather large "BOOM&#33;" and a thumping impact; all the lights went off.

It was late winter/early spring, and we had gotten about six inches of wet, soggy snow, and the weight of it took a large branch off a big pine tree at the end of my driveway; in falling it took down my power and phone lines, and the power line fell (still arcing away) in that nice wet snow about five feet from my door.

I had towelled off and was standing in my doorway wondering what the hell I was gonna do (about 30 degrees out, no power, no heat, no phone, and I can&#39;t leave, &#39;cuz the power line is draped across my car and sizzling and arcing in the snow.

Just as how fucked I was began to sink in, a power truck came rolling down the road; he saw the line down and came to my rescue.

I was only 30 minutes late for work.

I thought that was pretty cool.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12