Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whats my bottleneck?

Your processor has a slower fsb than your memory so that will be the bottleneck at this time. It seems that your mobo will support Northwood processors with the 400 mhz fsb,they go as high as 2.8ghz at newegg. However, I don't think that your mobo will support the newer northwood or prescott processors, so the best option would be to look for a mobo+cpu combo on the net.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    your bottle neck is the top of your bottle that usually has a cap on top of it, i recomend drinking the liquid inside because thats what you do unless its motor oil or something

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    ok, jsut to get this straight, I have a motherboard that supports a P4 atm. The P4 is the cpu or processor that is 1.8ghz, and is my bottleneck. To upgrade the 1.8ghrz part, i should buy a compatible cpu to go w/ my motherboard, or buy a all new motherboard w/ a new cpu? Also, on Newegg when they talk about AMD or Intel motherboards, its not AMD or Intel thats acually making the mobo, but some other companies right? Also, ive never heard of any of the companies that make the mobos on NewEgg, i have no doubt that Newegg is a reliable source, but are these no name mobo companies legit?

ive never built computer and dont know much about nething except the vid cards, thx for all the advice thus far
    -TiMz

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Everything you said up there was pretty much true. Depending on how high a CPU your mobo can hold will determine a lot. You can get a pretty good mobo and cpu for about 160 if you go with AMD.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12