Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Netherlands Awakens!!

Yes, and the VAST majority of Americans are tolerant to Muslims. People only tend to post about exceptions to that rule.

And J2, unlike his "tit for tat" adversaries offered one huge difference, he added the smilies. That is the point, he made it plain that this was just an example of how one could use sound bites to flame ANY country.

It is NOT true "tit for tat" as he is showing his cards.

The post has nothing to do with Dutch people, it has to do with how those who are poltically motivated/agenda motivated can post partial truths to paint others in a derogatory manner.

I think the visceral reaction to the post rather nicely demonstrates the emotions an American poster has to deal with on a regular basis. I only pointed out your nationality, as you fall below the international radar and people aren't posting bullshit about Wales everyday.

It is so effortless to copy and paste some biased article, but much more difficult and time consuming to take the effort to show others just how the article is not telling the entire truth.

In this case, rather than play this straight up, that the Dutch are intolerant, J2 made it obviously tongue in cheek to demonstrate how easy it is take cheap shots at any person or country you wish.

I think, overall, the goal is to have people think before they post. Sadly our forum is so Anti-USA that there is this pile-on bandwagon mentality and people tend to frolick about in such posts.

Being American is like being a white male, everyone is justified in making fun of you, but you take a shot at any other group, you are labeled as an intolerant, sexist, racist bar-steward.
    Last edited by hobbes; 12-13-2004 at 05:58 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Provided J2 pops along later and confirms that he was merely demonstrating what the US members have to put up with then I share your views.

Yes I saw the smilies but I am still not wholly convinced that he doesn't share the sentiments of the post.

I think it is a little unfair to cattle prod the Dutch members into a reaction to get this point across but if that's all it was then ...meh. I was more concerned with the invalidity of the statement contained within the post.

Btw, I particularly agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    It is so effortless to copy and paste some biased article, but much more difficult and time consuming to take the effort to show others just how the article is not telling the entire truth.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I have to say that i didnt think the post was directed at all the Dutch, just like i dont take the "anti-US" posts as anti-American.

In every country you'll have people that agree with you and those that dont, so to label everyone with the same brush is daft.

Unless i state otherwise, just about every post i make about the US, is about their Government Policy... 49% of the population didnt vote for that Government, some that did dont agree with the parts im most strongly against.

I likewise attack the UK Government, this is not attacking the British population... just the Bar Stewards in charge.

I'm sure most people realise that... I know that J2 does

The Dutch, in general, are so laid back its unbelievable... but they do have their hardliners, just like everywhere else.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I have to say that i didnt think the post was directed at all the Dutch, just like i dont take the "anti-US" posts as anti-American.
    A shitload are though. I've had the pleasure of a discourse with one of your esteemed members of the moderation team.

He is not alone of course.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    My appologies if you ever take any of my posts as anti-american

I've met quite a few, and the vast majority that i have are nice people

As I've said before, I cant see how its even possible to have an anti-american post.. There is going to be at least one state that is very similar to your home country (if your european).. Its more like a Federation of 50 different countries.

You cant, as an example, say that California and Utah have more in common than they have as differences..

The only thing that links them is Federal Taxes and Foreign Policy

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced

As I've said before, I cant see how its even possible to have an anti-american post.. There is going to be at least one state that is very similar to your home country (if your european).. Its more like a Federation of 50 different countries.

You cant, as an example, say that California and Utah have more in common than they have as differences..

The only thing that links them is Federal Taxes and Foreign Policy

Rat,

I really feel compelled to comment on this, even though you were being light hearted. You posted something pretty similar a year or so ago and I will repeat that you are pretty much way off base on this comment. We are NOT, in any way, like a federation of 50 countries.

Pick any large city and it would be very difficult to tell one from another.

Most sub-cultures in the US are present WITHIN each State. People are more logically grouped into: urban-poor, urban/suburban and rural. These groups have significantly different upbringing to be conspicuous to even superficial observation (clothes, eye contact, politeness). In the suburbs, people will generally wait and hold a door open for you, where-as, in the inner city, they would make a point not to.

States boundaries are rather arbitrary, lines are drawn for the purpose of creating zones for political representation.

I think I would feel completely out of place moving from suburbia to a rural setting, whether it be within Missouri or moving 1000s of miles to Washington State. Having moved 1100 miles from the St. Louis suburbs to the San Antonio suburbs, I hardly see much of a difference. The main difference is the weather and that my toasted ravioli have been replaced with chicken quesadillas.

So many families are spread across the nation, rather than living in the same city as generations before, and there is so much travel in the country, America is pretty much become homogenized. And like homogenized milk, when churned, separates naturally into layers (inner city/urban/rural).

I will admit that there are regional differences, but not really very many.

PS- This has been a public service commentary by Hobbes for those preparing to visit the States.
    Last edited by hobbes; 12-13-2004 at 08:11 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Provided J2 pops along later and confirms that he was merely demonstrating what the US members have to put up with then I share your views.
    Done.

I never would have guessed that post would be taken on it's face, but it proved the point (that Hobbes, B, Rat, etc. tumbled to) rather better than I had even hoped.

Absent the smilies, I still don't suppose I'd have fooled Hobbes; sharp as a tack, he is.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Then the sarcasm with which I read it was intended? Phew!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    Then the sarcasm with which I read it was intended? Phew!
    You can actually read with sarcasm?

I'll pay American dollars if you can teach me, Nikki...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Good point. Perhaps I should have said "the sarcasm I perceived while reading it".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast