Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I just put together my first PC and...

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Yes. Hit [Del] and go into the BIOS and set the CPU speed to the speed of your CPU. Save changes and reboot.
    I have gone through a few different screens in the Bios and cant seem to find any place that has to do with my CPU clock speed.

The standard CMOS feature has date and times and which drives are slaves and masters.
    The Advanced BIOS screen has a lot to do with booting priorites, and features being enabled and such but no speeds.

I was only able to find a place to change the speed of the Ram, but nothing for the CPU.

It should be noted the when you first turn the computer on it shows that the CPU speed is 3.2ghz and the memory is 1gig (both correct).

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    New boards sometimes give the message that the cpu has changed, as does putting a new cpu on a used board. If the board is set to autodetect the cpu then simply going into the bios and saving will cure that problem, as it seems to have done.

I assume that you are now trying to boot into your old version of windows and that's where you are getting a failure. This is hardly surprising, it is trying to use the drivers for the old motherboard. You almost always have to do some sort of installation unless the old and new mobo's are virtually identical. You probably will need to do a repair installation as a minimum.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Update:

I was able to boot to the CD after I hit ANY key at the right time. I reformatted the drive and after a few attempts (seem to have problems coping files from the disc) I was able to boot into the XP screen installation process.

That all went well and good for about 90% of the way then I would get some blue screen of death stating that the computer has halted activity to protect my computer from damage, and to reboot and try again.

I did that and the same thing happened again. One would think it was overheating but every time i have checked the CPU temp it was a steady 40degrees . So I thought it might be memory I purchased 2 Muskin DDR 512 pc3200 sticks. So today I thought I would try it with just one, and that worked.

Kinda.

It got me to the windows XP tour that and began asking me questions about the settings and Internet and such, at which time it froze during the obtain IP address section.

So I rebooted and it seems to be working, until the next crash?

In a foot note the audio doesn't work.

I will keep you posted.

Should I update the bios?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Update

I ran the install disc that came with the MoBo and that corrected the audio problems.

It crashed and rebooted while running the install disc and I had to do it over again.

I started acting like it had no problems and installing my programs I use and it would simple reboot mid-doing something. Happened several times.

Three or four time is doesn't reboot and stops on this screen.
    http://premium1.uploadit.org/healimonster/IMG_0309.JPG

Ever seen that?

Any suggestions why it is sporadically rebooting or freezing?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Djtima's Avatar ^__^
    yeah... you shoulda seen what i did when i set up my mboard
    i put the powerbutton plugs on the usb pins

Tima's : [ Devart - AudioScrobbler - Xfire ]

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I am all but certain the problem was the memory.
    Sent it back and hope for better results from the next pair of sticks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12