Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: What does the rest of the World have that the USA does'nt?

uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Well, I see you've done a great job of vivisection on my last post Busy. Nice crucifiction job to end with too. So, in reply...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz
    I've personally met quite a few Americans, Busyman. My parents travel to the US regularly to visit friends, and some of those friends have come down here to visit us. There's some Americans enroled at my college too. On the whole, I think they're very nice people, stuck with an ethically challenged goverment. But hey... what country isn't, right?
    Exactly. I don't think one way about any country. I happen know everyone is different in some way. America ain't a hive mind by any stretch.
    So on that point, we agree. There's a first.
    Quote Originally Posted by uzi
    But when it comes to US foriegn policy, the war for oil in Iraq and the rest of the US propaganda I see on the nightly news, I'm just calling it as I see it. I see no dignity or integrity, and there's certainly no objectivity as a nation.
    You make no fucking sense. First you inch in US foreign policy where actually have a point....then you bring in US propaganda...what fucking propaganda...FOX News? Then you say no objectivity, dignity, integrity as a nation....where you have blanketed every individual here...which is where I tell you again FUCK YOU!!!
    FOX news does contribute, yes, but US propaganda pops up all over the Aussie media. Of course you couldn't know that, not having access to the Free to air and subscription TV stations, newspapers and radio in Australia.

When I say America as a nation, I'm talking about America's national representatives. You know those guys on Capitol Hill? The guys who make all the decisions and press releases and handle world affairs? I've been talking about them all along - not the general population. That was your own kneejerk perception telling you I was tarring everyone with the same brush... and damn, you sure got wound up about it... did you fall over when you stopped?
    Laura Bush was on the tube the other night wittering on about her worries regarding the world's view of America's image. She should be very worried indeed. We mostly see corporate greed, trailer trash TV, vapid "reality" shows, big guns and spindoctoring. If you don't like what I'm saying, then blame your own media for misrepresenting your great country.
    Corporate greed..your country has it too. You probably hark on our headliners, Enron and Worldcon.
    I know we do. I never said Australia didn't have it's fair share of corporate bastards. Rio Tinto, Newscorp, Santos - unconscionable arseholes, all of 'em.
    For the US, no, I wasn't harking back to Enron and Worldcom. There's General Electric, Pfizer, Monsanto, DuPont and all the tobacco companies though.
    You are in no moral high ground.
    Why is it every time an outspoken American hears something they don't like, they immediately dispute their perceived opponent's morality? Such a tired gambit.
    Trailer trash TV? You pick some bad shows to prove your point? Use logic, STFU, and watch Lost. vapid reality shows? Again it's a type of TV show..how that spurs this "no dignity, objectivity, and integrity is anyone's guess. Sounds like more bull .
    What's dignified about any of the programs I mentioned? Where's the integrity in showing some idiot making a fool of himself? Where's the objectivity and the integrity in a spin doctored "news" report? On top of that, untold generations of crap sitcoms, gameshows and infomercials that just insult the intelligence of the viewer. A couple of series of Lost does not make it all better.

Oh, and please give the "use logic or STFU" catchphrase a rest will you? It sounds like a bad commercial touting a dodgy constipation cure.
    Big guns? Well there's a war goin' on.
    Catchy phrase. Kinda trips off the tongue doesn't it? What happened back when there wasn't a war "goin' on"? Oh yeah... Presidents spreading fear and loathing against communism and building nukes instead. Enough to kill everything on the planet 32 times over, last time I heard. When that was over, it was secret arms deals with third world dictators and South American coke barons.
    Your country has got 'em too.
    The armed forces, yes. Not the general public though. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons are banned here. There was a national gun buy-back by the government, who destroyed them all after Martin Bryant's killing spree in Port Arthur, Tasmania back in 1996. Only guns left are bolt action rifles for the farmers, and handguns for the Police and gun clubs exclusively. You wouldn't believe what prospective members have to go through to join those clubs...
    Spindoctoring? It's everyone's reality. Our media is one of the most independent in the world. Half of America didn't vote for Bush btw.
    Spindoctoring is reality?? Your reality perhaps - not mine. It's factual obfuscation at the least. Outright lies at the worst. There's no integrity to be gained from deceiving people.

Calling me a racist simply because you don't like my opinion is similar to Bill Maher being branded a traitor by Spencer Bachus. The very idea is patently absurd.
    First off you weren't called a racist. You were likened to groups that blanket other groups based certain events and happenings.
    Whatever the context, it's still one helluva stretch.
    Some black people rob a liquor store and kill the store owner..next week you hear on the news a little black boy body slams and 8 year-old and killed her...next week...Oh black people must be criminals with no moral backbone......Americans soldiers killed a Muslim car bomber and accidentely killed a little boy in the process.....
    There's people like that all over the world. Yes, of course they exist in Australia. But how can you compare that to my dropping 3 pointed words into a forum thread? All I did was raise your ire, then sat back and watched as you worked yourself into a flamespree of libel, bad language and namecalling. You really do need to employ some objectivity, seriously.
    Bush was voted in office and he decided to go to war with Iraq and Iraqis are being killed....Oh Americans need to be killed.
    No, Americans don't need to be killed. But it's happening anyway, and it's a tragedy. What Americans really need is get out of Iraq asap, and let the Iraqi people decide what nation(s) should help them to quell the insurgents, IMHO.
    Should I be crucified or ridiculed for thinking that?
    Shit thinking like that with this American have no dignity shit likens you to the same idiots. You are a non-thinker that only looks at the pretty colors on TV...a brainwashed fool.
    In your own misguided opinion, perhaps. Once again, we return to the swearing and judgemental name calling. Did you get much froth on the monitor while typing that uninformed little diatribe btw?

The truth is, you went off half cocked without knowing my true meaning. You put words in my mouth, then worked yourself up over things that exist in your own head.

Tell you what, come visit Australia. Walk a mile in another man's mukluks. Maybe you'll get a wider point of view and learn not to take things so personally. The exchange rate'll be in your favour...
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 05-26-2005 at 10:51 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #132
    Class style good taste just for a start

3. Lounge   -   #133
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Well, I see you've done a great job of vivisection on my last post Busy. Nice crucifiction job to end with too. So, in reply...

FOX news does contribute, yes, but US propaganda pops up all over the Aussie media. Of course you couldn't know that, not having access to the Free to air and subscription TV stations, newspapers and radio in Australia.
    Then that's Aussie's spin on US propaganda. Duh. [sarcasm]I bet in Iran they get US propaganda from Iranian TV stations exactly how the US puts it out. [/sarcasm]
    When I say America as a nation, I'm talking about America's national representatives. You know those guys on Capitol Hill? The guys who make all the decisions and press releases and handle world affairs? I've been talking about them all along - not the general population. That was your own kneejerk perception telling you I was tarring everyone with the same brush... and damn, you sure got wound up about it... did you fall over when you stopped?
    America's national representatives are not America as an entire nation. American government is not all American people. With your initial statement - GO FUCK YOURSELF stands. With the convenient clarification, it's retracted. I'm sure your politicians aren't any more dignified, have more integrity, or objectivity. America is just in the limelight. Most politicians suck ass everywhere.
    I know we do. I never said Australia didn't have it's fair share of corporate bastards. Rio Tinto, Newscorp, Santos - unconscionable arseholes, all of 'em.
    For the US, no, I wasn't harking back to Enron and Worldcom. There's General Electric, Pfizer, Monsanto, DuPont and all the tobacco companies though.
    Oh really? You have corporate bastards? Sounds like the rest of the world including Australia is lacking dignity and integrity too.
    Why is it every time an outspoken American hears something they don't like, they immediately dispute their perceived opponent's morality? Such a tired gambit.
    No it was more like a Youain'tnobettermotherfucker gambit. That seemed pretty obvious from the sentence.
    What's dignified about any of the programs I mentioned? Where's the integrity in showing some idiot making a fool of himself? Where's the objectivity and the integrity in a spin doctored "news" report? On top of that, untold generations of crap sitcoms, gameshows and infomercials that just insult the intelligence of the viewer. A couple of series of Lost does not make it all better.
    Again you point out some TV shows like a gameshow hmmmm Jeopardy maybe, and say they insult your intelligence? America is about choice to watch what the fuck you want to watch. Apparently Australia has no TV except educational shows. Apparently Australian news has the best integrity of all news. My "moral high ground" statement stands.

Oh, and please give the "use logic or STFU" catchphrase a rest will you? It sounds like a bad commercial touting a dodgy constipation cure.
    Well you seem constipated. I smell shit on your breath and it's uuuzing from your fingertips.
    Catchy phrase. Kinda trips off the tongue doesn't it? What happened back when there wasn't a war "goin' on"? Oh yeah... Presidents spreading fear and loathing against communism and building nukes instead. Enough to kill everything on the planet 32 times over, last time I heard. When that was over, it was secret arms deals with third world dictators and South American coke barons.
    Hmm, it seems the communists had them too. I wonder why we should have 'em? Hey I don't condone secret fucked deals either. However, America ain't the only one. Maybe the rest of the world has corruption in their government too. This is startling!!!
    The armed forces, yes. Not the general public though. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons are banned here. There was a national gun buy-back by the government, who destroyed them all after Martin Bryant's killing spree in Port Arthur, Tasmania back in 1996. Only guns left are bolt action rifles for the farmers, and handguns for the Police and gun clubs exclusively. You wouldn't believe what prospective members have to go through to join those clubs...
    Cool, you've done something in that last ten years to reduce the amount guns of in your country. Great!!! Ya'll still got big guns though. Another startling fact!!!
    Spindoctoring is reality?? Your reality perhaps - not mine. It's factual obfuscation at the least. Outright lies at the worst. There's no integrity to be gained from deceiving people.
    Moral high ground moment for you. Your government ain't devoid of corruption. Your media isn't devoid of spindoctoring. Pretty simple.
    Whatever the context, it's still one helluva stretch.
    Not really. You all are ignorant either way.
    There's people like that all over the world. Yes, of course they exist in Australia. But how can you compare that to my dropping 3 pointed words into a forum thread? All I did was raise your ire, then sat back and watched as you worked yourself into a flamespree of libel, bad language and namecalling. You really do need to employ some objectivity, seriously.
    I don't work myself into anything here. It was a hypocritical insult and you were treated in kind.
    No, Americans don't need to be killed. But it's happening anyway, and it's a tragedy. What Americans really need is get out of Iraq asap, and let the Iraqi people decide what nation(s) should help them to quell the insurgents, IMHO.
    Should I be crucified or ridiculed for thinking that?
    Show me where............other than that we agree on something.
    In your own misguided opinion, perhaps. Once again, we return to the swearing and judgemental name calling. Did you get much froth on the monitor while typing that uninformed little diatribe btw?
    No I happen to know people. I know that your government nor it's people are no better than anyone else's.
    The truth is, you went off half cocked without knowing my true meaning. You put words in my mouth, then worked yourself up over things that exist in your own head.
    No not really. Even after your convenient explanation of an obvious blanket statement you made little sense in regards to this "dignity, integrity, and objectivity"
    Tell you what, come visit Australia. Walk a mile in another man's mukluks. Maybe you'll get a wider point of view and learn not to take things so personally. The exchange rate'll be in your favour...
    Coming to Australia will help me take shit better or make me take a shit?
    I would love to come there but not for those reasons. It would be for your upstanding news media, educational only TV shows, and perfectly run government.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-27-2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #134
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    And I happened to have another opinion. One that comes from having watched a lot of stuff from all over the world to boot.

I didn't even need to call anyone any names to get my opinion across, either, huzzah.
    Neither I so the point of that statement was what?
    I think you are incapable of posting in a thread without insulting someone

I'd like to hear your top 10 films.
    Right now (but I often change my mind, depending on my mood):

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (french)
    Le Grande Bleu (french)
    Akira (japanese)
    Elling (norwegian)
    Ghost in the Shell (japanese)
    The Fifth Element (american (french director))
    Musa (korean)
    Bullit (american)
    Pusher (danish)
    The Returner (japanese)

Don't think it'll make you any happier

I recently saw this german one about the fall of the Berlin Wall, where this bloke tricks his mom (who has been in a coma) into thinking that it never fell, which may or may not be on the list once I've thought some more about it.

Apart from that I can say (about the countries most of the stuff I watch comes from) that I also tend to like chinese (mostly movies from Hong Kong, but also some from the mainland), australian (Placid Lake made me laugh, to name a recent one), some spanish and a lot of british movies, while I think that indian movies suck in general) and finnish and swedish movies almost always bore the feck out of me, the finnish ones more so than the swedish.

And I do like some american movies, of course, though I have to say that on average, I'm not too fond of them (for every good one there are at least two where you wonder wtf they were thinking). The original Star Wars trilogy used to be among my very favourites, but it has fairly recently taken a plunge.

5. Lounge   -   #135
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Everyone except you, eh.

Busy, you usually go off half-cocked, you always resort to personal insults and you never see another person's conflicting point of view as having merit.

uNz[i] has you sussed.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #136
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    no matter how bored i get; i'll never read this thread

7. Lounge   -   #137
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Neither I so the point of that statement was what?
    I think you are incapable of posting in a thread without insulting someone

I'd like to hear your top 10 films.

Le Grande Bleu (french)
    Akira (japanese)
    Elling (norwegian)
    Ghost in the Shell (japanese)
    The Fifth Element (american (french director))
    Musa (korean)
    Bullit (american)
    Pusher (danish)
    The Returner (japanese)

Don't think it'll make you any happier

I recently saw this german one about the fall of the Berlin Wall, where this bloke tricks his mom (who has been in a coma) into thinking that it never fell, which may or may not be on the list once I've thought some more about it.

Apart from that I can say (about the countries most of the stuff I watch comes from) that I also tend to like chinese (mostly movies from Hong Kong, but also some from the mainland), australian (Placid Lake made me laugh, to name a recent one), some spanish and a lot of british movies, while I think that indian movies suck in general) and finnish and swedish movies almost always bore the feck out of me, the finnish ones more so than the swedish.

And I do like some american movies, of course, though I have to say that on average, I'm not too fond of them (for every good one there are at least two where you wonder wtf they were thinking). The original Star Wars trilogy used to be among my very favourites, but it has fairly recently taken a plunge.
    I think the last 3 Star Wars sucked in comparison. Tbh I think for every great American made movie there are actually 15 to 20 bad ones. America churns out so many that it's an easy assessment. However, it's kinda like Sony's Playstation it has the most games and the most bad ones....but it has the most good ones too. My opinion of course. Many movies over here go straight to DVD also so they duck under the hypemobile.

That's pretty that you could name your top ten. There are so many movies that I like that it would be hard for me to do the same.

edit: This a little weird and I know it's your opinion of course but were you trying to name some foreign movies to prove a point. I've seen some of the ones on your list and well...The Returner? ....a top ten movie? (yeah I really do watch subtitled movies)
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-26-2005 at 02:50 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #138
    [QUOTE=SnnY]

Le Grande Bleu (french) finally someone who knows this one

Elling wtf?? its too much of a reminder of the paranoid dilusiional country i managed to get myself into - No thanks

9. Lounge   -   #139
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Everyone except you, eh.

Busy, you usually go off half-cocked, you always resort to personal insults and you never see another person's conflicting point of view as having merit.

uNz[i] has you sussed.
    No, not when it's a popular bandwagoned and hypocritical potshot....nahhh.

Usually there's an insult squeezed in there by the other party first.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Lounge   -   #140
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    @busy, re: the returner: Yeah, I know, it's a bit weird, 'tis just that I thought it was really funny in a culty kind of way, kinda' like gunhead, if you've seen that one, and sometimes you need something without too much depth. And like I said, some go off and on that list like yo-yos, depending on how I feel.

@zed: You don't like elling? I think it's brilliant, it made me laugh a lot.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-26-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast