Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my computer getting slower and slower

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    your right it looks ok but i would still run pddefragger

to post all your startups simply post the hijackthis file
    Here's the HiJackThis! log. The only things I removed prior to this post was the AdobeGamma thing that IKE touched on and an nVidia systray thing. Looks clean otherwise.

I'm gonna start on some of that PM stuff.

Spoiler: Show

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    registry healer - Done.

PerfectDisk defragger - Does this need to be done?

p.s. I just restarted due to doing so many amendments and it seems there is no change thus far in the startup speed or most importantly, the execution speed.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    take your hijak log and anlyse it here http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/ & http://www.hijackthis.de/
    there are items you can remove
    i use both sites cause they both have different virtues
    i dont have time to go thru it now

do the defragger when your not busy (use the pdd smart method)

wait for other replies

also you could probably disablesome sevices
    http://web.archive.org/web/200411280...servicecfg.htm

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks6.htm
    Last edited by 99%; 05-26-2005 at 11:27 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    have you looked at you task manager to see what is using the resources when you open something? does it go to 100% and if so what process?

The defrag is a good idea to do on a regular basis especially if you have a lot of traffic...download/burn to cd then delete from your hard drive...

Is your ram on one or multiple sticks? is it possible you have some of your ram has gone bad?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    How many tasks do you have running in the task bar ? Like bottom right ? Your start up time might not bother YOU, but things are running in the back ground all the same. Have you tryed a trojan scanner or an online scan like Mcafee or Trend Micro. ?

As for a memory tester there are many free ones .
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-26-2005 at 11:37 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I'm going to start doing the things in your list in a sec, but to answer your question, these are the things running at startup. There is one more that is ticked that is not shown. ObjectDock.

The startup time is no big deal really. It's when I'm trying to do things on the PC and it's extremely laggy, things are timing out, and not responding that sux, though I think the two problems are surely related since they started at the same time.

you have what they call a "SHITLOAD" of start up programs, I have about 23...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    I truely recommend doing a FULL defrag using Perfect Disk. Then, do an offline defrag (again, using perfect disk). Those two defrags (yes, they are different defrags) should fix a lot of slow speeds. Also, ur startup should greatly speed up in loading too.

What else...
    reg cleaner - U said u did that.
    Deleted trash files - U said u did.
    Scan for virus/spyware/adware - Dunno if you already said u did. But I would recommend NOD32 for antivirus. Then for spyware/adware I recommend Adaware, Spybot and Spysweeper.

Yeah, so really u need to defrag full and offline.. Also, if you have any programs that skin or change the appearance of Windows, I recommend you do NOT use them. Those programs really slow down the computer and take a lot of CPU speeds.
    Last edited by Bishtawiman; 05-27-2005 at 12:08 AM.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    have you looked at you task manager to see what is using the resources when you open something? does it go to 100% and if so what process?

The defrag is a good idea to do on a regular basis especially if you have a lot of traffic...download/burn to cd then delete from your hard drive...

Is your ram on one or multiple sticks? is it possible you have some of your ram has gone bad?
    There is no one program that "milks" my memory. If I look at the system processes, they are ok. I let the defrag run tonight while I'm at the bar. I don't think that'a going to fix the problem but I'll do it anyway. It can't hurt.

My RAM is on a single 512 stick btw.

How many tasks do you have running in the task bar ? Like bottom right ? Your start up time might not bother YOU, but things are running in the back ground all the same. Have you tryed a trojan scanner or an online scan like Mcafee or Trend Micro. ?

As for a memory tester there are many free ones .
    Here's my taskbar. As you can see, it's pretty minimal.

I have NOT tried a sole trojan scanner but I would think if it was something odd that HiJackThis!, AdAware SE, or Spybot S&D would have picked it up.

you have what they call a "SHITLOAD" of start up programs, I have about 23...
    Not really. There is a whole long list, but only only a few are checked to run. Just the OS, Norton AV, wireless mouse, Ultramon (dual-monitor program), ObjectDock, StyleXP, and WhatPulse. That's not much at all.

Also, if you have any programs that skin or change the appearance of Windows, I recommend you do NOT use them. Those programs really slow down the computer and take a lot of CPU speeds.
    I use StyleXP, but I've been running it for a year without any problems. I don't see any reason that it would start now.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I went thru the same kinda thing about 2 months ago . Banging my head agaist the wall .It was a mystery . I ran Norton Windoctor and it found about 20 problems with activex controls . Don" t know if it will help you ..............but. It could be a corrupted program or a driver you updated recently.

Edit you don't have to install Norton system works it runs from the cd. But you can't undo changes.

I was thinking mabye run a regcleaner aswell. There are some good tips from Ross's gude on all of the above posters advice, here :

http://tvg.pinecurtain.net/
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-27-2005 at 03:53 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Retired
    1. you dont have the latest version of HijackThis.
    2. do you use multiple monitors? if not you dont need UltraMon.exe

you use StyleXP and ObjectDock? you really dont need those programs. you can also use a small patch then you dont need to have a program installed for custom themes.

get firefox and remove the googletoolbar

Make sure you have the latest version of Java

Ati HotKey Poller??? you have an nvidia card

if you use norton 2005, you should check out Symantec Corp. it uses the same definitions as 2005 but it uses less RAM
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 05-27-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast