Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitcomet what do the headers mean?

lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by victord66 View Post
    Is this the error you mean? Or will it say something about bc or client status?
    you would get an explicit message that tells you the client is banned, just like the not registered one.

like berserk mentioned, always read the particular tracker's rules and faq and search the forum for 'banned clients' to double check.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Thanks and I have searched, but nothing specific to my question. In any event since (according to the recent poll) Bitcomet is the third most popular client, I'll keep using it. A third of all users can't be wrong and the banning problem must not be that serious.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Could someone provide a bit more info as to why Bit Comet may be banned from some trackers?

Also when you say "private sites" are these just the smaller exclusive ones or would the banning effect you when downloading from the likes of torrentspy and the other big fairly open torrent sites?

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    berserk1980's Avatar BERSERK BT Rep: +4
    @sek612 you can use any clients you like in torrentspy . mininova, ..........
    no one cares.

why bitcomet is banned by some private sites?
    i think it is a unfair and dishonest client. (just my guess)

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    How about Demonoid (will it effect downloads from these sites if Bit Comet is banned from private ones)?

So the problem is to do with the way it shares files or the developers or ... ?

I have seen the passkey error mentioned when using a smaller site, is this linked to the use of Bit Comet?

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    its developer's problem. i dunno demonoid's rules.
    you should check it by yourself.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17

is it clear?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Thanks

Here seems to be a bit of info for others about some possible problems with BitComet from Wikipedia:
    During versions 0.59 to 0.60, BitComet received bad publicity because of an incomplete implementation of the DHT feature. DHT is a protocol that can connect peers without the need of a tracker. BitComet's implementation did not respect the 'private' flag of a torrent. This in turn allowed users that hadn't signed up to avoid download and upload ratio restrictions, which are common on private trackers. Many private trackers have now banned all versions of BitComet because of the flawed implementation of the DHT feature. Although this problem of not respecting the private flag was solved in the 0.61 release, there are still many DHT leaks. Thus BitComet remains banned on many private trackers.

Two of the major DHT bugs were fixed with the release of BitComet 0.64. These were editing the .xml file of the active .torrent to allow not only DHT but PEX to run as well. The other bug is pasting "DHT Network" into the tracker list in the properties section of a .torrent.

BitComet's upload slot limit is known not to work. BitComet has also been accused of favoring other BitComet users on uploads, hammering trackers, dropping piece requests, not obeying requests for keeping connections alive, willfully dropping conections without need and trying to reconnect with multiple connections in order to gain more upload slots from the seeder.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    I use bitcomet 0.60

I find it frustrating that I am capable of downloading at about 230 Kb/s but I seem to be usually downloading at 30Kb/s whilst up loading at 24 kb/s

Occasionally my dl has increased to 70 , 80 90, 120, even had 230 once.

I also notice when I have 30 kb dl / 24 kb ul with one file, and another file has 90kb dl/ 20 kb ul when each file is on seperately not at the same time. But when I put them on at the same time, the 90kb/s dl may reduce a little but the 30kb dl for the other file goes down to about 16kb/s.

Is this something to do with stupid download upload ratios? or is it more to do with I occassionally connect to someone capable of uploading at good speeds.

If this is because of stupid ratios, I'm amazed people have kept with torrents, the most ISPs set the upload speed at 10% of the dl speed, it is out of the users control to increse it. It's just stupid to limit peoples download speeds to effectively 80% loss in capacity.

In other words why I wrote this is because it says above that BC 0.60 was able to overcome some of the stupid ratios, I wonder if when I see a huge download speed (anything greater than 40kbs) Is this my BC 0.60 overriding the ratios? If it is then I am very happy to use BC for this reason.

If I change clients Will the fastest dl speed I get be under 40kb/s?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Well, after reading all of the above, I think I'll take some advice and give Azureus a try. Can I finish a dowload with Azureus that I started with Bitcomet? Can't seem to find a way to do this. Tried force-recheck but got an error. Anyone? Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast