Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to learn standard....

Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    why?

because...im your friend

fuck off
    Last edited by Alien5; 11-16-2006 at 03:33 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    You created that penguin to represent you. You lost then found it. When he was gone you changed your name and plants and when he was looking for you he walked past..

easy life for you sure.. I mean, a psychiatrist may say you were the penguin..

..I'm not gonna leave it so prosaic - just becasue it fits doesn't mean you have to eat penguin soup and in fact I would be disgusted if you did

3. Lounge   -   #13
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Start off on a hill you'll get the hang of it real quick . Thats the only hard part really ,think of the clutch and gas pedal as a seesaw and your on your way .

4. Lounge   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Learning to operate a manual transmission is definitely an "AHA!" experience.
    Completely mystifying and seemingly impossible (much like riding a bicycle really) until you finally get it right and then it's a piece o cake.
    All of my cars have been stick shift and, on the rare occasion when I must drive an automatic, my left leg reflexively twitches, in search of something to do.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Life Seeker
    geez... i really admire u guys.. I'm 20 and coming to 21 soon, yet i still don't know how to drive... When can i get the time to do that.. Ohh...

6. Lounge   -   #16
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    I was going to say "WTF is standard" but Bo beat me to it

then when I realised what you meant I was going to say that it's a piece of piss

worrying
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    You think like me, you're a clevar lady

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Learning to operate a manual transmission is definitely an "AHA!" experience.
    Completely mystifying and seemingly impossible (much like riding a bicycle really) until you finally get it right and then it's a piece o cake.
    All of my cars have been stick shift and, on the rare occasion when I must drive an automatic, my left leg reflexively twitches, in search of something to do.
    Teaching No 1 son to drive and it is proving to be interesting (in that he sucks at it). He was baffled as to why we use manuals rather than automatics - the only thing I could think of was that it would be too easy - he just gave me one those teenage "looks". I tried to explain that manual cars are more fun and macho but I could tell he was unconvinced. So we shall play kangaroos a while more. I was think about changing my car but I have decided against it for the moment and SGG will able to drive in a few months although she says she does not want to. (That may be wise given her inclination to make a bee line for the biggest fastest ride in the theme park and then, with insane grin, immediately re-join the queue once she is off.)
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. Lounge   -   #19
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Oh ffs

Dip the clutch and put the car in first gear.

Slowly lift the clutch (leave the gas alone) and you will hear/feel the biting point. If you don't recognise it get a fucking bus, the car is talking to you.

Give it a wee bit of gas and then continue lifting the clutch pedal.

Practice that and then you will know how to pull away in a car. Then learn how to co-ordinate how to let the hand brake of just after the biting point, when the engine is holding the car stationary.

How fucking difficult is that.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Oh ffs

Dip the clutch and put the car in first gear.

Slowly lift the clutch (leave the gas alone) and you will hear/feel the biting point. If you don't recognise it get a fucking bus, the car is talking to you.

Give it a wee bit of gas and then continue lifting the clutch pedal.

Practice that and then you will know how to pull away in a car. Then learn how to co-ordinate how to let the hand brake of just after the biting point, when the engine is holding the car stationary.

How fucking difficult is that.

I have not taken quite that tack in my lessons although the fundamentals are the same.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast