Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: are people really allowed to give their accounts away?

BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yeah I was thinking about the friend thing. I let my buddy use an account when I was totally new to torrents and he actually wound up building me a huge buffer lol

I guess that would be a lot less risky. But I guess its advisable to follow the rules and/or check with staff.

Thanks for the replies guys.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by DMariano View Post
    There is a difference between trading the account and giving it to a friend.... you should take that into consideration aswell
    Actually there isn't. Both are a fake identity after being traded/given away.

And also something that never gets mentioned. Trackers that don't like accounts being given away, will count it as a trade, hence the one that accepts it might get in trouble as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about the friend thing. I let my buddy use an account when I was totally new to torrents and he actually wound up building me a huge buffer lol

I guess that would be a lot less risky. But I guess its advisable to follow the rules and/or check with staff.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Always check with staff before sharing an account with a friend. Also sharing an account with a friend and giving it away to some internet friend/random person are two very different things.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 02-24-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    znik's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    You will be held responsible for whatever bad behavour the previous holder had. (cheating on the account, warnings, annoyance of other members on the tracker, attempted trades inside the tracker etc).

Your IPs will be associated with the ones of the previous holder and you could also be banned on many other trackers, since all trackers exchange data about bad users.

That means: don't giveaway and don't accept others' accounts!

You will probably be instantly banned when you try to change the passwd and registered email of the transferred account, but even if that doesn't happen, the risks are far more than you could imagine.

If you no longer need your account, ask a mod to delete it and let another member take your slot in the tracker legitimately, via an invite.
    Last edited by znik; 02-24-2008 at 07:07 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I wouldn't mess around with accounts now that I'm a little more informed about torrents.

I only shared cheggit for a bit with my real life best friend and at that point I didn't even know what "connectable" meant...

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Nice. Well said. But giveaways are ok -invites right? I have no invites n never gave any up for if i did unless a Real friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by znik View Post
    You will be held responsible for whatever bad behavour the previous holder had. (cheating on the account, warnings, annoyance of other members on the tracker, attempted trades inside the tracker etc).

Your IPs will be associated with the ones of the previous holder and you could also be banned on many other trackers, since all trackers exchange data about bad users.

That means: don't giveaway and don't accept others' accounts!

You will probably be instantly banned when you try to change the passwd and registered email of the transferred account, but even if that doesn't happen, the risks are far more than you could imagine.

If you no longer need your account, ask a mod to delete it and let another member take your slot in the tracker legitimately, via an invite.
    Last edited by pone44; 02-24-2008 at 07:40 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    For most tracker, account giveaway isn't allowed.

Most tracker treat account giveaway as account trade mainly coz there isn't really a way to distinguish account giveaway from account trade. All staffer see is IP change, email address change, pw change...and thus they assume it's a trade.

Beside, with account giveaway (i think should be 'account takeaway' lol) XYZ is getting in a site with ABC's identify which can create 'security issue', may be XYZ isn't wanted in that site etc.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    znik's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    pone44 you also put the trackers into risk if you giveaway invites to just anyone here.

I read a lot of times people writing "Be active (meaning give away a lot of invites) so as to have a chance later on to request a free invite".

People who give away invites carelessly are not neccesarily to be trusted, even if they don't trade.

Reason is: the more invites your invitee giveaway carelessly, the more chances your tree will be full of bad apples, and one day the whole tree will collapse, taking you down as well.
    This scenario has happened numerous times on bitmetv for example in the past.

Respect the trackers that they don't like their invites been offered publically and only invite people you know before, and can trust.

A member who has used your invite wisely in the past will almost certainly use your invite on another, harder to get tracker, the same way.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by praveenpious View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F3n1x View Post
    I just give invites persons that i know now. No more public giveaways.

cheers
    Even i too do the same
    WTF, ive just banned your account on BCG because you were giving it away, make up your mind.

Giveaway is just as much frowned upon as a trade, because they both end up being the same thing for the actual tracker your giving away/trading.

You may be a good member, and we want you on the tracker, we dont want who you think will be a good member in your place, they could be.

Cheater/Scammer/Trader/Seller/Powers that be to name a few.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-24-2008 at 10:19 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Trading should not occur in any way. But that's not why I'm making a post here. It's about stoi. Blackcats-games is an awesome site with excellent, helpful staff. The only weak link is stoi, the owner. You, stoi, has been an amazing influence and support to this site since ever [I've hear stories way back] but lately you've become an arsehole, mainly to common users like me. And now you've even banned me for the sole reason that I got hacked. Even though I took back my account, and sealed it shut against further hack attempts, with the help of the BCG staff you disabled my account with 'scamming' as a reason. WTF stoi, seriously. If you are as paranoid and whacky recently as I hear you are you should just chill out and instead you're taking it up on users like me. Shame, just shame.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Whatever, you havnt got an account anymore, so just get over it for god sake.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast