Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dupe accounts

ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Some people have several FST accounts.Personally I've never understood why it been allowed.
    Hopefully some staff member will enlighten me.
    Something that I've never understood either. I know there are older members here who frequent the lounge that have dupe accounts but they don't misuse them. Most of those who create dupe accounts and post in the BT section will be doing it to gain an advantage in some way.

I know that when they choose to, the staff here will look out for certain banned users who try to create dupe accounts and usually catch them. The problem seems to be that if you're not banned there's nothing in the rules here to stop you creating a dupe account....should be though!

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Check the giveaway section, that could be just one account.Not even posting about the trade section-some of those are the members requesting invites in the giveaway section under a different nick. Wow!
    Last edited by pone44; 11-19-2008 at 11:25 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    well, it's a long job looking for dupe IPs, trust me.
    no need for special scripts as it comes built in vB since install, but yet doing a check on some members that look shady could reveal interesting results.

IMO, both accounts should be deleted in case they were found, but that's not what it happens, one of them stays.
    I understand that probably the member would create another 3rd one, and it's an extra hassle. I think they should disable the most "popular" account of the ones.

or maybe make the criteria to access those sections a bit tougher to reach. when i registered it was like 30 posts or so + a month. I think it was pretty fair, one post per day.
    now, i've no idea how it works.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    That is how it was when i first came here. 1 post per day in the giveaway section, i thought? That rule is gone now.?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    well, it's a long job looking for dupe IPs, trust me.
    no need for special scripts as it comes built in vB since install, but yet doing a check on some members that look shady could reveal interesting results.

IMO, both accounts should be deleted in case they were found, but that's not what it happens, one of them stays.
    I understand that probably the member would create another 3rd one, and it's an extra hassle. I think they should disable the most "popular" account of the ones.

or maybe make the criteria to access those sections a bit tougher to reach. when i registered it was like 30 posts or so + a month. I think it was pretty fair, one post per day.
    now, i've no idea how it works.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    WhoopDeDoo's Avatar Cutie <3 BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Anyone with a dupe account should have their IP banned. Period. I've belonged to a lot of strict communities before and they've never had a problem simply because they banned idiots who do that type of thing.

Music lover, baby.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Some people have several FST accounts.Personally I've never understood why it been allowed.
    Hopefully some staff member will enlighten me.

I think it's more a technology thing as opposed to staff being negligent.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Having more than one acct is infact allowed, I myself don't exactly understand it, none the less it is the rule here. More specifically only 1 acct you may have is allowed to access the Bt section. If we find users like this we will disable all but one of their accts. If you guys think this is somethingthat should be changed start a poll about it and get the upper level staff's attention and maybe something can be done.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I agree about allowing dupe accounts. This is an open forum and not a private tracker with stiff rules about dupe accounts.
    Click here if you want to join TTC

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Fine to say that but can you give a single legitimate reason why a second account would be necessary?

I'm not saying go on a banning spree.Just prune the dupes for the sake of integrity.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    another one that i already discussed privately with the staff is the nick changing policy.
    i can understand that sometimes people want to change their nick, but a problem arises when you have BT reps around here.
    theoretically they are bound to that specific user, with that nickname etc etc.

what is happening is that some change nick (to keep their postcount), hide their BT rep past, and voila, here they are fresh as new to start over, but with enough post count so that in giveaway they aren't considered newbs.

in all my honesty, i think that changing the current policies towards dupe accounts, possibility of hiding the bt rep and nick changing would solve a lot of the lack of trust that is in order here.

i can open three separate polls to see what the members think, but first i would like to ask the staff if i should/could do it, and then further discuss it there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast