Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bail them out?

The government should really start considering removing protection clauses for TBTF (too big to fail); if a company knows that it will be doing poorly, it could acquire other companies while still remain within the anti-trust market share limit. So, when they're doing poorly, they're the first on the list to get economic stimulus packages; bail-out money, if you'd rather refer to.

IMHO, GM is going to fail before AIG.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Any of these institutions that are "too big to fail" are too big, period.

It's an Enron lesson, ftw.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it.

They failed and it closed.

Now we are trusting the economy of our country and our banking system to the same nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling whiskey.

Amazing.
    Logic and fact fail.
    Are we in fact counting on the "same nit-wits" from 1990 to solve our problems today?

If conservatives are convinced that "government" is, in and of itself, useless and by definition "bad"...why are they so eager to run it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it.

They failed and it closed.

Now we are trusting the economy of our country and our banking system to the same nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling whiskey.

Amazing.
    Logic and fact fail.
    Are we in fact counting on the "same nit-wits" from 1990 to solve our problems today?

If conservatives are convinced that "government" is, in and of itself, useless and by definition "bad"...why are they so eager to run it?
    You have nothing to fear from a true conservative.

Republicans are another matter, democrats yet another, as we've seen.

As to your 1990/present conundrum, what has changed - apart from some of the names, of course.

The logic and fact are just fine.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    I would assume that most of the players active in 1990 are gone, replaced with better units.
    Unless you're assuming that simply joining a government lowers one's performance and capabilities, there's no reason to equate what happened in 1990 in Nevada with what's happening today in DC.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    惡魔的提倡者
    The federal government did NOT attempt to operate the Ranch, so it didn't fail. It seized it in a bankruptcy proceeding and although they had planned to allow it to keep going until sold to recoup the debt a judge refused to allow the bankruptcy trustee to assume the Ranch's business license. Instead, the IRS foreclosed on the property and auctioned it off a few months later.

Spam emails tend to be factually challenged

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I would assume that most of the players active in 1990 are gone, replaced with better units.
    Unless you're assuming that simply joining a government lowers one's performance and capabilities, there's no reason to equate what happened in 1990 in Nevada with what's happening today in DC.
    "Better units"?

I can't believe you think politicians are getting "better".

Holy shit, I can't - I mean I really can't - believe you said that.

I am utterly floored.

Really.

Barack Obama couldn't carry Bill Clinton's water, and you know what I think of Clinton.

Harry Reid?

Big Nancy?

Any of what passes for Republicans?

Find me a single Democrat who measures up to the like of Pat Moynihan, or Sam Nunn.

They were around in 1990.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    The federal government did NOT attempt to operate the Ranch, so it didn't fail. It seized it in a bankruptcy proceeding and although they had planned to allow it to keep going until sold to recoup the debt a judge refused to allow the bankruptcy trustee to assume the Ranch's business license. Instead, the IRS foreclosed on the property and auctioned it off a few months later.

Spam emails tend to be factually challenged
    Doesn't make 'em wrong.

The government rode it under, and that's a fact.

Bill Clinton was actually impeached, too.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Pining for the good ole days?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    惡魔的提倡者

Doesn't make 'em wrong.

The government rode it under, and that's a fact.

Bill Clinton was actually impeached, too.
    So if an email isn't factually correct it isn't wrong?

The government seized a business that couldn't or wouldn't pay it's bills and sold it, as it happens to the same guy they seized it off of in the first place who used an assumed name.

They never tried to run it so they couldn't have failed.

They did close it down, or at least a judge did, but then isn't closing brothels high on the social conservative wish list?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast