Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people keep launching 0day sites?

I really cant see why there is all this negativity about new 0day trackers being launched. I've seen folks trash new trackers without even bothering to have a look inside
    (siteowner makes a thread about a new tracker and someone posts a smartass comment like, '0day? i stopped reading right there'.)

Really it's not like you have to pay for their hosting. Why the whining?

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    All internet communities have the core group of regulars who have seen 100 of those same threads. It's a mix of apathy and skepticism that develops over the years. Most of those sites suck and will fail, as past experience proves, so the tendency is towards sarcasm.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    All internet communities have the core group of regulars who have seen 100 of those same threads.
    But that to me is exactly the problem with the trackers i listed in my above post, apart from TB, who have the weird signup and its still pretty hard to get in, are invite only.

99% of the users of TPB and Mininova/BTJunkie etc etc have no idea how to get into these other private trackers, because they are private, and they know no one, but all the ones that are in the private sites, have 10 or more of the things, so dont use all of them as much as they should/could.

and if someone tries to do something a bit different to global ratio only, BCG, Pretome, and plenty of others, new members that think they know it all, think its crap as they cant buffer up their account and then hit and run on everything else.

Honestly trackers cant win, either they are Global Ratio only but P2L, or they do something different and Global Ratio is better, but those same members still complain about P2L lol, and if a new tracker starts up, its dead before it gets going, either post on here and all the ones that think they know everything, dont want anything to do with it, or post torrents onto mininova and just get leechers/hit and runners and cheats.

When i started BCG there was Bitconsole, i got told a lot that i was daft to go up against them, even though i never seen it that way, but look where BitConsole is now and see where we are, but i could have quite easily have give up, I still hear comments today that TL is better than BCG, i am like, so what, i dont care, i am not in competition with them and i dont think they are with me, i am not even in competition with UG-BG, they can do what they want and i can do what i want with BCG, i dont give a fuck tbh lol

and if someone says, it will never work, whats the point, can get things elsewhere, blah blah blah, that just makes me more determined to prove them all wrong.

GL to all the new trackers, i hope they all have the same attitude as me, and prove everyone of the doubters wrong.
    Last edited by stoi; 07-23-2009 at 04:26 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    The problem is when new scene tracker sysops have no staffing experience at all. They don't know nothing about tracker leadership, underestimate the cost and only have a paid coder whom they don't know.

You need a minumum of experience as a staffer on another tracker to successfully run and manage a new Tracker. And sometimes even they fail badly. Scene Releases have to be uploaded fast. Without auto-trader or race tools and FTP access and huge seedboxes forget about it. This shit costs a lot of money. You gotta be able to pay that money out of your own pocket for at least 3 to 6 month, because noone donates for an unknown new tracker.

I would never join a new tracker when I don't know at least one staff member. It's just a waste of time and also a matter of security. They often just don't know how to secure private user data. Suddendly you find your gmail full of spam or hack attempts on other accounts of yours.

I suggest you use a fresh email and a unique password when you join new sites. Always keep in mind that it's highly illegal what we do in most countries. The price of having joined a unsecure new tracker may be a little to high. In other words, better safe than sorry. People sit in prisons just because they contributed to their favourite new tracker.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-23-2009 at 05:17 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The problem is when new scene tracker sysops have no staffing experience at all. They don't know nothing about tracker leadership, underestimate the cost and only have a paid coder whom they don't know.

You need a minumum of experience as a staffer on another tracker to successfully run and manage a new Tracker. And sometimes even they fail badly.
    Doesn't have to be a scene tracker, but very well put, Polarbear.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I didnt know anything about running a tracker when I started.

The difference was i started small and grew.

Home Laptop 500mhz 512k ram 32 KBs upload
    Shared server in Sweden for £12 a month
    HK for £200 a month
    Germany for £600 a month
    Canada with my own servers (co-location.

New trackers these days go for the HK at £200 a month and just cant cover it at all. Even I am seeing a massive drop in donations lately, but i still wont send a mass PM (yet) only when i am totally desperate will i do so, and i am not totally desperate yet.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    GL to all the new trackers, i hope they all have the same attitude as me, and prove everyone of the doubters wrong.
    prolly the best advice anyone could give and if anything i think scenesound is proving to be the best testament for that if you look at this year's start ups.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    scenesound is proving to be the best testament for that if you look at this year's start ups.
    What's scenesound?

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    scenesound is proving to be the best testament for that if you look at this year's start ups.
    What's scenesound?
    Scene MP3 tracker based on SoftMP3 source.
    http://scenesound.org/

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by filenetworks View Post

What's scenesound?
    Scene MP3 tracker based on SoftMP3 source.
    http://scenesound.org/
    Thanks. I hardly download V2 rips anymore. If I can't get it lossless I buy it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast