Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decrease Fan Speed

leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Ah ok I get it! Sorry
    I will try this.

But what about the temperature my AMD Duron 1 Ghz CPU must not exceed. How can I know it ? (Is there any internet site where they give the information for each model of CPU?)

And what will be the difference of temperature wether my computer run with the minimum of programs, or the maximum ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Try googling using the searchwords...AMD Chip Temperature .

You'll get a zillion hits.

Obviously, the more work your processor is performing, the hotter it will run.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Tanks a lot man!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Try not to run the Duron any hotter than 55 or maybe 60 C maximum.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Really!!

I've just get an AMD documentation which says that the limit for my CPU is 90° Celcius. Isn't 60°c a bit paranoid ?

And when you say 60°C, do you mean that my CPU must never exceed this temperature, or just that it should be the temperature of my CPU when not so much apps or 3D games are running?

Also do I have to care about the main-board temperature ? Mine is at 30°Celcius at the moment.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    *Bump*

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Your motherboard temp is fine, but your processor temp is certainly high for normal running, especially with an 8cm fan. The max temp quoted for the Duron chip (90C) is the temp at which it fails, you certainly don't want to get anywhere near that.

You may think that you are only running at two-thirds of the maximum temp, but you are thinking about that on the Celsius scale. If you consider it on the absolute (Kelvin) scale, you are running at a temp of 333K, with the maximum at 363K, so you are already running at over 92% of maximum.

What sort of thermal compound do you have between the heatsink and the processor? Considering your relatively low motherboard temp I don't think that case cooling is a problem and your fan should be big enough to remove heat from the heatsink, so I can only assume that you have poor thermal transfer between the processor and the heatsink.

I strongly suggest you get some arctic silver compound, but make sure you remove ALL the existing compound from the heatsink. If it is a thermal pad, remove as much as possible with your fingernail or a plastic scraper (do NOT use a metal scraper). Then clean the base of the heatsink with a solvent and dry it thoroughly before adding new compound.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Ok I'll get some artic silver soon. My thermal compound before was wether "Sil-more" or "Zalman thermal grease". I can't remember which one I used.

1 hour ago, I've decrease my CPU fan speed to the minimum, And hmonitor says the temperature of my CPU keeps being 60.5° Celcius, for 45mn now, with low running.
    Can I keep this setting?

But still something strange:
    When I have a look to the performance in "Windows task manager", it says the CPU usage is at 100%. Is that normal ? Idon't think it was like that before.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by leonidas@19 October 2003 - 10:47

When I have a look to the performance in "Windows task manager", it says the CPU usage is at 100%. Is that normal ? Idon't think it was like that before.

No, that IS NOT normal.

A constant 100% usage?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+19 October 2003 - 17:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 19 October 2003 - 17:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas@19 October 2003 - 10:47

When I have a look to the performance in "Windows task manager", it says the CPU usage is at 100%. Is that normal ? Idon&#39;t think it was like that before.

No, that IS NOT normal.

A constant 100% usage? [/b][/quote]
    if its system idle prosess its normal&#33;

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast