Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Why The Hell Don't You People Know How To Spell?

Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean+14 November 2003 - 21:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 14 November 2003 - 21:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vamp
    ..that denotes that the lose, ..
    What does that mean?

Why do people who set out to offend people always seem to use the expression "no offence"?

[/b][/quote]
    Just like talking about gays, not that there is anything wrong with that.

2. Lounge   -   #102
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Nice to know that when you wake up after a good nights sleep, the k-lite lounge is still being frequented and taken care of by young punks. Now, did anyone wash the dishes whilst i was away or must daddy do it again - punks? -

3. Lounge   -   #103
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    cos u chat shit

i still think your a wanker&#33;&#33;&#33;
    on page 2
    once again scribble-dick opens his mouth

so i made a reminder of him

ALSO like vamp said
    "your a wanker" dont make sense

SUCKER

4. Lounge   -   #104
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Vamp, I support you and offer my opinion,
    Now first of all, I am about to set myself up for the same ridicule and name-calling that&#39;s been dumped on you for voicing your opinion and obvious frustration by your daringly bringing up a subject that is so very prevalent throughout our society....illiteracy....the product and end result of (for one thing) broken homes, one-parent homes or homes where both parents were compelled to go out and find a job, leaving the child to fend for his or herself. (alright, this doesn&#39;t, nor do I mean to insinuate that it is, applicable to everyone simply because of misspelling a word). This then leaves the child without the proper parental guidance he or she needs to carry on, in a home environment, the education which had begun at school. No one to oversee the child&#39;s homework or answer questions the child might have about his schoolwork or, in this case, to point out the correct spelling of words. The child then does poorly in school, realizes he cannot keep up with the class, get&#39;s discouraged and perhaps drops out. Left then to survive with only remnants of whatever education might have been fortunate enough to sink in and, sadder still, left to the mercy of what he sees and hears in movies, video games, gangsta-rap, hip-hop and tv. This now becomes part or all of his education and abilities and completes all the individual has to draw from when posting a simple message or perhaps having to write a business letter or other communique.

Your attempts to point out common syntax, grammatical, and spelling errors like "your" for "you&#39;re (you are)", "looser" for "loser" (one who did not win) etc, etc, are admirable but will only fall on deaf, and somewhat defiant, ears. These folks have no recourse now except to strike back in the only way they know how.....by name-calling and ridicule (yes, ok, bring it on&#33

Let me leave on a positive, constructive note however and perhaps offer something, a simple tool, that, if properly used (and accepted) might just help those that may want to help themselves blend in with the mainstream and keep themselves from drawing negative attention to themselves....not for WHAT they say, but simply for how WHAT they say is spelled.

http://www.m-w.com/promos/button/button.htm

Follow this link and install the Merriam-Webster OnLine Dictionary on your browser toolbar.
    Quoting from the page:
    Add this helpful tool to the toolbar of your internet browser. Then, highlight any word in a Web page, click the button, and a dictionary entry of the word will appear. It&#39;s free and easy to install. Just follow the instructions.
    To those who need it, use it and if you learn to spell even one word per day correctly then that would be a small battle won in the fight against illiteracy and you would have done your part to help yourself. Don&#39;t use it? Well, that&#39;s your prerogative too.

Good luck,
    mrlessk

5. Lounge   -   #105
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@15 November 2003 - 02:11

i did read precisely what you wrote, and i equated "poor form" with "incorrect." if you care to clarify the difference, or perhaps explain how poor form is suitable to poor and stupid people but unsuitable to the wealthy and educated, i&#39;m all ears.
    It&#39;s a figure of speech, used in this context for comedic effect.

As in " that was poor form old man". To jump a queue, would be poor form. To not hold a door open would be poor form. I don&#39;t think that would be synonymous with incorrect.

Perhaps I just read to much Wodehouse old bean.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. It just shows that if thing are not expressed clearly, or if they are mis-read then this can lead to misunderstanding and possibly even friction.

Maybe that&#39;s the point the chap was making.

6. Lounge   -   #106
    BANNED
    @ Fiber: Scribblec is a she, and a good looking one from what I&#39;ve heard. She also sounds real cute. Have a listen ... Scribblec.

7. Lounge   -   #107
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@15 November 2003 - 04:10
    As in " that was poor form old man".&nbsp; To jump a queue, would be poor form. To not hold a door open would be poor form. I don&#39;t think that would be synonymous with incorrect.
    understood. i&#39;m aware of "poor form" as a description of bad etiquette, although i took it more in the literal sense as it relates to sports where there is a correct technique and an incorrect one, i.e. in the sense that a novice shows poor form in golf or tennis.

hopefully you did bother to browse the articles i linked, and noticed that academics favor the serial comma. personally i&#39;m in the habit of omitting the serial comma in any list of 3 or more nouns or adjectives ("red, white and blue" rather than "red, white, and blue"), but it is technically incorrect to omit it.

but then again, i believe that language is fluid and it&#39;s dictated by common usage, rather than by a static vocabulary & grammar. to invent new words, spelling and grammar is to follow in the footsteps of people like shakespeare, who were unsatisfied with the language as prescribed by pre-existing rules.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011