Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Your Firewall Stop This?

Originally posted by Samurai@11 January 2004 - 06:39
    I Failed

Using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 Build 2516 Signiture File Serial Number 1.0.1042

I know my firewall is up to date... I think it has to do with something else. I mean why do you have to d/l it? I belive it works because it is already on your system so no need for a firewall.

If anyone has used a port scanner, for instance, NetBrute, you'll learn that among all the IP addresses you'll see, yours is also visable. This doesn't mean everyone else can see it, just that it's visible to the program awake on your PC.

Simple Really

That's just it... this is a test that you load.
    A trojan can easily do this and do it without any open windows you wouldn't even notice it.But you failed and that was the whole point of the test..its not a trick or anything like that..Its something that could easily happen when you download something and run it...

I will post at the end of this threads life which 3 firewalls, to date, passed this test and let me tell you now Sygate was not one of them B)

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #22
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by Samurai@10 January 2004 - 09:39
    I mean why do you have to d/l it? I belive it works because it is already on your system so no need for a firewall.

hey, i wanted to be skeptic too,
    but what DVD says is true,
    thats how a trojan works bro
    it d/l's some evil shit to your pc
    and runs w/o you knowing locally
    read just about any trojan defs,
    and it'll tell you as much
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #23
    BANNED
    I think it has to do with something else. I mean why do you have to d/l it? I belive it works because it is already on your system so no need for a firewall.
    Mate thats where the one end of a trojan would be on your hd.What it does is use another process to access the net.One of your other progs.Just enable "dll auth' so it cant modify them.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #24
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Differences between trojans and this software as as follows:

1) nothing was installed with this app, thus no foreign software installed to alert my AV of it's nature

2) trojans are, mostly there to transmit data to another user via the Internet. This is done by IP addresses, and for this to happen, my firewall would alert me to any outgoing data.

I believe this software is not as spectacular as what people are making it out to be. I'll be researching this further...

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #25
    Poster
    I failed

EDIT: Sygate firewall pro.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #26
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by ck-uk@10 January 2004 - 09:53
    Just enable "dll auth' so it cant modify them.
    tried that C, didnt work, kept gettin the pop-up from sygate,
    kept denying it, still got a failed result, just couldnt view it

unless pro's got a better auth prog than personal
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #27
    Originally posted by Samurai@11 January 2004 - 06:56
    Differences between trojans and this software as as follows:

1) nothing was installed with this app, thus no foreign software installed to alert my AV of it's nature

its not testing your antivirus...its testing your firewalls out bound protection
    take a look at the name of this thread..does it read "Will your Anti-Virus stop This?
    No it reads "will your firewall stop this"

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #28
    Originally posted by samurai
    trojans are, mostly there to transmit data to another user via the Internet. This is done by IP addresses, and for this to happen, my firewall would alert me to any outgoing data.
    Thats not quite right dude.

Pcaudit uses IP addresses as well (you cant transfer data over the net without them).

The reason your firewall didnt pick it up is because it hijacked an application (probably internet explorer) that is already allowed to access the net.

A trojan could do exactly the same thing and your firewall wouldnt pick it up either.

This is a very big deal.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #29
    BANNED
    Enabling dll auth should stop it mate.

When i tried the test mate i watched tri accessing throught around 7 different apps including my modem software deamon tools bt etc.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #30
    Bear in mind people this thread is not about bashing different firewalls ..id hoped that people who tried this test would learn something from it that may benefit themselves or others so lets keep the thread from blowing up in our faces ladies & gentlemen...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast