Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushed too far!

Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Yup, we have about 12 light bulbs in some cupboard somewhere. The only problem is; they keep sending us the push and twist kind when most of our lights are screw fittings.
    You should get down the Car Boot sales on a Sunday then Skweeky... they're not cheap those bulbs... you could maybe make a few bob...

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    I could go round the Barras trying to flog them. Get myself a big long coat.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Anybody got any old 60w'ers they want to sell?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    They have started making fluorescent cats.All you gotta do is feed them.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    I believe we have quite a few "60W" members.

You can tell who they are, they are a little dimmer than the rest.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I believe we have quite a few "60W" members.

You can tell who they are, they are a little dimmer than the rest.
    Brilliant.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Some of us 60W'ers are the like the new fluorescent bulbs- we are much brighter than some of the older "loungers" and use less energy to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I was in WalMart the other day. Among other things, I needed light bulbs. We have heard all of the environmentalist cries about saving salmon and polar bears, etc. And our household has complied with all kinds of "energy efficient" gadgets and practices. Our house is kept between 62 and 66 degrees F during the winter, and in the summer we hold the temp around the low 70's. We have already replaced our "death to the environment" 75w and 100w bulbs. We even installed new windows and ceiling fans. We have been "good environmental citizens".

Like I said...I was shopping for light bulbs. I knew what I needed- 60w. These were compromises from the previous 75+w bulbs of the past.

To my great irritation, I was not able to find a single 60w bulb in the entire store (two aisles devoted to bulbs of all shapes and sizes). I was able to find 52w bulbs! This is done to "reduce energy used by 60w bulbs".

I was momentarily irritated, then grabbed the "formerly 75w bulbs" now reduced to 67w. For some f-ed up reason, it actually felt like a moral victory over these relentless enviro-nazis.

I doubt I could actually discern the difference between the 52w and the 60w, but I felt I had been pushed too far. I no longer had a choice- it was no longer, "please use less, to save the environment." it had become, "USE LESS, you POLAR BEAR KILLER!!!"

The line will have to be drawn somewhere. I actually got a smug sense of satisfaction from my "act of rebellion". Anyone else feel that they have been forced into to much of this- and have lost the right to choose whether or not you wish to comply?
    You're right you probably won't notice a difference between 52w and 60w. But if you allow them to force a 52w on you now then what stops them from forcing a 44w on you later?

BTW not sure if you know this but watt is a measure of power usage, not light output (that's usually measured in lumens). A more efficient bulb could put out the equivalent lumens of a 60watt bulb while using less wattage.
    For example, those compact fluorescent bulbs use around 15watts to output the same lumens as a 60watt incandescent. I hate them though, the light is an ugly tone and I find it flickery.

Was the 52watt bulb just a normal incandescent bulb or was it a more efficient one?

9. Lounge   -   #19
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I did not know people would being pulling out 44's over light bulbs
    What is this world coming to?
    Last edited by pone44; 10-22-2009 at 01:05 AM.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    At the end of the day it shouldn't matter what Wattage a lightbulb is, as long as it doesn't leave you wandering round in the dark bumping into things

I think the whole point was the fact that choice was being taken away and changes from 'the norm' being forced upon megabyteme unwillingly... but yeah... I hope no-one get's mad enough to get the 44's out
    Last edited by Burnsy; 10-22-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast