Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shady hardware specs?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've been looking at internal TB drives as I'm in the market to purchase one in a day or two. However, I'm noticing quite a few sites that don't list drive RPM speeds.

For example, I found this drive at my local Fry's but with barely any specs listed at all. I Googled the model number and found a link to Samsungs website. Surely they would have the specs listed, right? Nope.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...&model_cd=440#

I'd like to buy the drive but, not if it's a 5400 RPMer. Am I missing something?

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    No, I don't think you are.

If you look at the equivalent Spinpoint F (HD103UJ) which has a stated rotational speed of 7200rpm you see that the average latency is 4.17ms.

Compare that with the drive you looked at and you see that the average latency is 5.52ms.

7200 x 4.17 / 5.52 = 5439

It will use (marginally) less power at 5400rpm which allows them to put it in the Ecogreen bracket, but more likely it is simply that something doesn't meet the tolerances required to run reliably at 7200rpm
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Pretty sure this is your drive on Newegg and it has it listed as 5400 bud

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Thanks for that, fellows.

Could you recommend a good TB drive that I can use for backups? I'll be backing up 250GB of music, some apps, maybe some other media, etc...

I'd like to buy two of them as I could use the extra space to begin with. That being said, I'd like to watch the price a bit.

Are they all pretty much the same? Should I just pick out a SATA, 32MB cache, 1 TB, 7200RPM drive of any major brand name and then just find the lowest price?
    Last edited by Skiz; 12-02-2009 at 10:20 PM.

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'd say go with Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM I have 2 of them and I bought one for a friend and haven't had a problem at all. also it has a decent Newegg rating and the price isn't too bad either

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    The earlier mentioned Samsung F1's are also very solid drives imo; fast, quiet and reliable.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Last edited by MadIrish; 12-03-2009 at 06:27 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Bought.

edit...

The Seagate one. I came here to post and madirish slipped in right before me.

I saw that Samsung one as well. I already have a Seagate and it's run well for several years now so I just stuck with that brand. Thanks for the input tho'.
    Last edited by Skiz; 12-03-2009 at 06:37 AM.

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Bought.

edit...

I saw that Samsung one as well. I already have a Seagate and it's run well for several years now so I just stuck with that brand. Thanks for the input tho'.
    Great series of drives. I have 2 of the 500 GB 7200.12 running in raid 0, works like a charm. No problems, completely silent, drives (and previous gens, ie 7200.11/10) have never failed on me.

Now if I could only get my ATI cards to not sound like a fricking jet engine...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Water cool 'em!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Bought.

edit...

The seagate one you picked is nice. That and Samsung's F3 are both built around 500GB platters and I've been looking at them for a while. I've got a WD 1TB Greenpower* like that, but it's slower.

Decided on WD blacks, though, but right now you still can't be sure which drive you're getting with a WD black, there are both single and dual platter 500GB drives about with the same model number

*Aka the mystery-RPM series, choked somewhere between 5400 and 7200.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast